1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mmc v sd

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by G.M, Nov 23, 2002.

1. G.M

G.M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've a choice between using a mmc card or an sd card.Does anyone know which is best, or know a website(s) where I can get more information before making a decision?
    regards,
    G.M.

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    SD cards have the ability to safe store protected music, this is the main difference to MultiMedia Cards.

Also and SD card generally has faster transfer speeds than an MMC.

Though for digital photographic uses I personally think the differences are minimal. MMC's tend to be slightly cheaper as well.

Stick to the better brands such as San Disk and you will be ok.

3. G.M

G.M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply,Ekko Star. I've got a Kodak camera and I was
    looking to buy kodak accessories to go with it . They do a mmc card but not a sd card, even though the camera is compatible with both. Thought it was a bit strange.
    regards,
    G.M.

4. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Yes the physical form is virtually identical so the cards can be used in the same applications.

As I said before SD cards are more specific to music at the moment. So for digital photography you have your options open.

They are however very fast at transfer rates ranging from anything from 1mb/s right up to 10mb/s ! This though is probably not once again that critical for still photography.

As for brands, you don't have to stick with kodak as there are substantial savings to be had if you try alternate brands.

Best of luck.