Mobile contract cost!

stblob

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Its been some time since I've had a contract, so been looking around for some good deals.
How much?
Do some people really pay £80 upfront for the device and then £45 month for 500mb of data?
Seems to me that contracts have got very expensive over the last few years.
Thinking of keeping my OPO1 with my 12gb data sim.
Rant over I guess.

The way I see it is you basically need to pay for the overpriced handset over a 24 month period and they fling in some air time as a wee bonus for you lol.

Been SIM only for about 6 years now. I just buy a new Motorola phone every 2 years for less than half what a new iPhone costs.
There's a few countries where the networks do not subsidise the cost of the handsets, love to see the young'uns buy the new iPhone every year then lol

There's a few countries where the networks do not subsidise the cost of the handsets, love to see the young'uns buy the new iPhone every year then lol
I used to live in Portugal 10 years ago. Very few phone contacts available at the time and phones were expensive. Virtually everyone was pay as you go.

SIM only here, on a cashback deal pay less than £5 pm for unlimited mins / txts and 7gb data a month.
The first rule might be never to talk about fight club but how the f#*k you manage that one? lol I'm £10, unlimited texts and 5 gig of 4G....I thought I was doing good then you come and take a sh#t on my dreams!! [emoji23]

I've been shopping around recently for a contract and I must say, I was surprised how expensive they are. I have been on SIM only deal for a while, so lost touch with the contract / phone prices, but they certainly are not getting cheaper.

Wife & myself both on family sims with BT. 2 sims, 15gb data each. £30 a month

Use between 10gb & 14gb a month

Cheaper to buy phones outright

Last edited:
Defo mate

I've been on contract with phone for years, only just recently changed to SIM only, 12 month contract with Vodafone through cashback £10 a month, ultd/ultd 16gb data. Never in my life used that much data in a month but it's coming in handy in Tenerife at the moment especially 4g and using it as a Wifi hotspot.

I've been with Three for several years and have been SIM only for a while now. At the moment I pay £11 a month for unlimited calls and texts and 2 GB of data. I never use all the data and their Feel At Home service is great.

In terms of phones, I tend to buy a generation old phone when the price is right and prefer stock Android devices.

This combination has worked well for me for the past few years.

I've been with Three for several years and have been SIM only for a while now. At the moment I pay £11 a month for unlimited calls and texts and 2 GB of data. I never use all the data and their Feel At Home service is great.

In terms of phones, I tend to buy a generation old phone when the price is right and prefer stock Android devices.

This combination has worked well for me for the past few years.
I've been with 3 in the past and will no doubt again in the future as their prices ain't bad but with a few holidays abroad planned this year I wanted a decent service.
3 unfortunately only do 3g and no tethering so have to give it miss this time.

The first rule might be never to talk about fight club but how the f#*k you manage that one? lol I'm £10, unlimited texts and 5 gig of 4G....I thought I was doing good then you come and take a sh#t on my dreams!! [emoji23]

The deal wasn't available for very long, check e2save.co.uk and mobiles.co.uk. I actually pay the full amount of £16.99 but over the 12 months contract claim back £150 split over 5 payments. You have to be organised enough to be able to get the claims in within a certain window or the claims get rejected. It easy enough though.

Another vote for buy the handset you can afford plus sim only plan. Cash back if possible. For example last month the Vodafone big data plans at £20 / £25 for up to 25gb data were getting £100 cashback on topcashback

I always get refurbished phones and never had a problem with them.

I currently pay £17.00 a month and had my Samsung S6 nearly 2 years now

I'm currently paying £12 per month for a brand new Huawei P9, u/l calls, u/l texts, and 30GB data. From the above I guess that's a good deal?

Last edited:
I always get refurbished phones and never had a problem with them.
From anywhere in particular?
I'm currently paying £12 per month for a brand new Huawei P9, u/l calls, u/l texts, and 30GB data. From the above I guess that's a good deal?
Looks good to me.

I've got 3 contracts (family): £5 each (no cashback hassle), unltd/unltd, 1 GB. Any unused data is shared and rolled over, so none is wasted. It wouldn't do you big data users, but it does us.

From anywhere in particular?
Looks good to me.

I've got 3 contracts (family): £5 each (no cashback hassle), unltd/unltd, 1 GB. Any unused data is shared and rolled over, so none is wasted. It wouldn't do you big data users, but it does us.
My last 2 refurb handsets have been from e2save.com but quite a few online retailers provider refurb options

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom