Modem router ???

Blueye

I cant seem to find any coherent reviews of Modem/routers on this forum or INTERNET. I must be doing some thing wrong.
I intend to run a tranquil pc A3i Windows home server with a squeezebox duet. I want to focus on wired connections with some wireless capability. I get my broadband from virgin. The tranquil will interface via the router.
Any experienced based recommendations for a Modem router?:lease:
Thanks for your anticipated time.
Blueye

beerhunter

Novice Member
I cant seem to find any coherent reviews of Modem/routers on this forum or INTERNET. I must be doing some thing wrong.
I intend to run a tranquil pc A3i Windows home server with a squeezebox duet. I want to focus on wired connections with some wireless capability. I get my broadband from virgin. The tranquil will interface via the router.
Any experienced based recommendations for a Modem router?:lease:
Thanks for your anticipated time.
Blueye
If you are on Virgin Media Cable you do not need a modem/router you need what is often called a Cable Router.

If you have an ADSL service from Virgin, I have often commented on Routers with built-in ADSL modems on these forums but do not have any experience on Cable Routers.

Not sure what you mean by: "The tranquil will interface via the router."

Blueye

Thanks Beerhunter
The tranquil PC is a windows home server that has a number of usb and Ethernet inputs. The vendors have informed me that data from my hard disc on my computer is exported to the tranquil PC via the net work (backed up media files) and you can stream internet radio etc when your main computer is off.
I have a cable modem with a usb b input. I'm informed that I need a router to connect the tranquil PC home server.
I cant understand why the usb ports aren't used for this purpose.
If I need a cable router what model would be good. I mainly want to use it wired with cat 6a or cat 7 ethernet cables.
Clearly I'm new to all this so I suspect I'm in danger of disappearing only where colonoscopys go!!
Thanks for any more ideas and beerhunter if you have any more to add I wold appreciate that.
Blueye

Ned Senior

Hi blueye :hiya:
I had a basic befsr41 wired router by linksys for a while when with virgin and it worked great ( I believe you HAVE to use cat 5 cable with it tho' according to a linksys techie I had an online chat with via linksys.com) the units can be bought at amazon see link-:
Linksys Etherfast BEFSR41 Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

hope this helps :):thumbsup:

Ned

Thanks Beerhunter
The tranquil PC is a windows home server that has a number of usb and Ethernet inputs. The vendors have informed me that data from my hard disc on my computer is exported to the tranquil PC via the net work (backed up media files) and you can stream internet radio etc when your main computer is off.
I have a cable modem with a usb b input. I'm informed that I need a router to connect the tranquil PC home server.
I cant understand why the usb ports aren't used for this purpose.
If I need a cable router what model would be good. I mainly want to use it wired with cat 6a or cat 7 ethernet cables.
Clearly I'm new to all this so I suspect I'm in danger of disappearing only where colonoscopys go!!
Thanks for any more ideas and beerhunter if you have any more to add I wold appreciate that.
Blueye

Blueye

Thanks Ned:hiya:
Can you use a ADSL router on virgin cable? (DSL)
I would love to hear more router recommendations.
Whats different about CAT5E & CAT 6 Ethernet cables?
Thanks to any one who bothers to reply:thumbsup:

t72bogie

Novice Member
if you are on Virgin ADSL then its BT wholesale providing it, so get something proven to work well on BT.

One of the most commonly used adsl modem routers in the UK would be the Netgear DG834G ...if you are not worried about new, then pick em up on ebay for £20

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom