Model to upgrade from VSX-AX5i-S (2004?)

netley

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello

My VSX-AX5i-S has given good service but I am minded to upgrade

1) A speaker input has snapped off at the back and so contact for one of the rear surrounds is intermittent and
2) Errr... need something new

Having a quick look at specs the VSX 2020 caught my eye, I want to have something that
a)Futureproofs
b)Represents a step-up
c)Consolidates HDMI inputs - I am currently using an external switcher to manage V+, AppleTV, Blu-ray, DVD

The rest of my system is as below - I have this direct audio link with the DV-868AVi- is that now redundant technology?

All help appreciated

My Kit
Blu-ray;Pioneer BDP-51 FD,
AV;Pioneer VSX-AX5i-S
TV;Pioneer PDP-RO4E (42")
DVD;Pioneer DV-868AVi
Speakers; kef q series (7)
Sub; KEF PSW2500
AppleTV

Last edited:
All depends on your budget and if you want to keep with Pioneer.

I had similar Pioneer equipment to you, but my amp broke down ages ago and after having it repaired still didn't work properly so I upgraded. Still got my 868 DVD player.

If I remember correctly, the AX5 was quite high end back then. Next model up was AX10, which was Pioneer's top of the range amp.

If you want to keep like for like I would suggest the LX series as a starting point. The newest ones being the ones that end in a 3. Eg LX53

I would stick with the AX5. Not much to top it from the current Pioneer range in my opinion.

R.T.

thanks

stick with the AX5 - I owned a 2011 for many years (was very happy with it) - bought one of the new ICEPower AV amps from Pio, and found it only on par (if anything 2011 SQ was slightly better) SQ wise, and not built as well

I now own a AX10Ai and love it :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom