1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MMUD for France

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Romberth, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Romberth

Romberth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone!
    Please excuse my english in advance...

I read almost everything I could find about MMUD and I'm amazed by the idea and the screenshots. Bravo to you again MMAN! as I told you on the mail I sent you.
    I am still in the process of building my home theatre. The room is 5 meters X 3 meters approx and the two 3 meters sides unfortunately need to stay open. The original plan was a 2.60 meters width electric screen placed on one of the 3 meters side. I already bought everything, waiting in my basement until all the work is done : Cambridge AV, Klipsch, PCHC and Sony VPH 1292 mint condition.

In order to benefit from this discovery ( gone LFcrazy), i was planning to purchase a Z3 or a ptae 700 just for that and change the orientation of the viewing by 90 degrees and watch a 2440mm LF screen fixed on the 5 meters wall from a less than 3 meters eyes distance...feeling really guilty for my 1292 :(

But I just had an idea to make it work with my 1292 which will be ceiling mounted.
    The plan is to set up something like a door stucture for the LF screen... It would stay on the 5 meters wall on normal time than when i want to see a movie, i would open it like a page of a book on the 3 meters side.

CRT/1080p on LF screen :clap: I believe this would look like heaven.

MMAN! Please tell me this will happen ! Will you help?

As i told you on the mail I sent you, a friend of mine would go for 2 screens (for LCD beamers), one for him (small 1.5 meters width) and a big one for his father. I would make another one for my parents house.

Just can't wait...

Rom

2. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    Romberth,

Where are you living in France? I am on the Cote d'Azur near Nice.

I have been following the MMUD story with interest too as I have just converted my cellar to a home cinema. It's 8m x 3.5m & currently I am projecting my Panasonic PTAE700 onto one of the 3.5m walls painted matt white. The screen size is about 3m wide.

Have you found a source for the plastic mirror that you spray the MMUD paint onto?

3. Romberth

Romberth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Nigel.

I live in Paris.

I found 2440X122 acrylic mirror sheets for 260 euros shipping included at "Cadillac-plastic France" http://www.cadillac-plastic.fr/pages/By_Material-A-A20AFVS.htm

Its very very expensive... but with a choice of 2 or 3 mm thick.
    A friend of mine found around 200 euros (but i dn't know where, i have to ask him).

The best i found : Lapeyre.fr
    Look for e-catalogue, then interieur, then placard, then portes coulissantes, then miroir argent... ONLY 79 euros!! BUT...
    I believe they use a 2440X122 and they cut it in half.
    I called one of the shop (one near Paris) and they told me, "yes, we can make a "sur mesure" for you... I was about to ask for an uncut original sheet when they told me that my demand had to be made by fax. I don't have a fax. I insisted and they ****** me off, i hang up. That's where I stand today, I have to call another of their shops.

Nigel, if you could start a search on your side, i'm sure that would help. May be you can call a Lapeyre shop yourself and try to get the information ?
    My friend's father is an old cars collector and knows very well a garage with all the paint tools, guns, etc... so that part would't be too much of a problem.

Keep me informed!
    Bye!
    Rom

4. stefx

stefx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Romberth and nigelbb,

I found a firm in "val d'oise" for our acrylic mirror.

Here is prices:

Acrylic Mirror silver 3mm

3050mmx2050mm = 224.26€ without V.A.T 19.6%
    2050mmx1525mm = 112.13€ without V.A.T 19.6%

I need, 1880mmx1060mm so for me it will be 134.11€ with V.A.T good price, I think ;)

bye

Stef

for this screen with borders of 5 cm each

Sanio Z3 distance Calculator

Is it better ? :oops: :clap:

5. MississippiMan

MississippiMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Romberth, nigelb, and stefx

Merci beaucoup pour tout votre intérêt !

Je souhaite que je pourrais venir à Paris et peins personnellement tous vos Light Fusion Ecrans !

Now that was a stretch back to High School French!

They sure do not teach you that stuff in Mississippi. Ya'all! :rotfl:

It would be better at this point if all of you discuss on this thread exactly what you want to accomplish. Relate to the PJs being used/considered. I'll do the evaluation as to the desirability of Gain-Size-MMud-SE Mix components.

