1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MMORPG's

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Dr Pumpstain, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MMORPG's seem to revolve around fantasy (dwarves, elves, orcs etc)environments which is ok (a bit cliche) but surely there are better ideas out there. Was thinking about what sort of game would attract me and keep me hooked and was wondering what you guys would like to see produced? My ideal game would be something along the lines of Mad Max but totally free roaming, not just in the deserts but the ability to visit the remains of the cities.

The upgrades for the cars would be cool too because it would just get older and more beat up but if you smash another guy's car up you could nick the bits off it to improve yours...and so the game rolls on...of course it would be based on the first movies so there would still be the cops (if you chose to be one) to catch you out....

Or how about a Fast and the Furious style game, again free roaming so you aren't just dropped into a race but can actually go somewhere under your own steam, fuel could be a factor too so you need to fill up or break down and be towed if you didn't plan properly. And then there's the racing for pink slips...spend ages building the best car and then erm win another one (or lose yours)...online car lots...endless possibilities...

I'll shut up now, random thoughts from a random guy...but what do you think?

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,793
    I think there is a Fallout based MMORPG coming out which might have the Max Max vibe you are looking for.

If you want something a bit different, what about Planetside? A MMOFPS?

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Anarchy Online is a futuristic MMORPG and is very established now.

Star Wars Galaxies is obviously Star Wars, although the game is supposedly quite dull, I am hoping the new add-on might make it worth buying, the whole idea of X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter across an entire galaxy is very appealing.

City of Heroes is set in the kind of future, it is a super hero game that is supposed to be a lot of fun.

EVE:Online is a space MMORPG, it is quite different to a lot MMORPGs and worth a look if you like a community type game although it does get a little dull now and again.

My thoughts on MMORPGs is not that they should differ in locale but that they really need to shake up the gameplay. I do not find a game that simply requires time to be that challenging. The games are simply too easy to play and require very little thought.

I hate this idea that they shouldn't punish bad connections so that the entire game is slowed down and they use auto attack. Personally I would rather see the games relie on skill, require a little manual dexterity and reward clever play. I would love to see a magic system like B&W where you cast spells based on being able to draw the magic. The better your drawing the more powerful the magic, cock it up and it fizzles out.

Swordplay would be better with some kind fighting game set up, where you can do different swings and combo moves.

The whole run up to creature, press auto attack, sit back and watch the fight now bores me.

4. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the star wars game looks good but I think it is a rebadged fantasy game. the middle-earth game out next year wil be more of the same but obviously more familiar territory for people who have seen the movies.

I would be more interested in the driving aspects of a game, especially if the viewing angle was akin to Vice City or Gotham, to be honest a Fast and the Furious style MMORPG game would be heaven to me...

I can't think of any game that offers this at the moment.

I used to play Ultima but that got really, really dull.

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I forgot to mention that EA did release a MMORPG called Motor City Online this was a racing game based on American Muscle Cars, unfortunately it flopped as soon as it was out of beta, basically was just a pants game.

It may be worth having a look at Shenmue online, given the strange RPGness of the single player game, it may well have some of the elements you are looking for.

6. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    The only MMORPG i'm looking forward to at the moment is Dark & Light. This looks like it will take the genre to the next level. Have a look here...

http://www.darkandlight.com/eng/index.php

I have never really liked the "gameplay" that exists in MMORPG's as essentially they are just glorified chat rooms where you move your character around and click on things from time to time. They are very basic and as Sinzer says, how "good" you are depends on how little a life you have in the real world. Time = Greatness and this needs to be replaced with Skill & Time = Greatness. Like Sinzer said the player needs to actually have to learn a skill themselves, like drawing spells with the mouse or performing combat techniques with the mouse and keys.

Skillfull players would then advance quicker and further than less skillfull players and some people simply wouldn't have the ability to reach the higher levels. This would make Skillfull players a real comodity that every group seeks to hire! Of course there should be a wide range of skills so that people who are not action orientated can excell in other areas! Crafting for example could require the learning of skills that actually require a huge amount of patience and a very steady hand. Other skills could look to favor people who are more creative - why not have personal armour designers who can go into a "sub screen design package" and produce works of art for people to wear. They would truely be one offs and people love to be able to stamp their individuality in MMORPG's.

MMORPG's as we know them today are still fairly new compared to traditional games and designers are still getting to grips with the possibilities that they offer. I expect that over the next few years we will begin to see some more creative offerings.

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Had a look around the site, I cannot really see how it will transform the MMORPG genre.

It seems to have the same class system as EQ, has a similar conquest system to DAOC and makes no mention of making combat or trade any different from the current method of auto-click with subsequent carpal tunnel syndrome :)

Mind you open beta starts next month, so I guess I can find out for myself.

I am a little jaded on all the claims these MMORPGs make, tbh it always seems to boil down to who has the most time to spend online.

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    The advancement in Dark & Light that I find most interesting is that leveling is not done just through combat. Players can level through social & Business concerns as well. As an example - There will be a complex political structure in the game where you can build up to become ruler of a town full of real life inhabitants.

Other advancements include the huge size of the photorealistic world (currently 40,000 sq KM increasing to 100,000 sq KM) which is actually a full world that you will eventually be able to travel right round. The dynamic weather system which actually changes the look of the environment (i.e. snow has a depth and covers up certain parts of the landscape and players also leave trails in the snow. Real wind and weather systems - so if the trees blow it's because of the actual weather system, not just an animation. For example in strong winds players and objects can be blown around and it is hard to walk against the wind.

The combat looks a lot more fluid with players actually blown away by magic and hits of a weapon depending on how they are hit - take a look at the movies. Whilst still falling on the more traditional side of combat they do seem to be making massive advancement in other areas to make the game less linear (i.e. in DAOC, AO etc you basically just go to the same places to level).

I wouldn't say it will Transform the genre but I do think it's another big step to help evolve the genre.

I do strongly agree with you though regarding the "time played = success" senario that most MMO games seem to run by. I've already mentioned my views on this above though.

9. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I wonder how it will compare to Shadowbane. The best political system I have seen in a game yet is EVE:Online. The politics there were immense, mainly due to the complete capitalist market it put into place. There were massive corporations all vieing for power and whole systems were locked down by alliances and fought over.

The nice thing about EVE:Online was that you didn't have to spend your whole life on it to get powerful. Skills were real time upgrades, you had to spend quite a bit of time raising cash, it was just a shame that cash farming and killing NPCs was so boring, the community was immense.

Dark and Light looks like it could be interesting, I will keep an eye on it.

10. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a quick question though...it's been a long time since my days of Ultima online...how powerful will your hardware need to be to run these games?

11. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    What PC have you got? MMORPGs are usually fairly forgiving in their requirements :)

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Some of the newer generation of MMORPG's that are coming out (EQ2, World of Warcraft, Dark & Light etc) will require a reasonably up to date machine but the older ones like Dark Age of Camelot and Anarchy Online can be run on fairly basic machines (say 1 to 2 gig processor, 256mb ram, GF3/4 graphics card). Obviously at least 512mb or ram is required for more modern gaming and more memory will improve a lot of games.

My mate was playing DAOC on a 750mhz Duron, low end GF4MX card and about 300 to 400 mb of ram until just recently. I think he struggled with the shrouded isles update though and he had to stick with the original graphics.

13. Dr Pumpstain

Dr Pumpstain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only got a packard bell laptop at the moment running 1800mhz 256mb ram, not sure on the graphics card (no real need when I only use it for championship manager)...no broadband though as I am out in banjo country...

14. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the matrix online was looking quite good a while ago as well if i remember correctly...

15. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    The weather and complete wrap-around world concept sounds great...but everything else sounds like the usual MMORPG promises. I dunno, I hope nothing great ever comes out again, as I don't need another timesink. MMORPGs are bad for your health...period. :D