1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Model for less than £800 ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by packmanuk, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. packmanuk

packmanuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is it possible to get a good setup which is less than £800 ? I'm looking for a system that is hdtv ready and about 42 ins if possible. Anyone reccommend anything or the price i'll need to go for a great setup ?

2. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Id be very surprised if you could get one for under £800, however makro are going to be selling the Samsung SP46L6HX for £999.99, i would assume Vat is got to go onto that. I believe its from the 6th July.
    Have a look. http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15572
    Havent seen any others this cheap.

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    [edit]

I think Packman's best option is to go for br14n's suggestion of the 46' samsung from macro. Otherwise there is a forum member selling his 8 month old 46' tosh for £800. I think it was supermackem but I could be wrong. :rolleyes:

Also packman stay away from the sagem 50' it has an excellent picture but again no HDCP input, even tho there is a DVI socket.

Good luck :thumbsup:

[edit]

4. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Mmmmm...... I see the Samsung will be equipped with a HDMI input from the attachment.

I just wonder whether the set will be any better than the Sagem HD-D45 I've been checking out :confused:

Saw a Sanyo HD LCD in action today & Pioneer HD Plasma both were way too expensive ! :thumbsdow Though if you buy the Pioneer before the end of June I think you get 2 return tickets to the US :D

5. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Did you see the SP50 in a shop, if so then its not surprising it looked iffy. I know im a bit biased but believe me the PQ of the SP50 is absolutely brilliant, better than i ever expected it to be. You really need to see these sets set up in a house to see them at there best, took me a wee while to find the best settings to use but now i couldnt be happier. :clap: :clap:
    Dont start Razor on his pepsi challenges.( :hiya: Razor)

6. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    :hiya: br14n

Yes, I've seen it in Curry's & saw it yesterday in Empire Electrical (the guys who run empiredirect.co.uk). It's a monster :eek:

As you say the settings may need playing about with but it looked as if it was being fed a signal from a DVD & the picture was a little on the dark side & wasn't what you would call 'razor sharp' ! :(

In their shop Empire Electrical have 2 prices - an apparent RRP price which for some items seems way over the top :eek: & also a 'Megaclub' (or something like that) price. You can join this 'mega-thingy' for 12 months & pay £15. As a member you can buy a product in-store at the cheaper 'mega' advertised price & you also get an additional 1 year guarantee from them which isn't too bad. :smashin:

Though for probably 95% of their items & time the prices on their Empiredirect website are cheaper. Their shop is only down the road from me, so if I ever go into buy something they always sell me it at their web price which is pretty neat. :thumbsup: However selling at this price means that I cannot benefit aswell from the additional 1 year guarantee if I were to have a 'megaclub' card.

Don't know if you can get the Samsung 50" cheaper, but their web price isn't too bad.

Makes you wonder if it's worth the while thinking about one of these instead of the Sagem :confused: Though the screen would be too wide for where the telly is situated & where the hell are you supposed to put all your equipment ???

Check it out http://empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/SAM-SP50L7HX.htm

Forgot to mention that Empire Electrical's extended warranty options are really expensive. Don't know if their on-line price is the same or cheaper.....

7. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I think you may be able to pick up a HD ready LCD for under £800 but cant comment on quality and it sure as hell isnt gonna be 42"

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

The set should come with little glass stands that sit either side of the pedal stool. You can put your AV equipment there. :thumbsup:

9. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    :hiya: Razor

There's that triangular glass stand right at the bottom. Are you saying that there are some additional glass stands :confused: If so I have the whopping great Pioneer DVL-909 laserdisc/dvd combi..... would it take that ??? :rotfl:

I've been 'researching' the damn Sagem HD-D45 for ages & now this Samsung could be an option :suicide: but as I said there would be an issue accommodating the overall screen width :rolleyes:

People who have compared the Sagem & Samsung, which one do you like most for picture quality from all sources including both analogue & digital terrestrial transmissions ???

Oh well, time to look for reviews on the SP-50L7 !!! :suicide:

10. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

Razor :hiya:

Couldnt have put it better myself.

J80FAB :hiya:

Definitely down to set up, was prob using a scart too. Trust me when you get this beast set up properly with either Sky or a Dvd player it'll blow you away, it really is that good and the images are Very sharp. For the money you can pick one up for and the size of it(looks much bigger when you get it home), its an absolute bargain.
    I have all my AV gear on a Target AV rack and my centre speaker is velcroed to the glass base stand in front of the pillar, doesnt look out of place either.

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,027
    I have edited a lot of stuff out of this thread as I consider it to be unhelpful to the original poster's question and/or to anyone else with similar ideas.

Please refrain from hi-jacking perfectly reasonable threads with off topic chit chat. I'll be deleting this post in due course.

12. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Yes the older models may come down in price. But then people are usually more interested in the new equipment that has come out so it ends up being a bit of a vicious circle :devil:

The 'cash & carry' price of this new Samsung SP-46L6HX isn't too bad so it's worth considering if you can get access to buying it this way. Though as yet we don't know how it performs :confused:

I agree, a bit of friendly chit-chat, exchange of other ideas & airing of personal opinions without going too far off-topic :oops: surely isn't doing anyone any harm.

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    LV426 doesn't seem to be around at the moment and as this thread seems to have run it's course I have taken the liberty of closing it and deleting the "Off Topic" stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.