And lose that image of the projector calculator! :eek:

Romberth,

To make and ship a Screen from the US to paris would cost as much for Freight as it would for me personally to come over and paint yours and a few others for free, save base expenses. (Cheap Airfare, borrowed Couch, and Escargot w/crackers & wine) :smashin: Really. I do this quite often, actually. (Well....., not the Escargot.)

If you all procure the Plastic Locally, and I ship MMud ahead of my arrival, I can be in & out of Paris in at or under 3 days.

I would be estatic to be able to do so for both your companions, and then walk across the water to GB and do 3-4 screens there as well. I can arrainge my schedule to suit most situations, and if 6 individuals all got together, the expenses would be minimal for each. I just need to survive, not make a single cent on the endeavor, opting only to both assure that everyone initially acheives the very best results, and later, through the posting of those results, encourage others to do likewise.

And besides all that, I still do not have a commemorative Shot Glass of the Eiffel Tower, or the [size=-1]Arc de Triomphe. I travel extensively, and Paris so far has only been a "Plane Change", never a stopover. I need/want those shot Glasses!

How cheap is cheap? Currently, for a trip to Paris between Sept 7th and the 15th (....leaving time to cross the Channel, squirt some screens there, and return to Fly home...) would only cost $1233.00 in USD, cheaper than a flight to London alone! Add in the Channel Ferry both ways and it's about $1400.00 USD total. Split 6 ways, that's just $233.33 each for my efforts.

That's the best thing I can offer, because just the Frieght alone is $1400.00 and the combined price to make & ship a single LF screen would be almost $1800.00 at the very minimum.

There has not been such Franco/Brittanic cooperation since "The Big One".

It's high time, and Light Fusion can make it happen! :clap:
    [/size]

6. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    MississippiMan,

That's a great offer but while the other two guys are I think in or near Paris I am about 1000km/600miles further south so would still be stuck with the problem of shipping a finished screen down here. Ignoring that fact it still works out cheaper than buying a screen & of course I get the benefit of Light Fusion:)

Just to take this a little further & please MMan I would like to hear your recommendations here. I have a Panasonic PTAE700 & my cinema room is a totally windowless cave. My maximum size screen is about 2.8m wide although as it's normally just me & my wife I guess we can live with a smaller screen & sit closer:) There are some higher priority things that I should be getting on with like carpeting the cinema but if there were an easy way for me to obtain a great LF screen I would grab the chance.

7. MississippiMan

MississippiMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I gotta go to Work (I do that sometimes....:rolleyes: ) but I'll respond this evening to any Email you send me.

nvisible@midsouth.rr.com

8. Romberth

Romberth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and sorry for the delay.

Thx for your offer Mississipiman, you are right, 1800 dollars is way too much for me.

I need a 2.80 meters width screen and the cost for the mirror delivered home, or at the garage where we're gonna paint it, is 370 dollars VAT included... Plus the cost of the paint, plus the cost of the gun... plus the rent of a vehicle to bring the screen back home... Doh.

I'm not saying it's expensive for the quality of the final result of course, but it's still some money. I personnally couldn't add to this the shared cost of your trip, very sorry for that.

I've talk to some friends that could be interested but they're all living in different cities like (idem for Nigel) , so a BBQ paint session is out of the question for now, they first want to see the result, screens, etc... We are only two people in Paris, Stephx (LCD) and I.

I have been re-reading again a lot of posts on AVS with some contradictory datas... and honnestly I'm not sure to understand 100%, so if you don't mind, I have a few simple questions :

I have a CRT, Sony VPH 1292. From what I understand, the mix is gonna be different for the LCD owners. If it is the case, can you ship a common base paint and let me do the mix myself? What is the best way to mix?

I have a choice between 2 and 3 milimeters thick mirrors. What is the best for a CRT?
    In case the "2" is the best (because no SDE to attenuate), will that diminish the "lit from behind effect"?

In the posts on AVS, i read different datas concerning the real gain of the LF screen, 1.5? 2.5? Very important for me cause the 1292 isn't famous for its brightness.

Something different : Have you thought of curving a LF screen?

That's all :)

Nigel, if the first LF are made in Paris, we can help you benefit from our experience and help you to to it yourself over the phone. Or you can come to Paris only for one afternoon and ship you screen back in the south... What do you think?

