1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mmm Strange By Taratino

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by bigjonnyauk, Jul 18, 2003.

1. bigjonnyauk

bigjonnyauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Maverick director Quentin Tarantino has decided to release his new film "Kill Bill" in two parts after the original cut of the film ran at three hours.

"The idea was thought of when the script was in development and after seeing the footage, it made sense," said a spokesman for Miramax Films.

The movie is the first from the director since 1997's "Jackie Brown," and has been widely anticipated by his fans.

But with preliminary versions running at over three hours, almost twice as long as a normal movie, cinemas risked losing ticket sales due to fewer screenings.

The movie is about a female assassin, played by Uma Thurman, who survives an attempt on her life and, after spending five years in a coma, sets out for vengeance.

The first part of the story is expected to be released on October 24, with the second part due to follow a couple of months later.

Splitting a film's story into two parts is unusual, but does have recent precedent.

The makers of "The Matrix" shot two sequels to that popular 1999 movie at the same time, and when the first, "The Matrix: Reloaded," debuted in May this year, producer Joel Silver made a point of saying "Reloaded" was only half of the story.

The second part, "The Matrix: Revolutions", hits cinemas in November.

Back

© ntl group ltd 2003

2. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I can gather, it wasn't actually Tarantino's decision...
    If anything he's not at all happy about it. Miramax boss Havey Wienstien has basically decided that 3 hours is too long and that he can make some extra money out of it.
    Hope it's not a trend starting - imagine LOTR would have probably be split into 6 films.......

3. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    All I can say is TIGHT

Let's hope the dvd release does not come in 2 parts :laugh:
    Now that would be a Joke

:D

4. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's bound to, two std releases two special editions and then the delux containing both parts
    More money more money

5. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    That's right

The Studios will be saying ( Show Me The Money )

:laugh:

:rotfl:

6. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i wont be going to the cinema to see it, i'll wait for the DVD. so that will be two tickets (or is that 4) that wont be bought.

Gary

7. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...... when u going to get the dvd, 1st film, 2nd film or about 12 mnths after the 2nd the full package ???

That's the problem...

8. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Pfft! Titanic was 3 hours long or therabouts. Didn't matter really. I fell asleep after 30 mins.

Big A

9. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    that depends on how they release it, but i work for blockies anyway so it wont cost me a bean to see it and when (if) i buy it i'll get a discount.

Gary

10. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    this sets a new and horrifying precedent for movies! now, instead of just one, we'll get.........trilogies!!! george lucas must be spinning in his chin! star wars could have been could have been 18 films! imagine the profit? seriously though, running times have expanded in the last ten years or so, it really does seem like a money making move on miramax's part.

11. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Personally, with this particular film, I like the idea of coming back. What I don't like is:

1) Paying twice for Cinema
    2) Paying twice for dvd
    3) If other companies decide to make any old 2 hr film a bit longer (with the deleted scenes usually deemed unnecessary), then split it in 2 and filling our screens with twice us much rubbish.