• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Modem crashing under light stress

Mr4q

Standard Member
I have an old Scientific Atlanta modem. Been using this fine for a few years now. Last couple of days it has been crashing under light use, such as watching youtube videos, loading large picture files, downloading files. You can browse the internet fine as long as you do not encounter any large images. Resetting the modem fixes the problem straight away to let you browse again. This happens when you are connected straight into the modem, so is not a router problem. Any suggestions are welcome, Thanks!

Dodgy_Geezer

Prominent Member
Welcome to AVF :hiya:

Sounds to me that the modem might be overheating, I had the same problem with an old cable router some years back. The solution was to ensure it had plenty of air and that the vents were not obstructed. It eventually died though, these things once they overheat have a limited lifespan.

If you call Virgin, they wil replace it for free or possibly even give you a SuperHub.

Mr4q

Standard Member
I was thinking that might be the case. I'll take some steps to try and cool it down now someone else has suggested it as well. Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom