1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modded XBox

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Bigpants2k, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Bigpants2k

Bigpants2k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok thinking of getting a modded Box.

But I have a couple of questions first.

I only really need to improve the graphics, as I use my DVD player for films and MP3 etc etc.

So how much of an improvement will I get from the graphics card and is it enough to warrant the price? of the mod.

The TV i have is a Sony KV32FK68.

I don't have X Box live yet!, but in the future who knows.

Thanks

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,794
    Modding the XBox doesn't change the graphics card or its performance. (Although you can use it to output higher resolutions).

The main reason for modding an XBox is to run 'backup' games, run emulators, play games from other territories and run other 'unsigned' software such as jukebox stuff.

3. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do the emulators work well, or are they slow? So you can just pop a n64 cd in and it will work perfectly?

4. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,794
    I've never used a modded Xbox, so don't know.

I'd personally only be interested in MAME, although I find it to be pretty good on my PC with a PS2 / USB adapter. :smashin:

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    if your going "live" make sure that you have a on/off button put on the chip. or MS will lockout your xbox and it will never go live again!!

Gary

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Depends on what you want to Emu......

Generally you will be playing from ROMS, most EMU games are 16bit, SNES, Megadrive and MAME. You have to download the ROMS (which is illegal) and then transfer them to the X-Box.

I don't think there is an EMU for PS or N64, this would most probably run fairly slowly as even a decent PC has problems running them.

7. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Someone told me that M$ can now tell if theres a switch onboard too so :eek:
    No experience with it myself as have standard jobbie but thought i'd mention it.

Matt

8. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    It wouldn't surprise if they have - but they might just be saying that they can. I've no intention of going live anyway so it does really affect me.

I've had evox installed and i have to say that the machine is now really really really fab. XBMC is an awesome peice of software.

Gary

9. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    it's not too bad actually. There is an n64 emulator (a few of them actually) and there are a fair few games that are entirely playable in fact.

i have "surreal64" which is currently the best n64 emulator for the xbox. The older games such as mario64, lylat wars, ridge racer 64, banjo kazooie, zelda ect are all pretty much 100%. Even goldeneye is running, albeit quite slowly.

all of the older console have almost perfect emulators - snex, mega drive, atari, c64 ect.

there's also a PS1 emulator, but that is still slow and incompatible with most games, plus it requires you to copy and dump the entire game cd to the xbox hdd to play which isnt something i can be bothered to do lol.

i'll second that. Infact thats all i use on my xbox now.