Modem needs restarting often

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Broadband' started by Pezerinno, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Hi,

Often when I'm downloading a torrent, playing a flash game, reading an online magazine etc the internet stops working and I need to restart my modem - does anyone know why this might happen? I have heard some people mention my ntl ambit 120 modem can't handle 10mb connection however I get full speed when downloading a file from a website.

2. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    If you download at full bandwidth and do not throttle your torrent client your web browsing etc will appear to stop. A reboot disconnects your torrent sharing and may welll take 30 mins to reach full speed again.

If you are throttling you client it could be a software firewall issue that is getting overloaded. If you are behind a hardware firewall you can test by switching off you software firewall.

any other info you may have ie like modem model number nat router make and model etc may help
    regards

3. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Thanks for the reply PC Nut. The modem in question is NTL ambit 120 and the router is a Linksys WRT54G. While it happens a lot when downloading a torrent (I do throttle) it also happens during normal web browsing. I use the Linksys firewall and no software ones.

Thanks again.

4. zamall.miah

zamall.miah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get the same problem and I'm on a 2mb connection! :confused:

5. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I would try just rebooting your router to be sure it is not the router that is causing the problem. If you suspect the router then check for a firmware update. I have had simmilar problems just downloading an ftp file and the router would just fall over in that case i rolled the firmware back to an earlier release.

It has been said that the ambit 120 cant handle lots of open connections like you would get with a torrent download if your sure it is the cause then give VM a ring and tell them that it just reboots it self at random and can you have a replacment.

let us know your findings

6. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Sorry for the delay in reply but I didn't have any problems for the last couple of days until today and I tried just restarting the router leaving the modem on and the internet worked/connection re-established so I assume it is a problem with my router. I will look up the firmware for it. Thanks for your help and suggestion PC Nut.

7. mlear

mlear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    hi,

just to continue this discussion, i too have the same problem with my modem and think i have isolated the problem to the modem. its the netgear wgr614 supplied by virgin.

my question is, is there a router i can buy better suited to handling loads of connections like when i use torrents etc.
    i also have the problem that when running utorrent, i can browse the web even though im on 20mb bb.

and advice welcome.

many thanks

8. jakeruston

jakeruston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sometimes have the same problem too, from Virgin, on a 20mbps connection.

I just reboot and it works again after a while, it does get annoying though.

9. PC Nut

PC Nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I to have had similar problems with netgear routers they just seem to be unable to cope with torrents that well in my experience i now stick with linksys and they tend to be ok. Router setup: make sure you have UPNP enabled and set your torrent clients port number in the port forwarding section of your router menu to the ip address that is assigned to your pc by the router, rembering that if you are using dhcp and have other pc's in the house you may not get the same ip so incoming packets will get routed to the wrong pc. Using address reservation on the router will ensure that you get the same ip regardless of who else might be using you network.
    Hope this helps