MMAN I wish you sunshine and no wind.
    Bye

9. MississippiMan

MississippiMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well, Sunshine I got, but after a stint at "Buffalo Wild Wings" last night, the "Wind" is rising.:eek:

10. MississippiMan

MississippiMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    :oops:

Romberth.

Apparently, my comment above in reply to your well wishing has been interperted as being an insensitve one. :( The truth is, and since we were trading almost "real time" posts, I did not correlate your statement with the events happening so close to home. Specific expressions of concern for my personal well being due to Katrina were made on another thread over the last 24 hours, expressions I did not view until early this AM, hours after my whimsical reply to you. I light of those expressed concerns, I've obviously come off as 'borish'.

I very much appreciate your concern & consideration, and certainly hope that no one will doubt my concern and appreciation of the gravity of what has happened. I'll be doing whatever I can, as many also are doing, to help alleviate whatever suffering so many are currently facing.

To any/all AVS'ers, thank you all for your concern, and the wishes for wellness. Please keep those in dire need in your thoughts and prayers, for those thoughts and prayers always wind up posted in the right place, and heard by the right Person! :smashin:

11. Romberth

Romberth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx for the answers Maurice.

So if I understand, there is no necessity for a special mix for my 1292. In the case i want to try different quantity of Silver Metallic on test panels, what is the best technique to obtain a good mix?

I would really appreciate your personnal evaluation of a LF screen gain, send me a mail or MP if you don't want to wake up the army of trolls, wich I totally understand.

BTW it never crossed my mind that you where joking about the situation in New Orleans, no problemo.

Wish you well.
    Rom

12. MississippiMan

MississippiMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Composed a lengthy reply, accidently hit "F5" and it went away. :eek: :suicide:

Watch for a repeat later.

MMan

13. Romberth

Romberth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn!...LoL

14. Romberth

Romberth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Helloooooooo!??

Maurice, I recap the questions :

So if I understand, there is no necessity for a special mix for my 1292. In the case i want to try different quantity of Silver Metallic on test panels, what is the best technique to obtain a good mix?

I would really appreciate your personnal evaluation of a LF screen gain, send me a mail or MP if you don't want to wake up the army of trolls, wich I totally understand.

.... And please... I ask this one one more time :

I have a choice between 2 and 3 milimeters thick mirrors. What is the best for a CRT?
    In case the "2" is the best (because no SDE to attenuate), will that diminish the "lit from behind effect"?

You answered <<< 3 Millimeters is fine. >>> Ok... I just want to know what will be the difference if I use a 2 millimeters.

Thx!
    Rom

15. MississippiMan

MississippiMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

Sawright. :hiya:

16. Romberth

Romberth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You truly are a devil... :)

Maybe I didn't make myself clear : How do I mix the paint? With a spoon? With my tongue? With a live frog?

Recap :

2 mm thick is (or could be) better for the LF effect but less workable, more difficult to set perfectly flat I guess...

I want the sharpest image possible, that's why I invested in a 9" 1292. If a LF screen wouldn't work with a classical 7mm glass mirror, cause the image would be blurred, doubled, echoed, right?... I don't get how a difference of a third in the thickness (2mm oposed to 3mm) wouldnt affect the sharpness.

Still waiting for the LF gain conference.

No more questions, exept :

Maurice... Is is safe?...

Is it safe?

Is it safe?...

17. Romberth

Romberth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UP and thx for your attention.

18. MississippiMan

MississippiMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    :(

I'm sorry if it seems I was ignoring you. I never received notification of your next to last post.

I was being tounge in cheek. There would not be any noticable difference in image quality IMO. Others however would dissagree.

Getting the Mirror flat enough to not see ANY distortion is not a requirement. Just don't have Lumps or dips.

And Romberth, I tell you the Truth.

Light Fusion done right will not only allow you to enjoy a greater degree of perceived gain, it will perform as well as, or in some instances, better than a $2000.00 Stewart StudioTek 130.

Yes. It's very VERY safe.

By the way, skip the idea of using the Amphibian. Use a "Squirrel cage" type mixer wand meant for use with a small drill. I'll post a pic of that impliment soon.