Mobile Phone Reception Problems In Cornwall

pkalva

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

We are hoping to move to Cornwall this year and were down there the last two weeks house hunting and had a hell of a time trying to contact estate agents and our family. I have a Motorola L6 on Virgin Mobile and my wife has a Siemems C35e on Orange.

We are due to move into a caravan for 3 - 6 months whilst we search for a house and I don't think I can stand the hassle we have suffered over the last 2 weeks for the next 6 months - HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lease: :smashin: :lease: :smashin: :lease: :smashin: :lease: :smashin: :lease::smashin:

My question is, which network provides the best coverage in the Cornwall area ???

:lease: :smashin: :lease: :smashin: :lease: :smashin: :lease: :smashin: :lease: :smashin:

Whenever we have been down there we got variable reception on both orange and O2. None seemed any better or worse, just particular places - dips, valleys coastal cliffs etc seemed to cause low signal.

But the phone model may play just as much a part in holding on to the signal

I went on holiday to Cornwall earlier this summer with family and friends. We stayed near Lizard Point. I'm on 3 and my friends are on Vodaphone. Neither of us could get a signal anywhere in this area of Cornwall, which suited us well as we were unreachable from work.

I did hear, and this is not necessarily fact, that French mobile networks have coverage in cornwall that is better than UK networks!!!! I expect this won't help with your situation though, as calls will all be international (ouch).

I'd call the network providers and ask them about their coverage in the area of cornwall you're looking to move to, and ask them for a trial period before committing to a contract.

Good luck

Nick

The Towns often only get O2
The villages often only get Orange

strange but true!

Some people we know say Orange offers best coverage, but our experience has been mixed.
No network offers a complete solution in Cornwall. We recently looked into T-Mobile and their website coverage map looked quite good (maybe most operators do).

The answer for you has to be to decide where you are going to be spending most of your time and ask around the locals what they use.

Thanks to all of you.

I'll pop into Carphone Warehouse tomorrow to see what they have to say.

Again.....thanks to all of you

Peter :clap:

For information, this has just appeared on PC Pro news:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/95057/tmobile-maps-out-coverage.html
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid=phones_cua_uc_gis&customerCategory=personal
T-Mobile maps out coverage 1:04PM
T-Mobile is offering a network coverage checking tool via its website, to better advise potential users of the services available in particular locations. Dubbed StreetCheck, it generates a visual guide to the strength of 2G and 3G coverage on the basis of a user-supplied post code.

'It's a big simple thing,' T-Mobile's Brand Experience Manager, Greg Watts told us. 'We're being open and honest, checking coverage where it means most to customers.' The company claims it is a first among mobile network providers.

Officially launching today, we were told that the website utility is part of a wider training initiative for staff, to better imporve customer service. Apparently, in trials, use of the utility drove down the number of returns and also increased sales - a better informed customer is more likely to be a happy customer. Users will also have 14-day's grace to return handsets if coverage is not as described.

The underlying map data, we were told, is hosted by TeleAtlas, the company that supplies maps to the TomTom in-car GPS devices.

You can find the StreetCheck utility from the T-mobile homepage. It gives you the opporunity to check threee locations - 'Live', 'Work' and 'Play' - with separate viewing tabs for 2G and 3G.

Note that HSDPA coverage - a so-called 3.5G, which T-Mobile is currently rolling out - is not covered by the utility.

I'm on Orange throughout the day in Cornwall and have to say in general I get very good coverage - only the occasional 'no signal' moments which I guess would be the same with any network.

For information, this has just appeared on PC Pro news:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/95057/tmobile-maps-out-coverage.html
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid=phones_cua_uc_gis&customerCategory=personal
T-Mobile maps out coverage 1:04PM
T-Mobile is offering a network coverage checking tool via its website, to better advise potential users of the services available in particular locations. Dubbed StreetCheck, it generates a visual guide to the strength of 2G and 3G coverage on the basis of a user-supplied post code.

'It's a big simple thing,' T-Mobile's Brand Experience Manager, Greg Watts told us. 'We're being open and honest, checking coverage where it means most to customers.' The company claims it is a first among mobile network providers.

Officially launching today, we were told that the website utility is part of a wider training initiative for staff, to better imporve customer service. Apparently, in trials, use of the utility drove down the number of returns and also increased sales - a better informed customer is more likely to be a happy customer. Users will also have 14-day's grace to return handsets if coverage is not as described.

The underlying map data, we were told, is hosted by TeleAtlas, the company that supplies maps to the TomTom in-car GPS devices.

You can find the StreetCheck utility from the T-mobile homepage. It gives you the opporunity to check threee locations - 'Live', 'Work' and 'Play' - with separate viewing tabs for 2G and 3G.

Note that HSDPA coverage - a so-called 3.5G, which T-Mobile is currently rolling out - is not covered by the utility.

Thanks M8, looks interesting:thumbsup:

I was in Cornwall for a week recently, part holiday and part photography business, and I never once lost my T-Mobile signal.

Sorry, meant to say we were based in Hayle, but spent a lot of time in St Ives and Penzance. Did lose the signal once for a while but that was at the Eden Project and not particularly surprising when you see how deep that quarry is.....:).
Never lost the signal anywhere else but it may depend on what part of Cornwall you are looking to move to.
I've also used T-Mobile a lot in Inverness (ok I know it's not Cornwall but it's pretty remote) and I've never had a problem there either.

Sorry, meant to say we were based in Hayle, but spent a lot of time in St Ives and Penzance. Did lose the signal once for a while but that was at the Eden Project and not particularly surprising when you see how deep that quarry is.....:).
Never lost the signal anywhere else but it may depend on what part of Cornwall you are looking to move to.
I've also used T-Mobile a lot in Inverness (ok I know it's not Cornwall but it's pretty remote) and I've never had a problem there either.

Thanks a lot :smashin: - we will be looking in the Hayle/Penzance area as well as the over-priced housing in Tintagle, Crackington, and Boscastle and the Lizard.

T-Mobile in most parts of Cornwall isn't too bad. Best parts for indoor
coverage are Truro, Camborne and St Ives. Everywhere it's below average.
Orange overall is the best network in Cornwall, with O2 as the
2nd best, Vodafone as 3rd, 3 as 4th and T-Mobile last

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom