Modem woes

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gammy leg, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Gammy leg

Gammy leg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Chaps

I am waiting for talktalk broadband connection and in the meantime have tried to connect with dial-up via my 56k modem. I get a messeage on the screen to say that no dial tone has been detected. I have checked cables, phone line, modem settings etc and can find nothing wrong. I was wondering whether the broadband 'marker' that is still on the line from previous owners of the house could be to blame?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Gammy

2. Big_Vern

Big_Vern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Might be an obvious one to ask but is there a 1571 voicemail service on the line? This produces an interunpted dial tone that the modem cannot recognise.

Regards

Big_Vern

3. Gammy leg

Gammy leg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the reply Big Vern. Not sure if we have 1571 on our new line but I can confirm that there are no messages on the line so the dial tone is continuous as you would expect. As I said before I have checked all the 'obvious' stuff and can only conclude that the broadband marker is screwing this up. The previous owners ISP was Tiscali but trying to get any sense out of them without being redirected to about 100 different operators - all seemingly based in India - is all but impsossible.
    I have put this problem to talktalk via email to customer services but have yet to receive a reply. Can't get through to their technical support line cos it's always too busy. TT is different to most companies cos you don't get the option to hold, they just tell you to call back later and cut you off.

Thanks

Gammy

4. Big_Vern

Big_Vern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Could it be down to a duff filter, do you have another one you could try?

I'm fairly sure a mate was connected by broadband on his desktop and via dial-up on his works laptop at the same time but it might the old grey cells letting me down!

Regards

Big_Vern