1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

moan - sevenoaks and those firmware updates

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by papachumba, Oct 7, 2004.

1. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well,
    i read the thread regarding Arcam's software/firmware updates,
    decided to contact my dealer (sevenoaks in holborn -about 2 weeks ago now) and ask them if they could provide me with an update CD, or at least give me the ok to ask for this CD from Arcam.
    In addition to this, i have asked for the copy of the receipt for my purchase of the Arcam DV89 and Keff eggs which i purchased 11 months ago (i have misplaced mine somewhere :suicide: )

after a few days and no return email, i decided to give them a call and ask whats going on. I was greeted by a helpfull assistant who told me that they were just downloading the emails and going through them. :rolleyes: I told him to read mine and reply in the email as i didnt have time to wait and chat.

That same day i received a reply, saying that NO that they cannot provide the update CD for me, but if i want i can come in and have it updated in the store :rolleyes: (or to go to the store in Ealing as it is closer to me), and that they were trying to trace my invoice and couldnt find it :nono: (with a promise that i will receive it by the end of the week)

I responded to this by giving them more details regarding my original order for help (dates, CC numbers, etc) and asking them if they could confirm that the sevenoaks in ealing had the latest version of firmware.

2 weeks have passed now, and I still havent received a reply from them, meaning they probably cannot trace my order and supply me with a copy of the invoice :thumbsdow , and i honestly think they didnt try to find out which firmware version the store in question has either.

so, there we go, customer loyalty and all that, speak to your local supplier and all that, they will sort you out. :hiya: (seems to apply only if you have a few grand burning in your pocket).

So come on arcam - most of us havent got time to take our precious equipment out of our designated places, unplug a gazilion cables, find time to drive it to the store and then give it to some spotty kid who will put the update cd in the drive and do exactly what i could have done at home. and yes i have done firmware updates on various pieces of equipment, from BIOS to little dodgy chips attached to breadbards and wires sticking everywhere, and although i admit SOME of us might be stupid enough to fry our equipment while we do the update (those will be stupid enough to keep their running kettle on their AV equipment anyway) :rolleyes: , most of us seem to agree that we are capable of doing this, as well as knowing that if something went wrong we could only blame ourselves anyway. :lease:

the only reason dealerships are pushing you to push us to go to the stores for this is to earn a few extra bucks by selling something else to us while we wait for that update. When it comes to the actual update questions, retrieving receipts and anything that doesnt involve the exchange of currency dealerships still treat us like cattle (at least... in my experience... and from a reputable store)

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Sevenoaks-Holborn were wrong to give you such a blunt answer about the update cd but were correct in saying that they could not send one out to you. They can however contact Arcam and ask them to send you a disc directly. Quite why they are having so much trouble finding your receipt is beyond me, but it would seem they don't have a very good file managment system in place.

I'm sorry you'd had problems but I would ask you and other forum members on here not to tar the Sevenoaks name on the basis of one or two stores poor customer service. A vast majority of the Sevenoaks stores are franchises and therefore are independently owned and managed which can then result in very different levels of product knowledge and customer service between branches.

Chris (Sevenoaks-Edinburgh)

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Alternatively you could go here and download the firmware updates yourself and burn them to disc, or if you PM me with your e-mail address I'll e-mail the updates to you.

Arcam Firmware Updates

4. stevebez

stevebez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I got my DV88+ from Cornflake on Windmill Street just of Tot Crt Road over 2yrs ago, and they sent the update CD out to me on condition I send it back. Had it within cple of days and did the upgrade ... felt terrible that I hung onto the disk for a week - but sent it back to them with thanks!

Rgds Steve.

5. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx for your reply crusty,
    i was just having a moan anyway, you are bound to get this with any company in reality... :rolleyes:

I couldnt find the software/firmware updates on the page you supplied (for dv89), i remember coming accross that page before but it is a US page so i was weary of downloading anything from it.

6. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    All the updates for the various models are on the same disc..

7. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wnated to add something about Sevenoaks in Tunbridge Wells (one of the first branches to open) i have been a customer of theres for a number of years now - its the only place i buy my HI-FI, HT stuff from.

I know for fact that if i ever have a prblem they can look up everthing i have bought from them on there till system, just punch in name and address and there it all is and they can print off the receipt at the same time.

Also they have been top on customer service, example being i bought a Pioneer 626D DVD player off them years ago, it stopped working after about 6 months, the day after a storm, told them etc but didnt know if the storm had caused it, anyways they opened it up in the store, removed the DVD still in the drive and gave me a brand new 626D.

All in all Sevenoaks have been top in my book.

Spike

8. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    My local Sevenoaks have been brilliant with me so far. There are 1 or 2 staff there who act abit aloof, so I don't deal with them, but the rest are extremely friendly and helpful. I have no hesitations in Sevenoaks them to friends and colleagues.
    But I also agree that as it's a franchise certain stores may be being run by plonkers. Don't go there...

9. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Do you burn the updates to cd or dvd , also is their anything special you have to do with it as it says on the web site if you dont know how to burn a iso file to disc you shouldnt attempt the update

10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Upzip all the files if they are zipped up and then just burn all the files to a blank cd and make sure it is finalised. Follow the instructions supplied to apply the update.

11. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Once you have the files on your computer, you don't have to burn them onto a CD. Just unzip them into a folder and then launch the installation application, which will install the "AVR300 Programmer" application on your computer. Now follow the simple instructions on the .pdf file (for which you'll need to have Adobe Acrobat reader installed on your computer.)
    PM me if you need more detailed instructions.

12. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That applies to the AVR 300. The discussion is about DVD player updates, requiring the CD burning procedure explained above.

13. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Quite right dwette, some people are a little hasty about posting answers.

14. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Anyone know if the update problems that people are having with their 88+ affect the DV27

15. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to let everyone know, i have downloaded the software from the posted site, and burned it to a cd-r (at minimum speed just to be sure), followed the instructions and everything worked a treat.

thanks to all involved, especially Crustyloafer for his help!

16. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    You're very welcome. That's how all customers should be treated, although you haven't actually bought anything from me. Yet ;)

17. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to update on this one,
    i received a call the other day from my sevenoaks branch (i totally gave up on my receipts and i was very surprised when i heard from them)

he advised me that they have been tracing a copy of that invoice i was looking for and they have finally found it!
    although a bit late i am very grateful to them now :clap:

18. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I can't believe it took them a month to find it!!!

19. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    As a side question, is this system of going through he dealer working well?

I ask as it seems more trouble than it's worth.

I know people like Crustyloafer give excellent service, but can the same be said across the board?

20. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I think most people who work in hifi shops need a good lesson in customer service. Half of them are aloof technocrates that tell you bull half the time when they don't know the answer, talk too much so you can't even hear the equipment and are unwilling most of the time to set up equipment so you can demo. How many people have gone into a hifi shop to listen to an av receiver and are only able to listen in stereo (Superfi Leeds take note) because its not setup properly.

21. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I recommend my dealer (Sevenoaks Exeter), been using them for years. Originally went in and (as you say) the assistant was a bit up himself so went to the other guy there and been asking for him ever since. Really knows his stuff, admits when he doesn't (but finds the answer when he doesn't).

Lately he setup the demo between my avr300 and the denon 3805, was there about 5 hours with my GF and they fed us tea ect and left us to it. They know/trust me well enough to be left to plug/unplug/test kit.

Bad points, just 2.

1. I can't get home demo's. But to be fair i live 80miles away and the kit
    i want to test is always the newest and best so are in great demand.

2. Their upgrade computer sucks and they need a new one. Last time i called
    it had died so they couldn't do the avr300 firmware. Been awhile maybe they've got a new one now.

If you are around there ask for Mark. Hope he works on commision :)

22. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Pssst- please inform Cornflake there are so-called CD BURNERS around for silly money to make a copy a for a customer... :D
    Barend

23. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,540
    Don't you think he may have better things to do with his time than burn upgrade Cd's for customers?

As the rule goes, if you do it for one customer, you have to do it for them all!

24. cranial

cranial

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Can I just say I can't fault Sevenoaks in HOLBORN. I have been dealing with that branch for a while now (about 6 months) and their service to me has been exemplary, but of course, that is MY experience and I accept that there are times where things can go wrong, but doesn't that happen to all of us ? can you honestly say that you have NEVER upset a customer or dealt with a customer less than you should have done ?....and that applies to ALL of us eh ?

Dan

25. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I’ve used Sevenoaks Holborn a few times now and they’ve always been very helpful! :)

26. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    It's good to hear from people who have had good experiences from shops. Most people these days are far to quick to complain when there is a problem or a slight mishap but when everthing goes right and works better than expected where are all the e-mails and letters complimenting us on our service? I know for a fact that we have a far higher proportion of happy customers compared to unhappy ones, yet why are there always more complaints received than praise. It's a sad world we live in these days. :rolleyes:

27. cranial

cranial

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is an excellent point. I'm not in retail but I've been in the Holborn store where it's plain to see it's been manic, around lunchtime when everybody 'pops in' for advice on how to hook up their stuff that they bought on the net......well, I'm speculating there, but in the main, I believe the Holborn store is a small unit that comes under a lot of pressure. I'm only commenting because i've seen it first hand, I'm sure this no doubt applies to your store too eh ?

Crustyloafer, you are so right. In my business (recruitment) we rarely get praised for a job well done and as you correctly say, it's a shame that the odd bad experience seems to make the biggest wound......seems nowadays, there's no news like bad news.

28. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, over here on my side of the pond, Music For Pleasure in St. Louis is a first rate dealer. I've been their customer for over 10 years. They have always taken the best care of me, and I won't even consider any of their competitors anymore. I have the same experiences with my auto dealer (Autohaus BMW).

It's great to have retailers that know what they're doing and who will take the extra step to treat you right.

29. cranial

cranial

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I quite agree. I would rather pay the few pounds/dollars/shekels (insert your preferred currency here) for the service, the demonstration facilities, the advice, the after sales etc etc...I mean these guys have rent and rates and god knows what else to pay too , and don't try to sell you an extended warranty,and at the same time regular people want them to provide all that AND match the price of a seller who just has a website to maintain. You just can't beat the personal approach.

30. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm the same. I'm happy to pay extra if it means I get added value after the sale is closed.