• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Modern day VCR equivalents

sunnyday

Standard Member
Hello

I would really appreciate some advice please. I would like to record tv/sat/any sort of video stream onto a PVR, such that it could then be played back on my PC.

Not sure if this is entirely right, but it seems to me that the move from analogue to digital has sent us back in the above respect. The only PVRs I can find are tied specifically to Freeview or Freesat. So, it looks like one needs a separate PVR for Freeview and for Freesat! It used to be so convenient to be able to record anything really onto a VCR!

My Panasonic plasma TV has built-in Freeview and Freesat tuners, so I would be paying again for this duplication of electronics by the present-day PVRs. For example, this TV made my perfectly capable Humax FOX T STB redundant as the tuner is now built into the TV.

I can find simple SCART to SD card Freeview recorders on Amazon, but I'm not sure that they would record from the SCART output of my set-top box. They seem to be Freeview decoders in themelves.

Could you explain what my options are please?

Gavtech

Administrator
Hello

I would really appreciate some advice please. I would like to record tv/sat/any sort of video stream onto a PVR, such that it could then be played back on my PC.

Not sure if this is entirely right, but it seems to me that the move from analogue to digital has sent us back in the above respect. The only PVRs I can find are tied specifically to Freeview or Freesat. So, it looks like one needs a separate PVR for Freeview and for Freesat! It used to be so convenient to be able to record anything really onto a VCR!

My Panasonic plasma TV has built-in Freeview and Freesat tuners, so I would be paying again for this duplication of electronics by the present-day PVRs. For example, this TV made my perfectly capable Humax FOX T STB redundant as the tuner is now built into the TV.

I can find simple SCART to SD card Freeview recorders on Amazon, but I'm not sure that they would record from the SCART output of my set-top box. They seem to be Freeview decoders in themelves.

Could you explain what my options are please?

This 'duplication' of electronics is desirable and recommended in all recorders so that they can act totally independently of TV's.... and have integrated timers which provides a hugely beneficial degree of control and facility.

A great problem of recording from TV itself [ using the TV's tuner ] means that you cannot watch anything else whilst recording, you must keep the TV ON or the recording will be messed up, and due to technical limitations, the maximal quality that can be recorded by this route is poor quality.

An additional problem occurs for you because seemingly you wish to be able to record from either of two platforms : Freesat and Freeview... and as you say, equipment is dedicated to one or the other.

Regarding your options, an important point to make is that PVR's by definition of the technology cannot record any external sources.
They can only record what comes in via their aerial source.

Thus any PVR dedicated to one platform would not be able to record anything from the other [ from your TV]
So if you took the PVR route, and wished access to both platforms you would require two PVR's , one for each platform.

DVDR's can record from external sources. Similarly, they can also be dedicated to one platform or the other , but not both.
But with a DVD recorder you would be able to record in integrated fashion from the platform to which it is dedicated, and also be able to record from the other using the TV tuner as the source.... but it would still have all the limitations mentioned above.

The main point is that recording from TV is an almost useless solution, difficult , restrictive, very prone to failure to record... and so any choices you make should seek to avoid that.

sunnyday

Standard Member
This 'duplication' of electronics is desirable and recommended in all recorders so that they can act totally independently of TV's.... and have integrated timers which provides a hugely beneficial degree of control and facility.

A great problem of recording from TV itself [ using the TV's tuner ] means that you cannot watch anything else whilst recording, you must keep the TV ON or the recording will be messed up, and due to technical limitations, the maximal quality that can be recorded by this route is poor quality.

An additional problem occurs for you because seemingly you wish to be able to record from either of two platforms : Freesat and Freeview... and as you say, equipment is dedicated to one or the other.

Regarding your options, an important point to make is that PVR's by definition of the technology cannot record any external sources.
They can only record what comes in via their aerial source.

Thus any PVR dedicated to one platform would not be able to record anything from the other [ from your TV]
So if you took the PVR route, and wished access to both platforms you would require two PVR's , one for each platform.

DVDR's can record from external sources. Similarly, they can also be dedicated to one platform or the other , but not both.
But with a DVD recorder you would be able to record in integrated fashion from the platform to which it is dedicated, and also be able to record from the other using the TV tuner as the source.... but it would still have all the limitations mentioned above.

The main point is that recording from TV is an almost useless solution, difficult , restrictive, very prone to failure to record... and so any choices you make should seek to avoid that.

