MMud man got me thinking.

Ripco

Established Member
Reaction score
What if I were to buy some white glow powder and clear liquid supplied from another website, (Theoretically white glow in the dark paint) and paint it onto a wall or some mdf etc.

Would this create and amazing visual screen glow. Or am I just spouting crap as usual and should shut up now?

Ok so the only few things putting me off my idea are the cost for something that could be a lot of crap and not having a clue about the stupidity or the validity of this brainwave.

Any ideas/thoughts welcome.

Ripco. :lease:

Interesting idea. But presumably you want the paint to dynamically reflect the image being produced by the PJ. Hence anything which produced a latent glow would simply get in the way and potentially wash out the image?

S'pose until it was tried you'd never know!...PJ

Thanks for the reply. I just thought that after seeing the MMud mans idea that his photo's were very vibrant in color and gave off an amazing glow. The glow word stuck in my head and I thought about the above mentioned idea.

So, what kind of things do you think would cause a bad effect to the picture? I mean obviously within the films there may be bright lights etc. but all in all no matter what image is projected on the wall/mdf etc I cant see it making a difference. However I feel my idea would either make an amazing bright screen or fail dismally. Thats why I mentioned MMud man as I presume he may have tried something similar or have to tools/patience/ability to test it as I beleive my DIY skills are so crap that nothing I could do would work properly. So either MMud or my idea would be lost on me, but anything to help make an amazing screen with a lost cost.

Keep the replys coming.

Ripco.

Current count 1 (Whoo hoo Im not a Re-re). :clap:

Imagine a bright scene followed by a dark scene.

If you used glow paint the bright scene would stimulate the paint to glow hence the dark scene would be all washed out. Moreover, the longer you watched the movie, the more the glow paint would be stimulated, and the brighter the overall glow would get - you may need sunglassess after a while!

...PJ :)

Wouldn't you also get image retention on going to a dark scene?

dave

Maybe I will use the original green glow in the dark colour and only watch the Matrix movies on my PJ.

Ripco.

I've used glow paint for signage and the pigments in them are heavy and quite course. There's no way you'll be able to get a nice even coverage for a screen and it'll cost a fortune in paint even if you could.
Like PJ says the paint'll charge up over time as well, 10 sec of sunlight is enough to have the green/blue glow paint shine for an hour or more in the dark.

I was gonna use white glow paint, but the coverage part/cost part is putting me off.

Thanks,

Ripco.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom