MobileMe, find my phone becoming free?

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just read on iclarified that 'find my phone' on the MobileMe subscription service is becoming free

Is this true?

Not if you have 3g or 3gs it isn't. Only works for iphone 4, ipad and latest touch.

This is gona be good if it's free

Did this subscription not cost something like ÂŁ40 a year

This is gona be good if it's free

Did this subscription not cost something like ÂŁ40 a year

It's only the "find my phone" part that is now free.

Still....

Free is better than paying

I like this idea very much but was never prepared to pay for it

Yes I just tried it and it works a treat

Must say, this application is a pretty neat idea

I've always wished that I could possibly wipe my phone if I ever lost it

Thing is, does this use much juice to run? Does it it only start using power when it's activated,

Only allowing the find my phone for free on iPhone4, not 3GS is taking the ****. It works fine on 3GS if you pay, and there's apparently a workaround if you know someone with an iPhone4 or iPad, so it's not that a 3GS doesn't support the functionality.

I can understand dropping functionality from the older handsets if the device can't cope with the processing, but excluding customers just because they haven't bought the latest model is a bit ******. Esp when the 3GS is still being sold.

I'm really disapointed in Apple for this move. I should imagine over half the apple handset customers still have a 3G/3GS.

Only allowing the find my phone for free on iPhone4, not 3GS is taking the ****. It works fine on 3GS if you pay, and there's apparently a workaround if you know someone with an iPhone4 or iPad, so it's not that a 3GS doesn't support the functionality.

I can understand dropping functionality from the older handsets if the device can't cope with the processing, but excluding customers just because they haven't bought the latest model is a bit ******. Esp when the 3GS is still being sold.

I'm really disapointed in Apple for this move. I should imagine over half the apple handset customers still have a 3G/3GS.

Completely agree.

I'll second that. Very poor and as said - 3GS's still on sale new.

"Device not supported, this device is not qualified for free MobileMe service."

They are talking about the 3GS Lee, not the 4.

I am also a tad miffed at this exclusion....

It works on my 3GS after setting up & verifying on my iPad. :)

5199050947_433cdc78c8_o.png

:thumbsup:

You just need to put your Apple ID & password on MobileMe in mail settings on a iP4 or iPad and once verified do the same on your 3GS and it'll verify there too now.

So I suppose I can just use anyone's iP4 to set up and then verify then delete it afterwards?

I am still awaiting my verification email, now asked it to resend 4 times and nothing here!!:confused:

Edit: working now, took ages for the email!

Last edited:
Can anyone help, last night I setup mobileme on my ip4 and verified the account at apple website using the email link they sent. But this morning the ip4 still says 'not verified' and the mobileme website says no devices registered - what I have I done wrong? Maybe the server is inundated with new accounts.....

I've just tried to verify again, but the apple website says I'm already verified - so it must be something on the ip4! The 'location services' option on the phone is set to on...but the phone account still says not verified...weird..

Last edited:
So I suppose I can just use anyone's iP4 to set up and then verify then delete it afterwards?

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if there would be any implications for the iPhone 4 owner. Would they still be able to create another mobileme account?

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if there would be any implications for the iPhone 4 owner. Would they still be able to create another mobileme account?
Reading the comments on one of the links above it appears you can enable three accounts from each device. Lad at work has an iPad which we are going to use to set it up for his iPad and both our 3GSs.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom