1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

model 100 binding posts

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dood, Mar 30, 2001.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Following my previous posts, I dashed out and bought one of the model 100 centre speakers I mentioned. On comparing with my other centre speakers I get the impression that the tweeter on the model 100 has blown. However, I have noticed that there is only one set of binding posts on the back even though my hifi mags state that they are biwirable. I've checked an old issue which also confirms that they are biwirable (I thought that maybe older models were not biwirable). The space where the second set of binding posts should be is covered by a strip of paper with Kef Q technology written on it. On pressing the paper it seems that there are in fact dips under it presumably where the sockets should be. Does anyone know if these speakers could ever have been converted. Assuming this was done is it possible that the bridging bars (which would have to be internal) were not connected and therefore the tweeters are not connected? If this sort of modification has ever been done then would it be a fairly simple job to make them biwirable again, or to bridge the contacts?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    If i were you i would take it back to where you bought it and get another. I have a model 100 and they are definitely supposed to be bi-wireable. Sounds like someone might well have tinkered around with the one you´ve got!

3. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that's interesting, I've got a 100 and I've only got single binding posts, so, did they originally have bi-wire posts and then swap to single, or did they start off single and go to bi-wire?

By the way, if you can't get any joy from the place you bought it from call KEF and ask for the service department, a reference tweeter will set you back £18 including postage, I know 'cause I've blown the one's in my Reference 4's twice!!! I'm still waiting for a matched pair at the moment, KEF are out of stock, although they have singles.

Regards
    Gary

[This message has been edited by GaryG (edited 30-03-2001).]

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Ive been checking the literature that came with my model 100 & Kef did/do a model 90 centre speaker that was not biwireable but had a uni-q sticker where the second binding posts should be. The differences are a smaller tweeter (19mm) a different driver and the actual speaker casing is slightly smaller. I just hope you guys havent been sold one of these when you thought you were buying the model 100.

5. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    well the plot thickens! he speakers definitely say model 100 on them despite the single binding posts. I took the speaker back to the shop where I bought it. They had another identical one which they got as a trade in (ie they got both from the chap who traded them in). We hooked up the speaker I returned to an amp and sure enough the tweeter was not working. we then hooked up the other one which sounded fine considering the background noise and cheap amp he was using. So we did a swap, but I was told there were no guarantees on the other one, meaning to me that I could not bring it back. There was a subtle hint that I may have blown the tweeter.

On bringing the other speaker home I hooked it up and must say that it sounded fine. I played a few scenes from a DVD at fairly high volume and again it was OK. However, a few hours later I went back to listen to the news and I could not believe how crackly the voices sounded. I've put back my other centre speaker which sounds fine so the amp is OK. Did I just blow this model 100. If so how? I made sure that I switched off the amp every time I connected or disconnected the speakers. Or were both model 100s faulty? I thought speakers were either OK or not, no in-between and no intermittent faults.

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Something dodgy there I'd suggest.
    KEF make good stuff normally.
    How would you rate the quality of the place you bought them from? That's what I'd ask.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may be wrong but i was always under the impression that Uni-q and the like were co-axial or I.C.T (induction coupled tweeter) drivers used no crossover whatsoever i.e I.C.T !! I have owned several of these type of speakers in the past and rather obviously none could be Bi-wired/amped.

Regards

SteveEX

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Q15's are biwire so the rest can be too.

9. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Uni-Q drivers are hard-wired not inductively coupled, the Q15 uses a simple second-order cross-over filter, the Ref 100 centre uses a much more sophisticated filter, possibly correcting for for the driver resonance peak and the reactive rise due to the voice coil, can't say for certain didn't have much chance to have a look at it.