modem/router q

hi

will this enable simple internet use for 2 machines connected together to form a simple network to also enable both machines to see and share data between them?

Scan.co.uk: Edimax BR-6314K Fast Ethernet 10/100 Broadband Router with 4 port switch

Silent

Assuming you have a cable connection (eg Virgin Media) or a local area connection (leased line) to the internet this will work.

Edimax BR-6314K - Fast Ethernet Broadband Router

If on the other hand you are on a telephone line (ADSL) connection (eg BT, Talk Talk, Sky etc) then you will not be able to connect as this kit does not have a modem. You would need to add a modem with an RJ45 connection to feed the Bradbad to your network. By the time you source and buy both you would be better off finding an integrated ADSL Modem Router.

As to sharing between your computers, this kit willmake the physical connections but the shring side will be done within he Operating System (Windows or Linux) and again if you follow the "rules" eg Workgroup naming etc then all will connect. You should be able to share a printer between the PCs too.

C

ADSL modem is in place. I want to add this to it and create simple network. Modem is simple isp one with phone cable connected to one machine.

ADSL modem is in place. I want to add this to it and create simple network. Modem is simple isp one with phone cable connected to one machine.

I am assuuming you may have a USB Modem (like a speedtouch)? If so this will lack the RJ45 ports and associated switching that you need to create a network.

It is possible to joint computers together with a network cable aloine to make a peer to peer simple network but to be honesrt the one time I tried it I ended up pulling my hair out.

So simple ways to get things moving

1. If it is a USB modem then a chane to an ADSL Modem Router is probavly your best solution - one with 4 ports on it for Cat5e cables. (see 3 below)

2. If it is one like Talk Talk used to send out - with just 1 RJ45 poprt connecting to your PC then a 5 port simple switch for about £7 - £8 will do the trick

3. As suggested above - if you have an ADSL USB modem then have a word with your ISP about an upgrade to their latest modem router - it may be free but equally they may want a contract extension as part of sending you one.

For more help if you can let us know what make and model your current modem is (and ISP name too) we may be able to help more.

Whatever solution you follow the OS issue of sharing PC access to the 2 PCs stays the same.

C

i may go for this one them, suit all and is wireless to. doesn't need to be expensive, just do a job.

Best Value Wireless 802.11n 300Mbps 4-Port DSL Broadband Rout (GR-724W) - dabs.com

thanks for your help!

Your original thread title was modem/router so in the absence of you not telling what your connection type is - these are a final attempt to ensure you are buying what you actually need

If you are on a Cable Broadband service eg VIRGIN or separate adsl modem (NO ROUTER) attached to a BT line with an RJ45 output FROM THE MODEM this will work. It is a Cable/DSL Router not an ADSL Modem Router.

If you only have a BT/TalkTalk/Sky ADSL connection and no separate modem then you will not be able to connect to the internet without a modem - in that instance an ADSL Modem Router will be a better way forward.

Good shopping

C

sorry, yes i need an adsl as its a usb ****tie old one

Last edited by a moderator:
In the light of previous advice you have the option of going to your ISP and asking them to replace the USB modem with a router modem, but again beware of contract negotiations - you could tie yourself up with more expense in the long run.

There are many modem touters available and the lowest price may not be the worst and the dearest the best.

I had a root around and the following offers popped up - maybe a search though the classifieds on this forum may also unearth a bargain too.

TP-Link TD-W8901G ADSL 2+ Wireless Router (150Mbps)

Note the page shows this to be a 150 Mbps wireless N but it is only a wireless G - but from what you seem to be looking for you may not even use the wireless functionality.

If you feel you want wireless N then then something like this may prove to be an answer:

Buffalo AirStation WBMR-HP-GN ADSL2+ Wireless-N Router High Power (150Mbps)

Other searches may find you other bargains - I use broadbandbuyer for my network gear. My local Computer shop swears by TP Link and sell loads of them but I have never used one though I have put their switches in for other people, no problems.

Hope this helps and now you know what you need to source if not the actual model.

C

EDIT

If budget is an issue - just saw this!!!

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=8959

They may as well give them away - complete with 12 months warranty!

C

Last edited:
its for someone else but ordered a belkin adsl2+ wireless router with free usb dongle in the end.

thanks again.

i guess it can setup the work group wirelessly to with the 2 computers and share same printer attached to one of the machines?

i guess it can setup the work group wirelessly to with the 2 computers and share same printer attached to one of the machines?

To use the wireless functionality of the modem router, you will need a wireless card or usb dongle in each computer or link the computers to the router with Cat5e utp cables.

For file and printer sharing, as mentioned earlier, you will need to authorise this in your OS.

For Vista, as an example, you do this in Network and sharing centre. If you google sharing files and printers in Windows xxxxx (put in what your current OS is) then you will fid loads of help to set this up.

C

1 will be wired to the router and the 2nd machine will be usb wireless dongled. hooking it up to test tonight.

well, hooked them up, both wireless to the new router and created the network as workgroup and both machines pick each other up. my win 7 laptop can look at files etc on my freshly formatted and win 7 desktop but not the other way around. error message comes up saying does not recognise the computer name even though it is there under the windows explorer. all settings are exactly the same on both machines, anyone have any suggestions?

hi

will this enable simple internet use for 2 machines connected together to form a simple network to also enable both machines to see and share data between them?

Scan.co.uk: Edimax BR-6314K Fast Ethernet 10/100 Broadband Router with 4 port switch

Definitely. A modem and a router will enable 2 computers to connect to the Internet since a router has a DHCP server that can give more than one IP address. It also has a capability to share files between them, just make sure that you enable file and printer sharing and no firewall is enabled. Sometimes a firewall may block some packets during transmission.

Definitely. A modem and a router will enable 2 computers to connect to the Internet since a router has a DHCP server that can give more than one IP address. It also has a capability to share files between them, just make sure that you enable file and printer sharing and no firewall is enabled. Sometimes a firewall may block some packets during transmission.

newaj

In passing - the unit listed by the OP was lacking a mode, (ie it wasa cable router) so whilst you are right the OP finally realsed the need for an ADSL router.

Funnily, whilst digging around in a pile of auction stock I bought I have come across a brandnew ADSL modem with RJ45 outlet, furter down in th box I bought is a shrink wrapped wireless (G) router! So working out what I paid for evrything in the box at auction - I reckon about 50p for each ofthe above items.

C!

cheers guys. i haven't checked the firewall yet as that could be the reason my desktop doesn't recognise my laptop hame, keeps saying:

does not recognise \\ian-win7 pc. keeps wanting to check for errors but says check the source machine. have done that and it works fine.

any ideas?

any advice guys, 1 wired pc to a router and one wireless.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom