Question Mobo Bricked ?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by chrisrocks, Jun 13, 2015.

1. chrisrocks

chrisrocks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    went to switch on one of my pcs this morning and didnt get past the Bios screen hanging on the searching for IDE drives option.

My SSD has gone :(

SSD is under warranty so have a new one on its way, the bigger issue I'm now facing is that now the pc doesnt recognise any of my other drives in the system 2 x sata, 1xIDE or IDE DVD drive

disconnected everything and tried them on my other machine and are all recognised

so went back and checked through the sata ports on the malfunctioning pc with one cable and 1 HDD, seems 1 of the sata ports eventually recognises a sata drive, the other 3 nothing.....checking through the bios still doesnt list any sata connection, it just hangs on the IDE search and then finally lists up the sata drive.

been through with a multimeter and checked the PSU and everything seems ok, is there anything else I can check before scrapping the mobo ?

have looked through the mobo manual ( Gigabyte P41T-D3P ) as well as various bios settings but nothing has worked...

never had any issues or indications of something failing before today

TIA

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  2. DannyTucker001

DannyTucker001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I would recommend you look in your mobo for how to clear the cmos. If that doesn't do it then you seem to have filtered out other possibilities with your trial & error/process of elimination. In which case maybe it is a bricked mobo :(

3. chrisrocks

chrisrocks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hey thanks for the suggestion, jusr tried pulling the battery and also bridging CMOS reset jumpers. Still only 1 sata port seems to work, ide & USB nothing....gonna swap in a sata dvd drive and try boot to windows or even Linux if i can get a usb port working to see but not hopeful....

tried to get some pin out info to test the ide & sata ports with my mulitimeter but think I'm grasping at straws

4. Dbcoup

Dbcoup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
  5. chrisrocks

chrisrocks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Tried another PSU and no luck, may well pick one of those gadgets up tho, cheers for the link & suggestion.

Gigabyte have been quite helpful, despite the fact the mobo is out of warranty

probably order up that power tester for a last check, then its off to recycling etc