• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

mobo and cpu enquiry

dizzi2234

Established Member
Hi I need to build a computer I was just wondering what motherboard and cpu bundles should I keep a eye out for for around £135 many thanks.
Dane

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
There are lots of options and it'll depend on what your priorities are or what you're using it for. For lots of processing power a good choice would be an i3-4000 series. You should be able to pick up an i3-4130 and a Socket 1150 motherboard for under £135.

dizzi2234

Established Member
Im looking at general all purpose watching films browsing the net and playing the odd game but It looks like am3 will be the cheapest option without ending up with crap lol

dacads

Established Member
Nice one mate, the FX-6300 comes along every now and then! P.s if you are interested I'm selling my AMD Phenom II X6 1090T soon!

dacads

Established Member
That's a decent CPU especially when OCed! Should be able to keep up for a few more years at least :) Get yourself a CPU cooler if you haven't already, let me know if you need any advice

dizzi2234

Established Member
"">[-]Intel i7 920 D0 Stepping ,Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 LGA1366 Motherboard, Corsair TR3X6G1866C9DF 1866 6Gb RAM KIT Enermax Modu82+ 625W PSU coolermaster CMStorm Sniper Black Edition + Windowed Side Panel xfx 6950 1tb hdd and ocz 256gb ssd for the os and a thors hammer cpu cooler is this a ok machine for £300 and allso whats a good way to go for liquid cooling. Thanks

dacads

Established Member
That's a very good setup for £300, I wouldn't be looking at AIO water coolers as that air cooler you mentioned is pretty top notch. If anything you can upgrade the GPU if you feel the need to as it's probably the only component worth improving.

dizzi2234

Established Member
Well my dads going fown the route of macs now and he said because I no what the rig is like and how it runs he would rather me have it for 300 than sell it to someone and they try saying somthings wrong with it and im the sort of person who likes to look at his rig (geek) lol I like lights and that lol I was thinking about doing a biohazard theme so was thinking about a small customizable closed loop water cooler like a thermaltake big water and have uv green coolant with a semi see through biohazard decal on the side with orange led's behind it and green fans with uv reactive screws all round

dizzi2234

Established Member
Anyway I want to upgrade the gpu I just dont have the cash to throw at a r9 but what if I xfire the card I allready have will that help performance and allso I might get another 6gb ram kit the same as I allready have. Thanks.
Dane

dacads

Established Member
Sorry I can't help you on the watercooling front I have no experience with regards to it. Maybe in the future if I decide to venture into it! The 6950 is a power hungry card so you would be better off just getting a single r9 card instead mate, unless you have the cash to splash out on a new PSU as well! The single card will be cooler and quieter.

dizzi2234

Established Member
Ok mate il reseach it some more and ok mate I might just look into a r9 or what other cards would you suggest either ati or nvidea

dacads

Established Member
Well R9 290/280X or GTX 780Ti are the main options, depending on your budget. With watercooling you'll have to see if your case can fit a radiator etc

dizzi2234

Established Member
Budget will be about 150 for 2 cards and the thermaltake bigwater is a all in one but can change coolent and things it goes in 2 dvd drive bays or if I was going down the whole shabang with radiators and that I would have a external dual radiator on the back with a side mounting reservoir as I like the inside of my case to be clean and neat but will look nice with uv watercooling tubes and hidden led, s

dizzi2234

Established Member
Allso what keyboards are a good budget choice fot under £80 where I can change the backlighting colors I was looking at the alienware tactx keyboard but it looks ugly lol I allready have a roccat kova mouse

dacads

Established Member
Sell your 6950 and you should be able to afford an R9 280X. Personally I would go used as it will save you some cash. Logitech G510 is a classic keyboard which allows you to carry out lots of lighting mods. I know you like your LEDs but another option could be a nice mechanical keyboard such as the CM Storm Quickfire TK which also has LED backlighting, that is changeable with a flick of a button.

Cooler Master Gaming » Products: Quick Fire TK

Last edited:

dizzi2234

Established Member
Sparky will have a look and decads I will have a look at getting a second hand one and that cm storm quickfire looks nice I think that might be the sort im after

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom