1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding an Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Lemm, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Lemm

Lemm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm thinking of chipping my xbox with an Xecuter 2.6. Baring in mind that I have never soldered before, how difficult is it to actually fit?

From looking at the installation instructions it seems I would only need to do a small amount of soldering (soldering in a pin header and then the d0 cable)?

2. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you have never soldered before, then the d0 can be a bit tricky. Perhaps you could find some old scrap circuit board and do a bit of practise first.

Also, some xbox's have clear lacquer over the d0 point, so you would need to scrape it off first gently using a jewellers screwdriver or similar before starting.

the pin header is very easy to solder.

3. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just done this recently with this chip. If you have a newish xbox it is very easy as the pin head holes are clear. I have an older version where the holes were pre soldered so had to be cleared first.

I tried using the wire method first(messy!) but had a mate do the pinheaded version as he had better tools and skill than me!

4. thecheekymonkey

thecheekymonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as advised if youve never soldered before, have a practice on an old pcb.

dependant on what xbox version you have will make it a bit more difficult.

read as much as you can................re-read it.

it may look easy in the piccy, and if you read and practice before doing it, 9 times out of ten it is for first timers.

couple of tips though (due to the amount of failed installs ive seen)

get some non corrosive flux paste (flux pens are crap), dab a very tiny amount of all parts that need solder applying , this will "suck" the solder to the parts, and lessen the amount of time and heat applyed to any components etc.

get a low wattage soldering iron 25 watts very maximum, recommend between 15 and 20 watts, i use an 18 watt.

take your time, and be patient.

good luck

5. Lemm

Lemm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the tips so far guys.

Took the lid off the Xbox yesterday to have a look, and I was slightly shocked at just how small the connection points are! :O

6. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    get the Xenium SPICE, completely solderless adapter for 1.6 and works like a charm from www.divineo.co.uk.

Alternatively if you xbox is older than this then save a little dosh and get a regular solderless Xenium.

Its the best value for money chip out there at the moment.

7. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Save yourself the grief, and up your coolness stakes with an Xecuter 3 and Xapt3r solderless adapter. When it lights up ice-blue, just sit back with a smug look on your face (a pair of shades would also help), knowing you have just installed THE Xbox mod. And if you can afford the replacement front panel, complete with LCD display and proper USB2 connectors, well words cannot describe the feeling the first time you switch on.

8. dr_loss

dr_loss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i used the xapter a few months back, piece of ****

got a sweet xbox running downstairs playing all my movies and mp3s off all the pcs in the house via my wireless router.

a joy for £130 all in!