1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding for dummies? (me)

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by snowbhoy, Jul 18, 2005.

1. snowbhoy

snowbhoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

At risk of getting flamed for asking a question that's been asked before (I have trawled through this board, can't find an answer) can anyone point me to a good guide for DIY XBOX modding and what chip/HDD I should be buying to do it myself?

Comfortable doing all the bits required, just want to make sure I do it the best way possible.

Again apologies for asking something that may have been asked before.

2. StrongSilent

StrongSilent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The reason you may not have found it on this board is the bias towards softmodding for hi def purposes.
    There's an exhaustive list of tutorials and articles on xbox-scene.com. Also baldbouncer.com has an illustrated tutorial for most hardware mods (I used the xecutor 2 one myself).

There's this really cool, virtually unheard-of, search engine called google.com that sometimes comes back with the odd useful link too ;)

H.

3. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Don't mod it yourself, send it away and get it done (might as well get a HDD upgrade at the same time). Even the "solderless" chips aren't that good.

4. snowbhoy

snowbhoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers guys.

I think my issue is one of choice, found a few sites with chips for sale etc just don't know which one or way to go.

Want to use my Xbox as a media centre as well as for games & xbox live - higher def would also be nice - is it possible to get all this in a chip?

5. dataloss

dataloss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Xbox live and modchips are turning into a no no, even when they are switched off, and if your already registered with your xbox on live, it won't work after modding ie your box is banned.

there are some free alterntives Xlink and XBConnect. :smashin:

I'm still waiting for my premod xbox from advancedxbox.com (I've heard good things about them here and on other forums) however my order is stuck in a pending limbo even though the site owner is back from holiday :confused:

6. Drogo

Drogo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    dataloss, I am not sure where you get the idea that XBox live and modchips are a no, no I have a X3 and a 200gig HD in my xbox ... and Xbox live is fine ... no ban nothing... as long as you turn the chip off when connecting to live - its fine ..

As for Softmodding over chipping each method is easy to do , I have one of each ....

7. snowbhoy

snowbhoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Drogo,

Which chip do you use for your hardware mod, and would you recommend it?

When you say one of each, I assume you mean two xbox's - not one with a hardware and software mod?

8. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    Any chip will be fine. If you are going to fit it yourself then ease of installation is probably important to you. If you are a dab hand at soldering then you can buy a really cheap mod chip otherwise go for one with a solderless adaptor. To be honest though soft modding is nowadays the easiest & cheapest way to go. I have three Xboxes, one with the TSOP (onboard BIOS chip) flashed, one with an Xecutor 2 & one soft modded with Krayzie's MechAssault Autoinstaller. All three have the same functionality i.e. running Xbox Media Centre as the dashboard.

9. Drogo

Drogo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    snowbhoy, I use the Xecuter3 chip, on my main box fitted with the 200Gig HD, then on my other box still retail I softmodded this with the Bond exploit, and this runs everything like my chip box, although has the bog standard HD in it - my next mission is to clone my chip box settings to run a larger HD on my softmodded box, as I know its possible just neverhad time to try , but I'll get there as the softmod for me worked first time ......

If all you want to do is play backups and run emulators along with the XBMC then softmod your box m8, its easy as 1,2,3 and simply works ..... If you need any advice just ask m8 - I am always here to help ....

Regards
    Drogo

10. snowbhoy

snowbhoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers guys, much appreciated.

So right now I'm thinking to sue the Xecuter3 chip, install myself (Very comfortable with any soldering etc).

Would I be running XBNC (Sounds like best front end), assuming any old 200GB IDE 7200 HDD will do?

What's the downside to softmodding? Or put another way what's the advantage to hardmoding - think I just like the idea of opening my xbox up and getting the solder out, but I'm open to the best solution.

11. dataloss

dataloss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ah someone is alive over at advancedxbox ;) I should be getting mine (same spec as your chipped box Drogo ie X3 and 200gb drive) Thursday or Friday. :)

12. Drogo

Drogo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys, to put in simply - nothing touches the Xbox is terms of a all round all singing dancing media center, weather its soft modded or hard modded, thats why I have two boxes, and even when the Xbox 360 comes out on Novemeber 4th - I won't be getting rid of my current xboxes in fact i'll be buying any cheap boxes I see .. just love the black box.. or in my case 1 black and 1 crystal ....

13. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Snowbhoy, installing the X3 is a piece of p**s, make sure to get an Xapt3r solderless adapter or compatible, and for heaven's sake, get yourself over to XBox-Scene where all your questions will be answered.

Team Xecuter, who manufacture the X3, have tutorials on their site for the v1.0 - v1.5 box and v1.6 box.

And get yourself a copy of either Slayer's Auto-install or Auto-Installer Deluxe discs to setup your hdd when you have the mod installed.

14. fonsoman

fonsoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, i'v been modded for as long as xbox live has been out and i've been aggravated as each modder got better and better and kept noobing me, all my friends r experts at modding and laugh whenever i even attempt to ask them for help, to them it is a huge competition on who can mod better, while i sit here not able to mod at all, i've searched the internet for months from colorful xbox cases to xbox-scene to modding for dummies and even the simplest how to mod tutorial didn't work (i got action replay, got splinter cell: stealth &action redefined and whenever i would run linux as a profile it would freeze) i cried in agony as so many posts had so much on modding but didn't follow to every detail because i'm not a dummy, i'm a retard :confused: , i need every little detail explained or else i will find someway to mess it up, i'm thinkin about getting a mod chip but i kno that it will be a waste of money because once i get it i'll hav no i dea wat to do with that, people say to send it off to someone and get it done, who?! where?! i live in new york, if anyone knows anything about how to soft mod, hard mod or someone to send my xbox to or wat i'm doing wrong please PLEASE help me :lease: :suicide: