1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moderator requests your opinions please!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Mar 24, 2002.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi Folks,

Now, I've been a Moderator here in the DVD Talk forum for about a month, and I want to know what you all genuinely think of my job so far.

I need you to be TOTALLY HONEST with me here, please, even if you think I may not like your response. I'm not going to be banning anyone, or having a go or whatever so please don't worry on that side of things. (Well, I won't do that, unless you really do step out of line. :D )

I just want to make sure that what I've done so far has been acceptable to the group as a whole - and Spectre as well.

As you may have noticed, I have closed a couple of threads, deleted one, and whenever I've intervened in disputes/disagreements, I've always put down my reasons for my intervention.

What does everyone think then? Am I being too draconian? Am I being too lenient? Or, as I hope, do you think that my actions so far, have been in line with the job of Moderator.

Please respond to this thread only, and I will happily discuss or answer any concerns, queries or questions that you may have. However, I can't guarantee that I will be able to respond to everyones comments, though I will try my best.

I hope you will all take time to respond.

Thanks.

Pooch

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    'Pointon pats PoochJD on the head approvingly'

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Members of these forums may not "Question the judgments or actions of forum moderators"

Forum rule number 10

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Cutten Paced,

Umm, no offence, but I doubt that Spectre would complain at me for simply asking people's opinions about whether I'm being a good Moderator or bad Moderator. After all, I have stated that I only want to make certain I'm doing my job right.

Pooch

5. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Don't agree with you closing the Ring0s thread but other than that you've been crap. :D

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pooch

Agreed.....your awful! lol

no complaints from me! :D

ad

7. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you take a very reasoned approach to you duties. Please keep up the good work.

(Could try harder at woodwork).

8. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pooch

You the man!!!!!:p

9. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A month probably isn't long enough but I suspect that if no one has complained about you... then by default you must be doing alright.

Shouldn't you be asking Spectre this question?

10. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +996
    I wasn't aware you'd actually done anything yet, which is always a good sign.
    Subliminal moderation.

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi Folks,

Thanks for the responses so far.... I think! :D

The reason I asked you folks, is to avoid bias really. I'm not saying that Spectre would or wouldn't be biased, but at least by getting responses from Forum Users, I can get a better idea of if I really am (or at least appear to be) doing a good job.

As for the Ringos thread, well I did explain my rationale for closing it. However, I am happy to reopen it, if many of you feel that it would be worthwhile - and I don't mean just for mass speculation or slating of Ringos or the people behind it. (I want to make sure that AVForums doesn't get into trouble, with potentially libellous or slanderous comments, as it could lead to a lot of hassle both for Spectre and possibly for the individual who posted the comments.)

Therefore, if you would like me to reopen the Ringos thread, let me know here, and I will do so, unless I am told otherwise by either yourselves or Spectre.

Cheers, :)

Pooch

12. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pooch,

I would favour keeping the RingOs thread closed since discussion only leads to speculation and speculation only leads to wild speculation (as with other sites). If new, relevant information surfaces, then a thread could justifiably be kept open and suitably moderated.

2p worth

13. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Pooch,

Do you know that you are unable to recieve Personal Messages?

I have sent you some emails but you never reply? Or are you ignoring me? :( :mad: :confused: :D

14. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Pooch ... IMO you have been as much use to this forum as a one legged man in an arse kicking contest :D... only kidding top job - but you should really see someone about the masochistic side to your personality - keep up the good work blah blah blah ... Paul ;)

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In the light of the consolidation of the LOTR thread it would be interesting to see whether opinions have changed.

Personally (and this is at Pooch's invitation) I believe that a good moderator works unseen and that cannot be said in this instance.

If I hadn't looked beforehand I couldn't have told you who the other forum moderators were here but Pooch certainly makes his presence felt.

16. Ghoulies!

Ghoulies!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Pooch should have discussed the LOTR thread with other moderators before taking the action he has done. Obviously no-one else agrees with what he has done.

17. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Couldn't agree more.

18. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm, without wishing to offend anyone, I find Pooch's posts a little egotistical. I am not aware of any other moderators posting threads asking how well they are doing. Also, I am not aware on any of them making a unilateral decision to combine threads as per the LOTR debate. I believe that a good moderator shouldn't really be noticed. I don't believe these forums are difficult to moderate and so it should all run fairly smoothly. The obvious exception is when the Coaxial v Optical debate gets going.....

19. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fight, fight, fight!

20. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Evening,

Okay. I accept that I may have acted incorrectly in this instance, and I apologise for that. I also, with the benefit of hindsight, should probably also have consulted with Spectre or any of the other Moderator's, but it didn't (at the time) seem necessary.

Ashearer - You said: "I find Pooch's posts a little egotistical. I am not aware of any other moderators posting threads asking how well they are doing. Also, I am not aware on any of them making a unilateral decision to combine threads as per the LOTR debate. I believe that a good moderator shouldn't really be noticed. I don't believe these forums are difficult to moderate and so it should all run fairly smoothly."

Let me take you up on those points, one at a time.

1) I was never trying to be an egotist when asking how I was doing as a (at that time) new Moderator. I simply wanted to get an idea from those of you who used the forums, who weren't Moderator's, to tell me if I was being okay, or being too harsh, or what ever. My ego had nothing to do with my posting that question, and I'm not sorry if that is how you saw it!

2) You are right about "good moderators" should not be noticed, and that the forums aren't difficult to moderate. They aren't difficult. However, as I have said previously, I was only acting in what I thought was for the best interest of everyone using the DVD Talk forum. I have since, however, admitted that I was wrong, and apologised for my action.

With regards to "making my presence felt", maybe I am more noticeable than other Mod's. I don't necessarily think that is bad, as long as I don't abuse the position I am in! I want to remain as fair to everyone, as I can be. I won't take one person's side over another, but will weight up both sides, before making any decisions. I also try and justify my actions, so that nobody feels like I'm doing my job "under the cover of darkness", per se. I want all of you to make me accountable for decisions I may make in my role as a Moderator. If I do something, and people disagree with me, then tell me (just as you all have done), and I will make my case. If I'm wrong in a decision, I will admit it, and apologise or state why I did what I did. I'm not the kind of person who thinks that just because I'm a Forum Moderator, what I say goes. It doesn't work like that. More to the point, I DON'T work like that!

Now, for everyone else, may I politely ask that we stop all the silly little "jokes" starting new threads about "So when's LOTR" coming out on DVD?" as it's now about as funny as Herpes! :rolleyes: I accept and acknowledge I was in the wrong on this. Now, could we all please move on? Please?!

Thank You. :)

Pooch

21. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Pooch,

I am afraid that I dragged up this old thread to have a pop at you for an "excess of zeal". It's never easy to admit even the slightest imperfection but you have done so and apologised, for which I applaud you.

There is nothing to be gained by prolonging this discussion any further so I ask you all in my capacity as just an ordinary member to leave it be now.

22. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    (allegedly)

:D :D :p

23. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fair enough Pooch. My comments were a tad harsh. I am very aware of your presence on this forum although that is partly because yours are some of the more well thought out and well written posts.

24. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How about:

Take one slate belonging to Pooch. Take one cloth. Wipe Pooch's slate clean. Forget about all of this, and get on with what's important - DVD's!

25. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just love a happy ending