Modern AVRs and Video Processors...?!?

ranakirti

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi fellas,

I had a query about modern AVRs. They all seem to come equipped with Hi-tech video processors like HQV Vida, Marvel Qdeo etc. I understand they can upscale DVDs and make them look better etc.

But can they also make any impact on and improve...

1. Bluray Discs... i mean isn't a Bluray disc alreay at the highest quality possible by default ?

2. HD channels delivered via Cable/Sattelite. I belive the HD feeds from the cable box are @ 1080i or 720p.

Do the video processors like HQV Vida, Marvel Qdeo improve the above in anyway ?

Regards,

Rana.

It all depends on the amp you are looking at. None are going to upscale a bluray since it is already at max resolution. Some of the higher end recievers may allow some adjustment of the picture in terms of colour etc. so allow easier calibration (if going done the ISF route) but personally I would look at a dedicated video processor if going down that route and the TV controls are not enough.
Sky HD is 1080i so just need deinterlacing and again I would prefer to get a dedicated video processor to do this if the one on my TV was not adequate.
I would buy an AVR on the sound quality it produces and not on its video processing abilities. If it happens to have a video processor you can test it to see if it improves anything but considering both your TV and probably bluray/DVD player also upscale anyway I see a lot of the video processing bits (especially at the lower end of the market) and just a box ticking gadget exercise more than anything of real value.

I understand they can upscale DVDs and make them look better etc.
Actually, the second half of your sentence is not the case. Excepting some very expensive audio devices that cost a small fortune, video processing is a "check-box" feature.

Your TV comes with comparable processors as does any modern source player, unless of course you're using a really cheap TV / player with a really expensive receiver, but the weakest component will anyway be the limiting factor.
Do the video processors like HQV Vida, Marvel Qdeo improve the above in anyway ?
There are dedicated devices that really do do a good job of what they're supposed to do. Coupled with kit of comparable quality, they do permit you to achieve that extra level of performance. Adding an expensive video processor to a typical LCD TV however is typically rather pointless, the money being better spent in getting a high end, calibrated display.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom