Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Mobile Phones in the New Forest

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by D.V., Aug 14, 2003.

1. D.V.

D.V.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Can anyone comment on the signal strength for Orange, Vodafone and O'2 in the New Forest. In particular the A35 between Lyndhurst and Christchurch dorset and around New Milton.

Not sure which Air time provider to use for best reception.

Any help appreciated

Regards

2. chrisF

chrisF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are all OK in the forest. There are a few black spots though, mostly in the dip. We are based in Minstead which is around 5 miles from Lyndhurst and there is a full signal from the mast right next to us.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    Where would we be without them?

In some cases, better off! Don't get me wrong - they have their place and I do have one. But I'm not ever going to get into the position where my normal daily life is totally dependent on it.

As a principle, I have no problem with them. I do, however, take issue with ALL users who.....you know, the type who wouldn't use their silent mode even if they knew how; the type who have to leave the phone ringing long enough for everybody within 250 metres to hear how wonderful the latest ringtone is. And they do this, not in busy city streets, but in otherwise peaceful surroundings.

With that in mind, there are certain places (peaceful beauty spots, for example) which should mandatorily have NO coverage.

4. D.V.

D.V.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input chrisF.

I use Orange but the reception on the A35 from the Bashley turning to Lyndhurst is diabolical and that is why I wondered if the other two were better for reception.

Nigel

My commiserations!!

It would appear that you seem to have a hangup about Mobile phones in the Forest.

Whilst I agree with you about inconsiderate users, perhaps you ought to seek help. That way you probaby won't get stressed out over perfectly innocent questions like the one above.

Regards

5. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I was about to say that Orange coverage around that area is absolutely shocking but it seems I've been beaten to it! ;)

I can't comment on Vodafone as I've never used them, won't comment on T-Mobile (;)), but can highly recommend O2 for coverage. I've been with them for the last few months and haven't ever had a problem with signal :)

Happy hunting, and good luck :)

K.

6. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vodafone has pretty much the best coverage nationwide and especially in the New Forest.

But I do agree with Nigel. Whenever I used to go off to the NF (used to live and sell Mobiles in Southampton) I'd turn my phone off for some peace and quiet.

Agree about Orange and Dorset, absolutely shocking. My mate reckoned at one point he could only get signal by standing on his sister's bed (this was in Weymouth BTW) with his arm outstretched above his head. Anywhere else within a one mile radius was 1 bar or less.:D