• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mobile Phone Woes

lunker

About a second before my mobile phone rings the sub makes a sound (you know the one):thumbsdow

I tested it with only the power lead in and it still made the noise.

Will one of these sort it? Or would I be looking at a mains conditioner?

Alun

I dont think tha will do anything to alleviate the duk dukka-duk noise. Its more likely to be the RF from your mobile interfering with the amplifier section of the sub. Perhaps a better shielded phono lead would help.

lunker

Nice description duk dukka-duk is perfect.:D :clap:

I thought it was the phono lead so I tried it without any leads plugged in but it still made the duk dukka-duk noise.

If it's the amplifier section of the sub I take it I'm stumped.

It's a pain because other than the duk dukka-duk I'm totally happy with it.

Alun

Just tried mine out of curiosity. I only get the sound with my phone on or very near the sub.

Its a KEF.

Alun

That seems a bit excessive.:eek:

Possible earth problem?

anyone elses phone do the same? (with your sub)

lunker

It maybe an earth problem but I don't know how to check.

I've tried 2 different power leads both with the same problem.

It's all mobile phones (mainly my girlfriends as she gets more calls than me;) )

Alun

The only real way of checking your earth is with a dedicated tester. I think you can get your supplier ou to test it, but dont know if they charge.

alternatively, to check it in your house , you just need a meter with continuity function and a lenthg of cable.

Stick one probe of your meter in the eart socket of your plug, and the other end onto the incoming earth at your consumer unit.

As a n added safety thing, turn off your leccy when you do it.

lunker

I'll give that a go but thinking about it it's happened in three houses now.:rolleyes:

I'm thinking it's more likely to be a Sub problem.

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
Almost all speakers and subwofoers are affected by the signals emitted by mobile phones. My REL Stentor and Logitech computer speakers do this too, but only if the phone is right next to the sub. I don't really think there is anything you can do about it other than switch off your mobile.

Daddy k

Distinguished Member
try another network phone next to it!

my network, (o2) doesnt seem to interfere much with anything, ie sit it by car stereo, it rings etc no probs, t mobile thou interferes like mad.

IronGiant

My phone does it to my computer speakers (I try not to think what it does to my hard drive) but not to my hifi or sub. Are you worried it will damage the sub or is it just annoying?

lunker

My three O2 phones interfere with it and I'm sure when I was on 3 (network) they did too.

It's just annoying but I'm fairly sure it won't damage the sub as it's been doing it for 4 or 5 years now.

It happens in my car too.

R

recruit

My three O2 phones interfere with it and I'm sure when I was on 3 (network) they did too.

It's just annoying but I'm fairly sure it won't damage the sub as it's been doing it for 4 or 5 years now.

If it has been doing it for 4-5 years then surely it cannot be that big a problem :confused:

fourfoot

Indeed, because of the frequency they operate on.
o2, vodafone and three will give you the noise, orange and t-mobile won't to the same extent.

SBanga

Buy a new sub??

lunker

It has been happening for 4-5 years and it has annoyed me for 4-5 years.

I’ve been slowly upgrading my whole home cinema replacing bits when I can. I’m happy with the sound from the sub so if I could’ve stopped the duk dukka-duk sound with a £30 cable I would have done that. If theirs nothing I can do to stop the duk dukka-duk I’ll get a new sub.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom