• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mobo & CPU replacement - Will it affect current HD?

CDR

Prominent Member
Hi Guys,

I'm not that into computers anymore, whilst competent of swapping parts, need a quick question answered..

I currently have a pc running a small website on a mobo, with a 1ghz CPU with 1ghz RAM.

I have spare collecting dust, a mobo with 2100xp Athlon, with 768Mb ram.

Is it possible just to swap these over, without having to tinker with the hard-drive, or is it fairly easy to get the new mobo+cpu running without having to re-install the OS?

Any suggestions/help/replies is appreciated.

Thank You

CDR

booyaka

the hard drive itself should be fine, however dependant if you are running any Operating system on the existing pc, especially windows, it might ask you to reactive windows if it was a OEM copy or alike.

Generally no there is no great issues but beware that changing a motherboard may trigger a reactivation of windows

Spinke

Prominent Member
It'll only be straightforward if the replacement board is using the same chipset, else you'll need to remove the chipset drivers and bodge 'something' in the registry (I don't know what, sorry). I've always done a fresh format and reinstall with new hardware but a work colleague is in the habit of bodging, doesn't always go so well..

overkill

Distinguished Member
Unless the chipset is the same, fresh install I'm afraid. You can edit your way around it, but it still leaves legacy stuff in Windows which will foul things up sooner or later. Sorry.

CDR

Prominent Member
Thank you for all your replies, looks like the fresh install is the best way forward.

Thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom