Mobile Phone Upgrade Question

Gooner9

Standard Member
I was wondering if someone could answer this for me...

I have a monthly contract with t-mobile but I want a new phone, which I am willing to pay for.

If I bought a t-mobile pay-as-you-go mobile, can I just use the SIM from my current phone (pay monthly) and use as normal?

The reason I ask is that the unlocked mobile I want is £100+ and the pay-as-you-go t-mobile version is £70.

Thanks in advance...

SlinkDaddy

Novice Member
I was wondering if someone could answer this for me...

I have a monthly contract with t-mobile but I want a new phone, which I am willing to pay for.

If I bought a t-mobile pay-as-you-go mobile, can I just use the SIM from my current phone (pay monthly) and use as normal?

The reason I ask is that the unlocked mobile I want is £100+ and the pay-as-you-go t-mobile version is £70.

Thanks in advance...
In short yes.

Just be aware that some phone companies are now forcing customers to buy a minimum amount of credit with the phone, which could put the price up by approx £10.

I did the same thing myself. You also get an active pay as you go sim to put in your old phone for emergencies.

Gooner9

Standard Member
Thanks for your response, it's good advice.

:smashin:

It certainly makes sense, but knowing mobile phone companies they would probably put some sort of 'catch' in there to stop us saving a couple of quid.

So i guess that the PAYG SIM would only work once it had been registered/activated, and that's when they impose some minimum credit amount?

So, if I just took the phone out the box, chucked the PAYG SIM in a drawer and inserted my pay monthly SIM, it should all be OK?

SlinkDaddy

Novice Member
Thanks for your response, it's good advice.

:smashin:

It certainly makes sense, but knowing mobile phone companies they would probably put some sort of 'catch' in there to stop us saving a couple of quid.

So i guess that the PAYG SIM would only work once it had been registered/activated, and that's when they impose some minimum credit amount?

So, if I just took the phone out the box, chucked the PAYG SIM in a drawer and inserted my pay monthly SIM, it should all be OK?
When you buy a PAYG phone the seller is meant to activate it there and then in the store, any mandatory additional credit is charged at the time of sale. Its only when they are busy/lazy they wont do this. Retailers make next to nothing on the initial phone sale they get a commission from the mobile service provider when the SIM is activated. Hence most switch it on as you buy it.

Thats why they wont let you buy multiple lines of the same phone at the same time. They aren't intereseted in the meager margin (if any) they make on the phone on its own.

SlinkDaddy

Novice Member
Thats why the phone you want is cheaper with a SIM. They are subsidised by T-Mobile in the hope of gaining you as a customer. The retail price of a lot of phones would be astronomical without a subsidy.

Its much like Sky will chuck the kitchen sink at you to get you to sign up in the first place and then make the money back on your subscription.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom