Moana 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the review - I've never seen it (the kids have) but after reading this I think I'll give it a whirl on D+

Easily one of the best animated films of all time, immensely rewatchable which is great considering my 8y.o. daughter loves it and regularly grabs me to stick it on which usually results in me sitting down and rewatching it for the umpteenth time, every song hits perfectly, every joke lands and the final scene with Moana and the Fire God is still touching... blows everything Pixar have done out the water imo.

I use How Far I'll Go as a test track (it's on Qobuz as a 24/96 file) and I have no problem admitting it. It is by far the best Disney song of the 21st century.

Last edited:
It’s fantastic, I’ve watched this so many times with my daughter and it was one of the first Disney films that she connected with, mostly thanks to ‘You’re Welcome’! Absolutely beautiful looking film also. I do wish these Disney audio mixes were better but in all other regards it’s a stunner of an animated film for me.

I haven't really been into Disney animation since I was a child however Moana is one of the exceptions along with Wreck it Ralph and Tangled.

It's a really good movie with some truly wonderful, catchy songs that are reminiscent of Disney's second golden age of the 90's and it looks beautiful even on blu-ray so I had to get the 4k disc.

I gave it a spin last week, the first 10 mins and it looks and sounds stunning. Just looking at the water, it's so real. Unfortunately for me my C7 is out of action so my 4k viewings are on hold for the moment.

Thanks Cas.

the Blu Ray is absolutely stunning so can only imagine what the UHD looks like......

There's no chance there is the German dub on the 4k or Bluray disc is there?

I watched this countless times when my kid was small and her dvd collection consisted of as many films as she could count ;-) Now I'm having to buy her shelving for her films and the ones of mine which she stole.

We always watched it together in German although she watched it in English with friends and other family members... so to be honest for me I want it as a memory the way I'm sure to it. Also lets be honest Disney generally does amazing translations/dubs and some of the songs which aren't literally translated have poignant lyrics in German.

Anyways, I concur completely this has to be my favourite Disney film of all time.

There's no chance there is the German dub on the 4k or Bluray disc is there?

I watched this countless times when my kid was small and her dvd collection consisted of as many films as she could count ;-) Now I'm having to buy her shelving for her films and the ones of mine which she stole.

We always watched it together in German although she watched it in English with friends and other family members... so to be honest for me I want it as a memory the way I'm sure to it. Also lets be honest Disney generally does amazing translations/dubs and some of the songs which aren't literally translated have poignant lyrics in German.

Anyways, I concur completely this has to be my favourite Disney film of all time.

Let me check

Edit - sorry mate, no German, not even subtitles, on either 4K or BD.

Moana is a cracker, but I think Coco just nudges ahead of it for me in terms of beauty. And I think Tangled still edges it for music.

And yes, I do have children 😬

Thanks Cas! Nice to hear how it compares to the Disney+ DV version.

Actually you all have me to thank for this release as, having given up waiting, I ordered the Aussie version which arrived this January! :D

Thanks for the review Cas.

i own the US 4k disc for quite some time already and absolutely love it. Saw Moana when it came out in theaters and have to agree it is one of the best Disney movies of the last 10 years (if not the best :) ).
Like Raya as well and can’t wait for the 4K disc to arrive at my home in May !!

Hopefully Disney will release the other missing 4k discs in the UK so they can be enjoyed here as well !

Thanks for the review Cas.

Our family loves Moana, but I’m frightened to put it on as my wife is climbing the walls wanting to escape on holiday. Those Disney blue seas and beautiful sunsets may drive her over the edge!

Agree with Ed on How far I’ll go, great song. We know the way is great too.
It’s one of a few songs that when it’s on, we stumble over the lyrics (but pretending to know them obviously) until the chorus and then everyone belts it out as if it was our last ever chance to sing :)

Last edited:
Never seen it but your review has made me go for it. Decent price at Amazon .
Looking forward to watching

I’ll stick with the 3D copies of all the Disney stuff, although from Soul onwards looks like it will be 4K only.

Just wanted to say this is quintessential Disney, much better than Frozen and definitely a classic.

P.S I don’t have kids I just watch them for my own enjoyment :cool:. Although I will be breaking them all out for them in the future, NOT the live action remakes though because those suck :nono:.

Already got it on blu but after reading the review I’m tempted to get it and the price is pretty decent too edit ordered it and frozen 2 on 4K gone down to £15 dammit @Casimir Harlow

Last edited:
Never seen it but your review has made me go for it. Decent price at Amazon .
Looking forward to watching
You are in for such a treat.

I'm 56, no kids and generally regard either Aardman or Pixar as the kings of animation, but this film is just so brilliant. I was shocked at how good it was.

Great price on a new 4K release, so I bought it to replace my Blu-Ray too. Though (and I know this has been mentioned a million times on here already but I just need to get it off my chest), why on earth is it a 2-disc release?

If you've got a UHD player, you'll watch the 4K disc and not bother with the other one. If you've got a Blu-Ray player, you'll watch the Blu-Ray and not bother with the other one.

I do like to have choices in my life, but what's the point?

I’d guess it’s because people might be thinking of buying a 4K player and in the meantime get the Blu-ray, or want the Blu-ray to use in another room, or more likely that 4K discs don’t often contain any extras so it’s easier just to include the Blu-ray in the case.

This UHD is one of the most stunning-looking movies in my entire collection, literally 'staring slack-jawed at the screen' kind of stunning. The BD is very very good, but holy cow the UHD stomps on it.

We watched this tonight. It’s a great Disney film with astounding visuals. There’s some great humour in it and we loved it. Some great songs as well.
The audio is typical Disney levels though but certainly didn’t detract from a thoroughly enjoyable experience

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom