Modem to suit Belkin N+ Router?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Broxi1979, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Broxi1979

Broxi1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Due to a recent new wireless N laptop purchase, I bought a new Belkin N+ Router to go with it based on it being the PC Pro A List wireless router.

However in my ongoing crusade to be a complete dunce at all things networking, I didn't pick up on the fact that it needs a seperate modem between it and the telephone socket.

I've been used to using my Netgear DG834G Modem Router and thought this was just the way things were for every router. :rolleyes:

What modem would you recommend for this?

I don't really want something big and bulky or should I just try and send this back and look for a modem router, for the money I paid, there should be something available.

2. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    You will be hard pressed to find one and it won't be cheap. I'd send it back and get the correct all-in-one.

If you decide not to take that advice, you need an ADSL2+ Modem with an Ethernet port.

3. Broxi1979

Broxi1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Yeah, I noticed on Play.com that there were 2 kinds (cable & adsl one) so I'm returning this one.

I notice that the reviews say the adsl one doesn't have "gigabit ethernet", what does this mean?

Is this something I should preferably have?

4. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    The built-in Ethernet switches in most domestic routers are 10/100, That is to say they can connect devices at 10 or 100 Mb/s. A Gigabit switch connects devices at 10, 100 or 1000 Mb/s, depending on what Ethernet adapter is in the device.

Gigabit is useful for moving huge files around your home network. For general Internet use however it does not buy you anything.

5. Broxi1979

Broxi1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I swapped this over for the modem router N+

I noticed this has a network storage option, so I connected an external HDD to it via USB, however I can't seem to get the Belkin Storage Manager to work, does anyone have this router that can give advise on how to see the files on the HDD?

When I click the Storage Manager .exe, some sort of side bar appears on screen for a split second but nothing happens after that.

6. gerbot

gerbot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem.
    A Belkin N= router.

I've two usb external HD and neither seems to be picked up.

i can't find any guide information for this software.

I've tried sticking a usb memory stick into the back of the router with relative success. It was recognized but only after a computer reboot.

The big clue to me seems to be that on the front of the router the blue light to signify the external HD is never alight. However with the pen drive it did come on. I suspect it is some kind of problem where the usd port is not powered or it might be that the HDs require a signal of some kind which the router does not send.

Either way I'm totally lost and disappointed as this was the feature the clinched the deal on this router over so many others for me.

7. Ridgeb@ck

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simple USB Sticks seem to work fine - the Belkin storage will map it as a drive. External USB drives need their own power supply as far as I can tell otherwise the N= doesn't want to play with them.:)

8. HUEZEY

HUEZEY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too made an error in buying the cable version of belkin N+, in an attempt to make my net connections better. Unfortunatly i have been told i can't return as it no longer has plastic wrapping. does anyone have any advice as to wether i should keep it and connect it to my bt voyager adsl modem, which i think is adsl 2+. will this be as quick as the belkin all in one adsl n+. and on the subject of attacthing hard drives, does it work if you plug in the external drive!?

9. istrickl

istrickl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Sorry about being slightly speculative, but might be interested in buying your n+ cable router if it's not for you. What might you want for it?

Cheers,
    Ivan

10. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    don't turn this into a forsale/wanted thread we have classified forums for that, try contacting the poster via PM so this thread can stay on topic.

Curly

11. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    thats Mod Comment: word removed, Circumventing the swear filter - non return due to wrapping, you can return it under distance selling regs, regardless

where did you buy it from?...id be complaining big style

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2009
  12. gerbot

gerbot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for the people who find this thread during their research.

I ended up giving up on the extra features.
    I still use this for my wireless but I've set up jungle disk with Amazon cloud storage which has been working really well.
    t is slower than the Belkin solution and probably more expensive but if the house burns down or I'm robbed in a big way, I now have an off site backup solution which I can access from anywhere.

13. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    im glad youve seen sense, as per on many posts on here, with disapointed customers

the USB attach a hard drive feature on most consumer routers is just a marketing gimmick, rather than a useable feature

Think about it logically - most consumer NAS boxes need 500Mhz/256MB RAM to host a hard drive on the network and serve data, with remotely acceptable performance

Most routers have a 300-400Mhz CPU (at best) and 32-64MB RAM

they are just not up to the job

so you end up plugging in your USB2 Hard drive that will do 40-50MB/s read/write etc and cripple it to 900KB/s or 2MB/s etc

its just how it is - unless you are buying a high-power router, with 650-700MHZ, loads of RAM etc ...but they are few and far between right now :(