Modem/router list for open NAT on multiple 360's

virtual_boy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The main reason of this thread is to compile a definitive list of modem/routers compatible with multiple xbox 360's on xbox live simultaneously all with open NAT, the list of xbox live compatible hardware Microsoft have put together is of no use to man nor beast and i've read of NAT issues with a number of listed products.

If your unsure then I think the best way to check is to sign into LIVE on one machine then whilst still signed in boot up the second and run the 'Test xbox live' test, the test should either complete fine or throw up an error (if im wrong in this assumption and there is a better way please correct me).
Please dont use Modern Warfare 2 to determine your NAT type as it seems to thow up moderate or strict NAT even when open for other games.

To sum up, if you regularly have multiple xbox 360's connected to xbox LIVE simultaneously all with open NAT please post your router/modem make, model and version, also if it worked out of the box or you have tweaked the settings (i.e. placed a 360 in the DMZ) and if your 360's are connected wired or wirelessly.

Compatible modem/router's
  • Belkin N1
  • Belkin 7633
  • BT Homehub v2
  • D-Link DIR-615
  • D-Link DIR-635
  • D-Link DIR-655
  • D-Link DIR-825
  • D-Link DSL-2640B
  • D-Link DSL-2640R
  • D-LINK DSL-2740B
  • D-LINK DSL-2740R
  • Draytek Vigor 2710N
  • Draytek Vigor 2800V
  • Netgear DG834G (v1,v4,v5)
  • Netgear DG834GT
  • Netgear DG834N
  • Netgear DGND3300 (v2)
  • Netgear DGN2200
  • Netgear WGR614 (v7)
  • Netgear WNR854T
  • Thomson TG-850

Last edited:
BT Homehub 2 (the black one)

2 360's with open nat while playing at same time, works out of the box with no messing about. :thumbsup:

1 wired & 1 wireless

Netgear DG834G v4
Upgrade to firmware version 5.01.14 then tick the 'Disable port scan and DOS protection' box in WAN setup (UPnP is on by default)
2 x Xbox 360, 1 x wired, 1 x wireless

Last edited:
  • D-Link 2640B with version 4.00 UK firmware to get decent wireless security.
  • The Netgear DG834G V1 with most up to date firmware, 3.01.38UK (although you probably can't get the first generation model now outside of eBay).
UPnP on both is pretty good for Open NAT on Xbox Live.

Netgear WNR854T. Works perfectly on Virgin media with 2 xboxes and a PS3. Don't do any sort of mac-filtering as then you won't be able to download or watch anything from the MarketPlace.
Standard settings, no port-forwarding. Make sure uPNP is enabled.
Mixed-mode N/G as the xbox wifi adapter is G.

Belkin 7633 is spot on.

Instantly assigns an IP via DHCP, UPNP works flawlessly.

Wireless performance is decent. It's not lightning fast even with it's 125 high speed mode but it is very stable and never drops out.

I would assume the newer Belkin N1 is better and just as reliable.

My 7633 has been on for years, literally never turned off since I first got Bulldog ADSL2+ in 2006 and since switched from Be to Sky.

UPnP (and properly implemented) is the key here for all routers.

Slim

DLINK DIR 655 gives at least 2 open NATs (I think it will do upto 4), no messing with set up it appears to do this straight out of the box.

CHeers Jamie

Draytek Vigor 2800V works fine with 2 Xboxes. I don't think there are issues with any Draytek routers, other than being a bit expensive.
Regards

Simon

D-Link DSL-2640B worked straight out the box running 2 xbox 360's with open nat. If I can get it working anyone can. There's plenty of help on the internet if you have to flash the router. I had to do this as I'm with Sky broadband.

Netgear WGR614 ( v7 ) . Worked straight out of the box with open nat. I havent tried multiple consoles on mine but a friend who has the same router has 2 on his and both were fine out of the box.

Very stable router...Its an oldie but a goodie

Most routers will set all connect gaming consoles to open as long as they have specific port forwarding setup and assigned specific IP address's.

And the part about MW2 - Never happened to me once, my xbox has always shown open. Maybe because DMZ is enabled and no specific port forwarding is the reason why NAT shows different on MW2.

One of the ports is UDP 88 that needs to be opened on the xbox.

I have three 360's (two wireless & one wired) that all need (and get) an open NAT simultaneously, with Router DHCP supplied IP addresses and just UPnP ticked in the Router settings.

I have used two modems successfully in this manner so far:

Sky supplied Sagem
Tesco supplied Thomson TG850

On a sidenote I only use Wireless "G" and found that my wireless laptop surfing was very slow when all three 360's were being used online. I resorted to using an old Netgear WAP plugged into the router to create a second Wireless "G" network just for the 360's, which has done the trick.

Last edited:
Most routers will set all connect gaming consoles to open as long as they have specific port forwarding setup and assigned specific IP address's.

And the part about MW2 - Never happened to me once, my xbox has always shown open. Maybe because DMZ is enabled and no specific port forwarding is the reason why NAT shows different on MW2.

One of the ports is UDP 88 that needs to be opened on the xbox.

I could be wrong but AFAIK most Routers only cater for one IP address in the DMZ and the relevant ports for Live can only be open and assigned to one IP Address. Thus for most this method only caters for two IP addresses in total.

Based solely on this belief (IMHO) if you want to use multiple 360's online a "working" UPnP coupled with DHCP supplied IP addresses is often the best/easiest option.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but AFAIK most Routers only cater for one IP address in the DMZ and the relevant ports for Live can only be open and assigned to one IP Address. Thus for most this method only caters for two IP addresses in total.

Based solely on this belief (IMHO) if you want to use multiple 360's online a "working" UPnP coupled with DHCP supplied IP addresses is often the best/easiest option.

To be honest mate...I know very little about DMZ...never needed to use.

You router can supply up 250 ip address for atatched devices and you can spcifically open up ports of your choice by making an entry in the port forwarding page.

Ofcourse, the more spcific ip's and ports forwarding that are set up can cause confusion in your router and cause problems.

If you have a PS3 and xbox...you should have no problems setting the NAT both to open via specific IP's and port forwarding.

Try unchecking DMZ and trying it this way. In my four years of owning a 360, my NAT has never changed from open using this method.

I have the Netgear DG834N connected to 2 Xbox 360's via ethernet. Worked straight away and no faffing about with settings was necessary. I don't even know what DMZ is, but on COD NAT settings show as OPEN.

I have the latest Official Netgear firmware.

Prior to this I had the Netgear DG834GT and that worked out of the box too.

I binned my Belkin N+ as it was a nightmare getting open nat settings even with DMZ and static ip's. It was still 1st online got open all others strict or moderate nat. Cracking router with ultra stable and fast wireless but useless for XBL.

Replaced it with a D-LINK DSL-2740B which worked straight out of the box with no static ip's. Updated the firmware for a more stable wireless connection and everything was still fine.

Edit: forgot to mention i have 3 Xboxes connected via ethernet

Has anyone tried the D-Link DSL-2740R with two or more 360s?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom