Mobile internet access

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Arif, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Arif

Arif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that this forum as a whole may well not be the best place to post such a question – but you’re a trusted community now – so there.

Is Vodafone the only company supplying those cards which you just slot in to your laptop – and it’s Broadband enabled? (Subject of course to hooking up with Vodafone, registering, and subscribing or paying as you go, etc)

How does one go about utilising Wifi? I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro L10 – will this be able to use Wifi?

I assume that Wifi is a different animal, and less flexible than the Vodafone card thing – in that in the Vodafone example above – it’s as versatile as using as mobile phone to connect to the Internet. Whereas with Wifi - you have to find a 'zone'.

In the Vodafone example above too – you’re charged per Megabyte of download or upload – so if one is surfing the Internet – then does this constitute continous flow of Mb? Or does it only flow while accessing a page, type thing.

Checking e-mails – which bits of this would require Mb-flow?

A deluge of disjointed questions, I know – but your collective input would be most appreciated, as ever.

Arif

2. bigdic

bigdic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Orange do the cards as well.

You only get charged per MB as you say so if you access your e-mail on-line and not outlook then you'll only be charged for e-mails you look at. Same with web pages, only charged for pages you load, it's not continuous.

Wi-fi will require a wi-fi card which slots into your laptop in a similar way to the 3G cards. You'll also need a wireless point (in your house, hotel, coffee shop etc.)

3. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    OK here is what I know, if you take out the Vodaphone card, for 60 pound a month you get unlimited 3G internet access, just like unlimited broaband, but of course you don't need a fixed line and the 3G signal is more widespread, can pretty much use it anywhere compared to a wifi signal at its up to speeds of 384kbps, so it's pretty hand..60 pound may seem like alot but it is not considering what you get, unlimited high speed internet anywhere...

4. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Just to expand on others with usefull links.

Not sure where Siz gets his tarif info from but it sounds good! Maybe its not listed as an option on the Vodaphone site but is available through retailers?

The Vodaphone details are here

The official Vodaphone site price plan is here.

Here is the Orange pricing plan.

As mentioned above by other posters, I believe that these two are the only ones with mobile data cards. Three can supply you GPRS access but you would need to use one of there phones via usb/infrared as a modem.

5. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17,376
    Nope...Vodafone, O2, Orange and T-mobile all do it with datacards. Three does it with the phone only and all the others can do it with the phone as well.

I'm using my Nokia 6680 to do exactly that. I get a reported 404Kbs download on Vodafone, which I don't understand as the spec dictates 384Kbs but there you go. The main reason I didn't go for a build-in card is that several of my colleaques had them snap when they put them in the laptop bag. They stick out with their antenna's and are ridiculously expensive to replace without a contract!

I just use mine with bluetooth on my phone and it works great and it is one device less. One not very widely known feature of Vodafone is actually really good. Text message bundles count for Mb's of data. This is value based, so a 500 text pack is good for 24Mb! Remember when looking at others that unlimited downloads is limited by FUP's...So it is not unlimited! The advantage is that a text pack can be used for any combination of sms,mms,gprs (including 3g) and video messages, but not video calling!

Hope this helps....

6. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Cool! Although why I didn't think of checking O2 i will never know ...doh!

Got any price URL's for the man?

7. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    o2 is limited to 128kbps in speed or maybe t-mobile, well one of the, check the site..