Mobile Air Conditioners

Fusewire

Has anyone got one of these ???

I have seen them in B & Q for £200 - £300 and I am starting to thing I should have one (as you could have fried eggs on the coffee table in our house lately). :thumbsup:

From what I can make out the exhaust pipe has to be externaly vented, will I be able to just hang it out of the window and still get effective cooling. :confused:

Also is it a problem if I extent the exhaust pipe as many I have seen only have 1.5m exhaust pipes which doesn't seem like much to me? :confused:

:lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease:

Nick_UK

Banned
The exhaust pipe has to be vented outside, and gets very hot, so it needs to have a short a route as possible, otherwise the pipe will end up heating the room.

ush flynn

the longer your exhaust pipe the less effective the unit will become. Poking it out an open window isnt really ideal either, the air it expells is very hot and it might jsut get blown back in by a breeze anyway. If you can sit it as close to the exit port your using and the room isnt huge they do a decent job of cooling, no need to sit right next to it.

abraxus

Fusewire said:
Has anyone got one of these ???

I have seen them in B & Q for £200 - £300 and I am starting to thing I should have one (as you could have fried eggs on the coffee table in our house lately). :thumbsup:

From what I can make out the exhaust pipe has to be externaly vented, will I be able to just hang it out of the window and still get effective cooling. :confused:

Also is it a problem if I extent the exhaust pipe as many I have seen only have 1.5m exhaust pipes which doesn't seem like much to me? :confused:

:lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease:

I have one and they work. Have it in the bedroom with the pipe out the window. Room's nice and cool. Get as powerful as you can, obviously based on room size. Mine's 9000btu's I think ,for a 12 x 14 room, and does the job but could have gone up to 12000 in honesty.

As I say, they do work, so much that I've ordered another one (bigger) for the living room. Only problem is finding stock at the moment.

Mep

I've heard they cost a lot to run...have you seen the electric bill since you got yours?

Vitalija

I have one.I don't use it much in a year so the electricity doesn't really come in to it.It's been a godsend in the last week and I wouldn't be without it.:thumbsup:

pantages

mep said:
I've heard they cost a lot to run...have you seen the electric bill since you got yours?

I bought a portable one yesterday, it has made a big difference to the comfort in my living room, but it is noisy! I now wish I had bought a two part unit, with the noisy bit to go outside. Average cost is about 7p an hour or as low as 2.5p if you use economy 7 at night. As it is only likely to be used for a few days a year the cost is justified by the relief the machine brings. :thumbsup:

klr10

I have two lodgers, both of them have been as dosy as hell for the past couple of weeks. Moanin' and moanin' can't sleep, too hot, horrible, etc etc. I bought a B&Q one last year and I just have the pipe hanging out the window.... I wouldn't care if the 'leccy bill was £500 I'm in heaven (even better than the car) :thumbsup:

AML

In Asia (Japan) every home has air con units in ever room.

http://ctlg.national.jp/product/info.do?pg=04&hb=CS-AX226AS

This is what they look like. They get fitted above a window with an insulated pipe leading out (through a hole) to the big fan that vents the heat outside.

These machines are fairly cheap these days and the one in the pic costs about 70.000 yen (350 quid) You can get them cheaper. Cheapest one I saw was about 150 quid.

But its not mobile! You sort of need one for every room.

Cant live without it in Japan. Summers are really hot and humid.

And considering how hot the UK was last time I was there, people will start buying them in the near future.

Fusewire

Thanks for the replys guy, I think I'll pop down B & Q and get one and hang the exhaust pipe out of the window. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom