Model Hot Air Balloons

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by partyweb, Aug 9, 2006.

1. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Last Sunday we saw a whole series of model hot air balloons take off from behind some houses in our neighbourhood one afternoon. They looked beautiful and flew up really high.

Now I totally forgot about them until tonight when I was in my back garden and I saw what could only be described as 3 UFO's fly in triangular formation overhead at great speed for a long distance and then change formation into a straight line. At 1st I thought they were 3 helicopters but there was no sound. They looked like bright orange balls of light with a slight flicker. (Not enough to be lights from planes) I thought maybe they were 3 microlights.

And then 15 mins later another 4 flew over! So with my paranoia I search the web thinking maybe this is some stunt by Thames Water to monitor our hosepipe ban. :rolleyes:

I found this site: http://www.overflite.com/ which shows how to make a model hot air balloon out of birthday candles, McDonald's straws, and dry cleaner bags.

[​IMG]

This to me sounds extremely dangerous. What if one of these were to catch fire and fall on a house or a forest. :eek:

Now according to that website this is not a new idea but something pranksters have been doing for years to freak out people and make them think they've seen UFO's. :mad:

It's new to me though. So I was wondering if anyone else has seen this and is this going to become the next dangerous craze to (ahem) 'take off' :rolleyes:

2. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    This story reminds me of the time my Dad took me to the park. He gave me a remote control controlbox, sat me infront of the park's pond and told me he'd brought me a remote control submarine and guess what, I never did see it :D

3. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    In yesterdays daily express there was a story about ufos which actually turned out to be some blokes garden lighting. They were small chinese style paper laterns which took off after the air inside heated up enough to cause lift off.

Does sound dangerous to launch those hot air ballons especially during a drought.

4. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Maybe that's what I saw instead last sunday as a lot went off in quick succession. Do you have a copy of the story still (or a link), or an idea as to where it was?

5. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Afraid the paper was thrown but I did find this link which I believe is the same story but the facts are slightly different.

EDIT: Also if you google for "chinese lantern ufo" you'll find some more that are similar.

6. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529

Cheers WibXL, well that wasn't near us then so looks like this could be a re-emerging craze then. :(