1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobile Phone with GPS and PDA Functions

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by figoagogo, Aug 16, 2005.

1. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    I am looking for a Mobile Phone to provide normal phone usage PLUS GPS and PDA fuctions.

But I dont know where to begin, there are too many models and I would like some of your great recommendations!

I have only ever owened Nokia and Sony Ericsson phones, I have found Nokia to be reliable, Sony's tend to have more features but can be buggy, but I am willing to try something new. I am not bothered about cameras, video, MP3 etc as I have dedicated equipment for this.

The phone needs to be GPS compatible, I am aware I will have to pay for additonal software and equipment. I would also like it to have PDA type features, i,e. syschronize contacts, appointments, calendar - it not vital input data on the phone, I will do most of that on the PC!

Any ideas - I am on Orange and will be looking to upgrade so the phone would really need to be on this list...

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handsets/upgrade/all/all

:lease:

2. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    I have just got a Nokia6680 for free on 3. over the 12 months i have to have it it will cost £204. i get 500 mins and 100 txts a month.
    I paid £22 for a 256mb card for the phone and £56 for a GPS reciever from ebay.
    You can also pick up tomtom5 mobile from various places and the whole lot work together like a dream.
    you need to get a symbian OS phone so you can load programs on to it rather than an ordinary phone.

So i would say Nokia 6680

Dave.

3. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    And I would say the Orange SPV M2000. If its anything like my T-Mobile MDA3 its the dogs danglies.

I have Microsoft Windows Mobile 2003 second Edition, bluetooths to my gps reciever with tom tom. I also have 1meg SD ram installed which means i have lots of proper games like Age Of Empires (its just like the version u used to play on the PC!) and Sim City 2000.

It also syncs with Outlook (full office version) perfectly which I then also sync with Yahoo. To top it all off, its got full on WiFi 11b support built in as standard.

Oh, it also has the odd episode of the new Battlestar Galacitca series, the family guy movie, odds n sods of funny video clips and a couple of mp3's to buff it all up nicely :)

Its probably the more expensive option though! :eek:

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Orange SPV C500. Can load Tom Tom Mobile onto it. Cracking phone. Alternatively the SPV M500 (also sold as the QTek S100 and others).

5. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    Hi - is the "Orange SPV C550" the same as the "Orange SPV C500", i.e. its an upgraded version will TOM TOM still work???

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Yup, upgraded version. See no reason why TTM should not work but cannot confirm it does/will. Personally I prefer the look of the C500. Much classier me thinks :)

7. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    The C500 is "out of stock", have ordered the C550 (£117) on the Orange website, it was cheaper than they quoted me over the phone :eek: But I have a feeling they my try to call me and add a upgrade fee as I am only 6months through my last upgrade!

Any way, I now need a cheap GPS receiver, any ideas? Plenty on Ebay, some look a bit cheap and nasty. My budget would be £40 max really.

THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE!!!

8. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If it's any help, I just picked up a cheap GPS unit on Ebay, it uses a NEMERIX chip and I got it from a seller called AKTRONIX. I paid €67 Euros in total which works out to about £45, this price included FEDEX shipping from Singapore, I was also supplied with the required details to track it online.

It is bluetooth and it can be charged via the supplied USB lead. Already have it working via my IPAQ 4150 PDA.

I did not want to spend too much more either for a GPS setup.

Hope this helps

9. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    are all his auctions french/canadian?

10. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  11. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, most of the auctions are french/canadian on Ebay, but emails are sent in English.

The unit so far seems ok, but am still testing things out with it. But its like anything, you get what you pay for.

12. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I use a BT 77 type bluetooth receiver with a SE P910 and Route66 and it works great.

The receivers can be had off ebay for between £30 and £50 I got mine from this guy and it was delivered next day.

Search for BT 77 or Nemerix there are lots from UK suppliers. It comes with car and house charger and uses a standard nokia type phone battery. But battery life is as good as 16-20 hours which is the best you could probably expect from any current unit. It gets a fix fast and holds it too, and picks up quite a few satelites so accuracy is good.

The P910 has a big screen so you see a larger map. It syncs with Outlook and is probally the best PDA phone you could get.

Route66 works well with excellent, fast routing and display. However TomTom has just become available and from what I have seen it is just the same as the PDA or Go version.

Only problem with phone satnav is the speaker volume, which can be inaudible when driving. But the P910 has an external speaker jack, so this is not a problem with an external speaker.

Both route66 and tomtom allow you to have the route set for vehicle, cycle or walking - so you can use it when out and about.