Thanks Gavtech

I now understand the current options better, and just want to ask whether anyone provides good quality combined Freeview+Freesat PVRs, or whether there is a graphics card for PCs which might provide this functionality. This would allow the liberty of switching between platforms as felt desirable in the future.

Also, could non-"free to air" channels be accessed on them using the appropriate cards from providers.

darucla

You can use both DVB-S2 and T2 tuner cards with a PC. There also devices like the Vu+Duo which are basically satellite based, but can be extended with the use of DVB-T/T2 USB devices.
As mentioned, most DVD recorders function in much the same way as VCRs, allowing recordings via Scart.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Icecrypt do at least one T/S PVR.

petrev

ICECRYPT STC6000 HD PVR 2 CARD READER & 2 CI - Turbosat International Ltd
Expensive, but you can select at point of purchase satellite or terrestrial tuners. I don't know anyone who's bought one yet.
It's a re-branded version of a Fortis HX-8200HD. I was able to find a user manual somewhere on this page:- FORTIS

Hi

Can't find the manual ?

Front is almost the same as the Fortis FS-9200HD (different Display)

Rear is almost the same as the Fortis HX-8200HD (Extra eSATA on ICECRYPT)

Features appear to be mostly from 8200 (no mention of MKV on ICECRYPT but extra card slot !)
EDIT: Icecrypt Website = +MKV - 2.5HDD upto 1TB + 1080p

No mention of the great UK T2 Bugbear - AAC 5.1 Transcoding to DD5.1 ! ! !

Can you post a link to the manual ?

Cheers
Pete

Last edited:

darucla

Hi

No mention of the great UK T2 Bugbear - AAC 5.1 Transcoding to DD5.1 ! ! !

Cheers
Pete

This is indeed the elephant in the room with any non-Freeview+ certified units. I am not aware of any pc based solution for this yet (Windows 7 MC downmixes to stereo), and I suspect the same holds true for units like the STC 6000. Not a problem with satellite tuners though.

Last edited:

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
I saw something in a Tesco a while back that was basically a box that accepted incoming video signals from several sources (ie, a Freeview box, a Freesat box, etc) and recorded it to USB attached drives, and it claimed these could be plugged into a computer to view/edit. I think it had 3 or 4 video inputs, and 4 USB slots for thumb drives, hard drives etc. Cannot for the life of me remember what it was called or who it was made by though!

MarkPax

I think the manual might have been pulled, it was on the Downloads page IIRC. It's also badged as the Octagon SF1018P, also some discussion forums here. Some discussion of it among Toppy users here. I was most interested in whether it was a proper successor to the Toppy TF58x0, and I think it is. It's highly programmable from the looks of it. Unfortunately it's hellish expensive. And it's not Freeview+ certified, IIRC the manual does not mention any Freeview+ features (eg Accurate Record).

petrev

I think the manual might have been pulled, it was on the Downloads page IIRC. It's also badged as the Octagon SF1018P, also some discussion forums here. Some discussion of it among Toppy users here. I was most interested in whether it was a proper successor to the Toppy TF58x0, and I think it is. It's highly programmable from the looks of it. Unfortunately it's hellish expensive. And it's not Freeview+ certified, IIRC the manual does not mention any Freeview+ features (eg Accurate Record).

TurboSat ICECRYPT STC6000 ... S2+T2+320GB = £339.95

:rolleyes:

If you have the Manual as a PDF ? Can you upload it to MegaUpload or Box.net say ? ? ?

Cheers
Pete

Last edited:

steford

It used to be so convenient to be able to record anything really onto a VCR!

A VCR though recorded from an internal tuner but could accept manual external inputs. These days you really need to select progs from the EPG so the device needs to have the EPG - hence Freeview or Freesat dedicated machines. PVRs run exactly the same way as VCRs did - except now I guess we have at least double the number of platforms to record from.

To play back on your PC you are definitely moving into the realms of hobby electronics devices rather than mainstream, bog standard Freeview/Freesat you can buy in Currys. Be prepared to be tinkering with firmware updates and the like to keep things running smoothly.

MarkPax

TurboSat ICECRYPT STC6000 ... S2+T2+320GB = £339.95

:rolleyes:

If you have the Manual as a PDF ? Can you upload it to MegaUpload or Box.net say ? ? ?

Cheers
Pete
Sorry, can't find it on my Mac. (Useless, aren't I ;)). It was pretty unexciting feature-wise, lots of pages about how to tune it in terrestrial & satellite modes.

Price has come down a lot, IIRC it was >£400 when the Toppy debate started a couple of weeks ago. Now almost reasonable.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom