1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding x-box with new live dashboard

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by zAndy1, Sep 13, 2003.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,707
    Hi,
    I'm interested in getting my x-box modded for it's media playback capabilities mainly (i.e. divx) but am concerned about getting my x-box live account locked out. Am I correct in saying that as long as I disable the modchip before switching the xbox on it will be ok? Does it matter if I've got it in PAL or NTSC mode at all i.e. if I've had it set to NTSC for the 480p output do I have to set it back to PAL before connecting to live (mind you if it's always connected I guess there's no chance to do that!). Slightly confused and looking for some guidance on this please...

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It will be far cheaper to get another xbox and chip that - remember the xbox goes down to £99 next month.

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,707
    Does it! Didn't know that. Wonder how long it'll take before that filters through to pre-moddeds prices though? Anyway, you're probably right, when it's that cheap two consoles is probably the best option , thanks for the advice! By the way, dunno if I'll be online for a while, currently hooked on KOTOR!

Cheers,
    Andy.

4. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    zAndy1

I've installed the new Dashboard on my modded XBox and it's all gone fine. I turned off my chip as usual before logging in.

I have also turned off the auto connect to Live feature - possible in the old part of the dash.

I don't know what happens with regard to different video modes.

captaineyecatch has got a good point. I bought a spare XBox in case I stuffed things up with the modded one - both doing the mods and using it on Live. In the end it all proved very easy and the new one just gathers dust (except for the odd link up game of Halo :) )

The main problem with 2 XBox's is that they don't half take up some room :D

EffTee

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,707
    When you disable the modchip does the xbox have to be switched off or can you do it while it's on and before logging into live? I'm tempted to just get mine modded cos it will obviously be cheaper but I just know I'll end up forgetting to disable it! Anyway, will leave it a few weeks and see what happens with prices..

Cheers
    Andy.