Mobile Phones, PDAs, and Tablets

logiciel

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Aren't PDAs also mobile phones, are "tablets" PDAs, and can anyone convince me that they're useful?;)

I don't think there's an exact definition of what comprises as a PDA. Years ago some feature phones would qualify as being a PDA now there are smart phones.

A PDA was intended to organise your life like a Filofax used to. You can do it with a smartphone or a tablet or a phablet. Do you have a price range? Choice of O/S? Preference of size?

It still makes me laugh when I see PDA's in the forum name. I can't believe many people are searching for them.

But in any case, PDA's should be in with Tablets since they are closer in function, given they don't generally make phone calls.

So, to extend the question, tablets are not, or do not include, mobile phones?
I have a smart phone that's rarely used, partly because the screen is far too small, but have noted that a 9" tablet with Win8 can be had for £100, and was considering whether something like that would be more practicable and therefore of any more use - and if so what for?;)

Have been meaning to have pagers added to the forum title. Thanks for the reminder

At least pagers still have some practical use in this day and age, in phone-restricted areas where only pagers are allowed.

What are pagers, and what reminder?:confused:;)

wah

Everyone seems so dedicated to their devices, using them publicly, here there and everywhere, that a flood of responses was expected, trying to convince me how essential they are.
Maybe my guess was correct then, that they're actually useless and a waste of money.:D

Last edited:
You're a very bad communicator and your points or questions are rarely clear and precise. It's little surprise you get the answers you expect that prove the point you set out to prove.

If you wanted an explanation of why a PDA, tablet or smartphone is useful you could have asked and I'm sure many people would have obliged, assuming of course that's what you wanted.

You must be living in a parallel universe.
What could be clearer or more precise than my simple questions:
Aren't PDAs also mobile phones, are "tablets" PDAs, and can anyone convince me that they're useful?;)
I did want "an explanation of why a PDA, tablet or smartphone is useful" so I did ask "can anyone convince me that they're useful?".
I wasn't setting out to prove any point - I was inviting people with experience and enthusiasm to prove their point.

All of my points and questions, in any area of the forum, are clear and precise.
They've been criticised on other grounds but never on those.
My communications skills are exemplary, as my thanks count suggests.
You, on the other hand, appear keen to break AVF Posting Rule 1, by being "antagonistic".

However, I've added a smiley, which most people would have assumed anyway, to my repeat of the third question, and would still like to know what people use their devices for, and how useful they are.

Last edited:
Back to the remote section with you already :D

Honestly I find my phone useful, I use it for loads beyond calls now. It makes a good remote for devices that support it, especially the wdtv where you can push stuff to it from from the phone or the server. Makes a great squeeze box remote as well.

Plus having access to emails and social networking when out and about is always useful, as is being able to surf the internet and post here.

As for PDAs, who knows, they sent useful anymore, I think their market share died when phones let you store appointments and addresses alongside you're contacts. I know my girlfriend still had a pager at work though, handy for knowing when things like alarms are going off or if there's someone at the door

My phone is on me all the time. If I need to enter any contact details or appointments I add it to my phone and that also adds to my gmail account which I can access from a laptop. It also picks up e-mails which I also get on my laptop. It has multiple alarm clocks so I can set a different alarm for a weekday than a weekend. It also has my kindle books on it, music for when I am running, sat nav for navigation, how long a list do you want?

Sure - Samsung Galaxy and it was sold as "smart", like my Samsung TV.

Thanks for the lists of uses, which are exactly what I so clearly and precisely;) asked for in my OP.

I do venture out of remotes and satellite occasionally.:)
Not that it matters, but there's just one use, the Kindle books, that interests me so far.
Unfortunately the others leave me cold, except for the music when running which has me completely baffled.

Last edited:
I had sellotaped my Vu+ remote control to my phone so I'm never with out that. But now an excellent app has recently been released.. For the first time in my exciting life, I'm completely without a remote. Smart yeah!

Kindle books aren't great on phones, they aren't the best screens for reading being LCD and a bit too small for my liking. I use my old phone as a media player, when my iPod broke I just reset the thing to blank and loaded it with music and it plays everything I've thrown at it and has HDMI out if I need it to display photos on a TV away from home.

Yes, it wasn't the idea of reading a book on a 2" screen that was of some interest.:D
Presumably the 9" tablet would be better for that.
With reference to posts #3 and #9 do any other tablets double up as phones?
Do people actually use both or either to watch TV, either as broadcast, or on demand?

Last edited:
If it's only kindle books you're after get a kindle, they are much better for it. The only tablets that can make office calls I know of are the fonepad and the upcoming galaxy note 8. There's a load of 3g ones but they don't do calls without some tinkering

My point was that reading books was the only one of the uses that had been suggested that was interesting.
There'd have to be far more uses of interest to convince me that the devices are worth having.
would still like to know what people use their devices for, and how useful they are.
Do people actually use both or either to watch TV, either as broadcast, or on demand?

Last edited:

PDAs are not mobile phones as they can't make calls. A tablet can do PDA functions but due to it's size it is better as a media consumption device.

Convince you they are useful? Why would anyone be able to do that? Millions of people do find them useful, ergo they are useful. You know perfectly well what smart phones and tablets are capable of, so the question is - why don't you think these functions are useful to you?

I don't know what tablets are capable of - that's the point of the thread.
Sonics67 listed his smartphone uses in post #14 and if anyone's interested I'll say why most of them wouldn't be of use to me.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom