Modded freeview

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by bobgriffiths, Jan 12, 2004.

1. bobgriffiths

bobgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of modding a freeview box.
    I would like a box that is 430 mm wide to match my seperates so a new case is needed , preferably a very solid case with anti vibration properties.I would like WBT gold phono audio outs on it and gold scart sockets and a gold RF in and out.I am thinking of changing the capacitors in the audio stage for higer grade audio types and upgrading the power supply to a torodial powers supply maybe put the power supply in a seperate case to stop interference.

I KNOW THIS COMPLETELY INVALIDATES MY WARRANTY AND WORK OF THIS NATURE SHOULD ONLY BE CARRIED OUT BY PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

I have modded amps and cd players and speakers with good results.
    I think there is a gap in the market for a quality Freeview box for home cinema enthusiasts and for radio listners as apparantly the bit rates are better on freeview than DAB and you can spend a lot more on a DAB only tuner.
    My questions are these
    1 has anyone done this already themselves?

2 Is there any company that does this sort of thing to save me all the bother?

3 Is there a market for a Very high quality freeview box?

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I think the Twin would be an excellent base for this project!

3. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Personally I wish someone made a high quality "full size" Freeview box rather than all these stupid little boxes that fit in with nothing else in my rack. I still never understand why Sky boxes aren't 420/430mm wide either, but that's another story.

I actually own 3 Freeview boxes. A Panasonic TUCT20 which has to be one of the ugliest boxes about (and has terrible sound quality) - what were Panasonic thinking of with that awful beige?

Also I have a Netgem i-player which overall is the best of the bunch, but can be a little slow. However PQ is superb.

I then have a Sony which is a very nice looking bit of kit and is very fast to operate, but the Netgem pip's it slightly on the PQ.

I did once own a Pace Twin, but personally found this to be terrible. The PQ was so, so, so (how much must I stress this) soft and as a recorder it was unreliable.

However all these boxes, as nice as some look, they are all stupid shapes and sizes!

What I would like to see is a 420/430mm wide box, in silver with two RGB scart out's and another (composite) scart out which also acts as an RGB in/pass through to one of the RGB outs. Component would be nice, but not essential. I would also have an optical and coaxial audio output and have a nice display on the front (not big LED's like the Pace Twin) which displayed the time, channel etc. Buttons on the front would be nice also to change channel (just up and down). Also it must be fast and have a nice GUI, 7 day EPG (when available), timers, support Qlink/Smart link and have discreet IR codes for off and on (for my Pronto).

I could go on with more, but I think this is just wishful thinking as I don't think anyone will produce such a box as there would be a limited market.

That's my input...

Rob.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    well if you search DIY mains leads mods have been done. Original ITV/OnDigital boxes are almost full width, Yes i an sure that a cheap amp or similar would make a donor case etc. Suprised Arcam havent done this maybe upgraded a current design IE liscened one for the design Main boards and added high quality DACS video etc.

But then its never been done with a SKY STB as far as I am aware (although liscensed from sky) they have a much larger market share! and more users etc.

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Firstly a soft Pace Twin picture is still better than any other TV recording.

Secondly it was fixed in June or July update.

However it is modular construction inside and lends itself to being dismantled and recased.

6. bobgriffiths

bobgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input guys. I think manufacturures are obsessed with making these boxes small and i do think there is a market for a full size box.

freeview is driven by low cost i accept that.

There is still a market for turntables and cd players even though the mass market is budget DVD players .There are still customers who will pay good money for the right product for them.

Horneydragon I too am suprised someone like ARCAM or Pioneer have not made a top notch freeview box for audio/videophiles.

MartinImber thanks i'll look into the Pace twin.

if there is a market for a £940 IEC mains lead from Russ Andrews there is a market for a decent freeview box!

Thanks once again for all your input

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Anyway the PSU creates noise in analogue out on the Twins, also available for £199 currently.

The box would need a small display hole, room for the 10 or so buttons.

But you could put bigger drives in without worry since you are dismantling it anyway.

The Twin is kind of light, here are my suggested mods.!

MOD 1

If you know who to split RGB in a BALANCED way (ie no signal drop) do the following.

Split the RGB to a decent Scart socket and also to RGBS - 4 BNC or Phono sockets for a projector.

MOD 2

Run better shielded cables internally

MOD 3

Due to the layout of the boxes front I suggest you copy it and make a new one from brushed aluminium - rather than bodge an old amp front or similar.

Look at RS or similar for switches to replicate what the Twins do.

Labels - not sure how you would copy them - find someone who can print on clear sticky plastic, including the Pace logo!

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    :nono: :nono: :nono:
    Naughty! a better case and bigger drives perhaps super quiet would be worth looking at as would a small LCD display that could display EPG info etc and data for radio so you dont need TV on for listening to the radio.

9. bobgriffiths

bobgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im a modder not a genius!!! lol
    all the things mentioned are good ideas some are quite complex.

I would not have a logo as this is my baby and as an audio purist i would have a display off switch .

I am thinking of modding a basic box first then if it is worth while moving to a Twin

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  11. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You've got me thinking now Hornydragon.

An old power amp case would be ideal, except for getting the height for the display (which is really overkill but very very cool) :D.

I've got a Netgem iPlayer running on my TV, maybe that would benefit from a mod...

On second thoughts I'd prob best buy another, as the parents get annoyed when I run away with it. :rotfl:

12. bobgriffiths

bobgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im going to be the first guy with a ten grand freeview box!!!
    LOL

going to feed the aerial signal from a coat hanger:clown:

13. windsurf123

windsurf123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    All superb ideas. In these days of "so called convergence", it would be nice to see somebody release a box that fully exploited it's full potential.
    Eg. Why not have a box with a hard-disk in it (I'm refering to the Twin here), that could readily be used for storing audio from MP3 etc. Imagine how useful it would be to have the equivelent of an IPOD sitting in your AV rack.
    I've been informed that it's not possible to convert the Twin to an IPOD like device... sure the menus would probably show only 1 CD recording at a time, but it would be better than having a stack of CD's next to the telly. I'm still tempted to play arround with the audio, just to prove it to myself.
    Great thread
    ;)

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    a better idea would be to get an Imerge or similar and stuff a DVB tV card in it.
    I once found a link for a company selling proffesional DVB boards designed by BBC engineering, the sort used for testing transmitters now one of those would work!

If you can integrate it into a twins recording ability, better storage etc.

15. windsurf123

windsurf123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Very fair comment, but it would still be better if it was possible to utilise the Twin (as is), rather than build yet another box.

On a seperate note, I remember see a web-site some time back that did the cases mentioned above "with LCD displays etc as extra add-ons" Damn if I can remember who it was though.

16. windsurf123

windsurf123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5