1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobile Phone / Organiser

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by loz1, Apr 14, 2004.

1. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I've got a 4 year old pay as you go Nokia and the display appears to go very faint sometimes. I don't really use it very much but as it's pretty old now and not needing much of an excuse I'm thinking of replacing it with another pay as you go model. I've also got a clapped out Palm iiic organiser that has seen better days which I mainly use to hold contact details (including postal addresses) and internet access ID's and which I synchronise on my home PC with Microsoft Outlook.

Rather than pay out for a new phone and a new organiser I was wondering whether there were any mobiles out there that would allow me to hold addresses, notes, etc. I'd also heard that it's sometimes cheaper to buy a new phone under contract, cancel it after 12 months and change the sim to pay as you go.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Lawrence

2. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Looks like you are in the same boat as me. I'm very tempted by the Motorola MPX200 but I can only get it on 02 or Orange, not Voda (which is best for coverage in my area).

O2's prices are putting me off, and Orange's network is putting me off. Plus the phone seems to be doing a dissappearing act out of most of the highstreet stores while I make up my mind.

3. willo

willo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've gone through 3 MPX200 within 6 months, Orange don't stock them anymore due to complaints. Its not a bad phone, just to many bugs in it. My replacement is a Nokia 6600, its supprised me no end. At first I hated its size and weight, but its been really growing on me. It has all the functions of smartphones, email, internet and a good organiser and it syncs with my pc over bluetooth.

loz1, if you still want to use a palm system, then I would recommend something like the Treo 600 on Orange. If you just want something that does the basics then either the Nokia 6600 or SPV E200 (windows smartphone) are good bets.

4. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Willo:

I'm intrugued by the MPX200. Almost everyone who has had written anything about it online says its a total pile. Yesterday I read 24 reviews pretty much all of which said how usless it was. I was sufficiently p*ssed off that the seemingly one and only perfect phone for what I want could be so flawed that I rang Motorola today and gave them this URL

The very helpfullady I spoke to *claimed* that they knew nothing about the supposed recurrant faults with this phone. - yet there are all these people out there sending them back to the shops in droves. I don't get it...!

Out of interest, what was wrong with yours?

5. willo

willo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The big problem with the phones is that they tend to freeze randomly on the boot up screen, nothing happens!! The way aroung this is to do a hard reset, but this will wipe everything off the phone, meaning its factory settings. This is a right pain as you lose txt messeages etc, I'm not prepared to put up with it, especially when I spend quite abit on line rental and GPRS. Also I had a real problem with the signal strength, I work in Central London and in my office I would struggle to get 1 bar, most of the time I don't get a signal at all. With my Nokia, I get a full signal. Also you may have read that the battery is poor, its true, in fact its pants.

But having said all that, its a good phone, I would have kept it as well (was quoted 13 weeks for a replacement!!), but the problems became abit to much. I don't think the SPV's have the same problems for some reason. If you really want an MPX then I would advise you to wait for it replacement, I think its the MPX220, it should fix alot of the problems. If you want more info from users then a good website is:

http://smartphone.modaco.com/index.php

6. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cheers for the reply. More of the same then: Freezing on startup and crap battery life.

I know about the 220. Unfortunately it has a built in camera, which means I won't be allowed to take it on site where I work (we have a very strict no cameras / cameraphones policy). Hence my attractioin to the 200.

Arse.

7. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I was never happy using a phone keypad to input anything more than dialing or texting (with T9).

I now use a SE P900 which has stylus and touch screen input, which has virtually replaced my Ipaq pocketpc.

It is not only an amazing phone, but an excellent combined communication device for email, web, mms, photos etc. It has hundreds of software programs available too.

It is also actually more useable than the smaller phones with their tiny screens and keys. It is easier to hold, and still slim enough to slip in a pocket.

It syncronises fully with outlook, and you can make those brief handwritten notes, or use the excellent text recognition.

I don't envisage ever going back to a 'normal' phone with just a keypad and a smaller screen.

8. Sprout Crumble

Sprout Crumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Another big vote for the P900. I use mine intensively (3000 plus minutes a month) as an organiser and keep track of hundreds of contacts spread over two dozen different contracts (I'm a contracts manager for a stone company). Some genuinely useful software as well.

9. willo

willo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The P900 is a great phone, bit pricey though but you get what you pay for. Darren, think your going to have a tough time finding a smartphone without a camera. The only one that I can think of is the old SPV E100 but its discontinued!!

10. loz1

loz1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Sounds like I need to do some research on the Treo and the P900.

Cheers,
    Lawrence