• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Modding Red Dot Sight

crocandy

Just managed to unlock the ability to mod RDS. I just wondered if any changes to the RDS would aid with accuracy and if any colour is more visable than any other.

I have chanded mine to a blue x which seemed ok at the start but the x makes it difficult to see who's approaching when aiming down the site whilst wntering rooms etc.

I haven't unlocked the ability to change the lens but i guess the same sort of discussions couls apply to this as well.

JDCFH

Changed all mine to bright blue 'large cross-hairs' but I prefer the reflex to the red dot sight

EastEndz

Tried the :) face for a bit, but it affected the accuracy of shots, so when using the red dot sight I keep it as it is; I'm not sure if the colour will make any difference, but green looks nice with the Tiger camo.

meweavy

Distinguished Member
I tried it with red dot and blue lens.didn't work at all.what's the difference between the rds and reflex sight?.

Swordfish

I tried it with red dot and blue lens.didn't work at all.what's the difference between the rds and reflex sight?.

The reflex sight auto aims. I presume the rds does too but it's very noticeable on the reflex. The coloured lens's need to be tailored to different maps. Blue well help on the snow maps etc. I'm sure det will have some stats. Trouble is you need a different colour for different maps so unless you change as soon as you know the map you will need some more class slots unlocked.

Nezben

Distinguished Member
Tried the :) face for a bit, but it affected the accuracy of shots, so when using the red dot sight I keep it as it is; I'm not sure if the colour will make any difference, but green looks nice with the Tiger camo.

I rock my Famas with the :) and i find it quite good. Gives me a false sense of my target being bigger and seems to give me better accuracy if you know what i mean.
It does obscure the view a bit though.

EastEndz

I rock my Famas with the :) and i find it quite good. Gives me a false sense of my target being bigger and seems to give me better accuracy if you know what i mean.
It does obscure the view a bit though.
I had it on the Galil for one or two matches only, but remember shooting someone at medium distance and only putting him down in last stand after missing a fair number of hits which I thought should have connected. Know what you mean about the false sense of an easier target to hit. I don't use the RDS most of time, but I might equip it and give it a go again.

Nezben

Distinguished Member
Not tried the galil online but look forward to it.
Different things suit different people, i couldnt use the holographic site in MW2 as i thought it was too soft if you know what i mean.

I like the customisation in this game, a real nice touch.

wbabbington

Ive read the the reflex is the equivalent to the holo sight on MW2.

As for colours, tried orange lens with the :) in red but was just awful. Now i use a clear lens and the :) in yellow and its much better. Although agree that it would be better to just have the dot, but im a slave to style. :D

meweavy

Distinguished Member
i tried the reflex sight.i thinl it takes up too much room on the screen.ive got used to not using the rds or reflex sights on any of the guns.even the famas now.the sights on the guns i use famas,galil,aug,ak74 dont really seem to need them.

plus i use soh pro with either silencer or grip attachment.

JDCFH

After spending a ridiculous amount on novelty sights ive reverted back to the tiny dot. Much more accurate but i've left it blue :D

As for the reflex site Vs red dot sight, I don't know the difference but bought it first then attached it to all my guns :thumbsup:

Det

Distinguished Member
I'm uncertain of the reflex adding aim assist pull vs the rds. In mw2 the holo appeared to as well. Ill try to test it out in a private match later and report findings back here.

Fmrl

RDS pulls a little bit too, I noticed that in a game the other night.

crocandy

Thanks for all the responses. I'll look at the choices and give it another go. I may see if there is a slightly bigger dot.

Det

Distinguished Member
Just did about 10 mins worth of testing and they operate nearly identical. Reflex might have a slight advantage but it could also be that I went into testing with a bias and made my mind appear that it added a bit more. Ads in no longer snaps on target like it in mw2

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Red dot sight is just that...a red dot..if you look through the scope, at an angle(in real life), the dot will move with you, to where you are looking, so in effect, not aiming at your target.
They can vary from a red painted dot, to a laser pointer of kind.

The holographic sights, like reflex scopes, will keep their "aim" on target regardless of which angle you look down the scope at, as the video here shows.

Note: The gun sight is not moving, the camera is, so no matter where the holder looks, it will still stay on target/show what the gun is pointed at

EOTech Demo:

YouTube - Eotech Demo

Difference in game...not much apart from a larger reticule, larger dot, and more bulky appearance, slower to raise(in the case of the reflex).
Both as equally useless as each other in the case of EMP's though, unless the red dot is painted on.

Last edited:

muffins

I've seen larger RDS in game but when I changed the dot the RDS remained the same.

Does it change if you change the colour of the lens?

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
I'm currently using the reflex sight, clear glass with purple nuke symbol , on the commando....and it rocks :clap::clap::clap:

Have a 1.39 kd ratio so far overall in the game, and the Commando is 1.44 kd. I will hate losing it when I prestige :(

AJUK

I am using the reflex at the moment, but my mate reckons the red-dot has slightly more zoom ?

StuR6

I'm uncertain of the reflex adding aim assist pull vs the rds. In mw2 the holo appeared to as well. Ill try to test it out in a private match later and report findings back here.

Isn't anyone finding 'pull' on regular hip aim walking? Not knowing the maps and coming across a few guys behind bushes etc, I've only known to shoot because as I walk along my centre vision has slowed/pulled to one side. Happened a few times. Will try to record it next time I notice.

As for dot colours and shapes, I think its a nice idea, handy for those who have different colour perceptions. And its yet another tweakable item in the game!

Barry_

Distinguished Member
Phah - Aim assist is for wimps.:nono:

This was the first thing in the options menu i changed - it's off and it's staying off :lesson:

JDCFH

I only have a sight on my M16 class. Changed that to a heart for a few S&D games to get a reaction from a final kill cam.

Someone else recommended using the heart reticle on another forum for kill cam humiliation :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom