Quantcast

MMA discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synchronicity

Mike Bisping,the UK fighter who won TUF3 series was due to make is UFC debut in this weeks TUF4 finale but his bout has been cancelled due to visa problems apparently:mad:

Personally I think it is just that all the American fighters are afraid to fight him;)

CFC1

Distinguished Member
Bispings a tough cookie alright. Funny though, that he should have a visa problem now, when he enjoyed the hospitality of the "Good Ol US of A" before, without any probs.....especially given that the UK now have visa waiver arrangements with the US.
The only thing I can think of, is if he has acquired a criminal record... now that, they take seriously and could indeed jeopardise entry to the country.

booyaka

damn - was looking forward to that - can;t wait to see him scrap!!!

booyaka

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventdetail.fightCard&eid=297

don;t forget - guessing on Sunday night on Bravo.

For me - Hughes will win a tough decision over GSP (would love to see GSP wipe the smug farmer boy smile off hughes face!!) Hope GSP wins but realistically Hughes again!!

Also Silvia v Monson - Silvia with ease for me.

Rest of the card - i can see Frank Mir getting beat again - he's look very very average since returning from bike accident.

Most of the other fights don;t look that interesting.

CFC1

Distinguished Member
For me - Hughes will win a tough decision over GSP (would love to see GSP wipe the smug farmer boy smile off hughes face!!) Hope GSP wins but realistically Hughes again!!

I agree...I can't see anything other than a Hughes win. However, I think it will be one sided with Hughes dominating and taking it to the ground early and either submitting GSP or stopping him. Hughes is too powerful and well rounded for GSP, particularly on the canvas.... God, I would love to see an upset though!

Again, I agree with you. This one won't go the distance, IMO. I can't see how Monson can win! Sylvia is by far the taller man with a vastly superior reach advantage and an awesome stand up repertoir. The faint hope for Monson, is if he manages to get Sylvia on the ground...but I can't see him getting past Sylvia's jab. A painful knockout to Sylvia for me!

BTW, was watching UF4 finale last nite. I must have been watching a totally different fight, 'cos I can't for the life of me fathom out how Serra got that decision over Chris Lytle.
Lytle's take down defence was excellent and apart from a few foot stomps, what did Serra manage to do? Meanwhile Lytle hit him with some good punches and kicks. Don't get me wrong...I like Serra..as a matter of fact, he was my favourite in the UF4 series, but IMO, this was definitely a political outcome.... Matt Hughes will destroy him....

Synchronicity

Hughes is too powerful and well rounded for GSP
I disagree with that,Hughes' stand up is pretty crap TBH,his wrestling and ground game are excellent but it is GSP who is the well rounded one-excellent striking and kicks and his ground game has improved massivley.

Heres a nice vid of GSP v Shaun Sherk in which GSP was the underdog.Maybe Im just being biased because I want GSP to beat Hughes ass,but I think he can do it:cool:

booyaka said:
Im not so sure it is that clear cut.Silvia does have a huge size advantage and will probably just try and constantly jab Monson and try an occasional big shot as Monson tries for a take down BUT if Monson does manage to take Sylvia down he will destroy him.Sylvia's ground game is not very good at all and Monsons is superb.Again,perhaps that it is just because that I want Sylvia to lose,Im being a bit blinkered:blush: (Have you seen Sylvia wearing his world title belt with his normal clothes?:rotfl: what a clown!Someone should tell him he is not supposed to use it as a real belt.)

booyaka said:
i can see Frank Mir getting beat again
I agree with you there,he has looked very average lately and Brandon Vera is looking superb.

BTW,BJ Penn is apparently going to be fighting at Lightweight again:clap: I cant see how he can lose at lightweight which is his natural weight:smashin:

CFC1

Distinguished Member
....but it is GSP who is the well rounded one-excellent striking and kicks and his ground game has improved massivley.Maybe Im just being biased because I want GSP to beat Hughes ass,but I think he can do it:cool:
I agree that GSP has improved since their first fight, but IMO Hughes is too powerful... I really want GSP to win too...desperately. Like Serra says, Hughes is a dick!

..Have you seen Sylvia wearing his world title belt with his normal clothes?:rotfl: what a clown!Someone should tell him he is not supposed to use it as a real belt.)
No, I haven't see it, but what a hoot! There is a man that is proud of his achievement and ain't ashamed to show it..:D
BTW, would you approach him and tell him it's a no no? .....Nor me!

booyaka

sunday night 19th @ 10pm on Bravo.

agree with all the above comments. hughes to win again - hopefully he should be a good scrap mind you as some of his last fights opponents have played right into his hands.

CFC1

Distinguished Member
WOW! I can't believe it.....GSP destroyed Matt Hughes. I for one didn't give him a chance..... but as you say Jason, he totally dominated him.....Well done GSP!:arty:

Agreed, Brandon Vera was excellent! :thumbsup:

Kazuya Mishima

YEAH! A great evening's viewing, a big well done to GSP!

Felt a bit sorry for Tim Sylvia - I haven't ever really liked him but thought he put in a fairly well-rounded performance, still gets booed by the crowd.

Roll on Chuck vs. Tito!

booyaka

SUPERB!!!!

Totally stoked for GSP - utter domination from start to finish. loved the fact that the farm boy didn't even know it was a kick that put him down!:D :D

Very Very boring heavyweight fight - total clash of styles and was never going to make a good fight.

Nice win from Vera and i hope he knocks sylvia out!!!

booyaka

good spot - will be an excellent card if they all stay fit and get VISAS!!!!

CFC1

Distinguished Member
Well fight fans, it's nearly upon us! This weekend Chuck and Tito battle it out for the 2nd time.... at UFC66

Here's an interesting article.....

Back when former President Bill Clinton’s libido got him into trouble, the smooth-talking southerner forced the nation to ponder what constitutes sex – and what does not.
And as Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell brace for Saturday night’s much-anticipated rematch, the outcome of the fight probably hinges on a Clintonian type of distinction: The difference between “thinking” and “knowing.” As the fisticuffs between former friends inches closer, what is going on inside of Ortiz’s head? Is he like The Little Engine That Could, “thinking” he can win? Or is he, like boxer Antonio Tarver before his historic upset over a once-invincible Roy Jones, ruled by a state of mind where he “knows” he will win?

I’m not a psychologist, but I play one in this column. Time for some gratuitous chest-pounding: I predicted Tarver’s victory over then-pound-for-pound king Jones – a pick nearly all of my reporter colleagues dismissed as crazy talk until it came to fruition and left ringside observers with mouths agape.
I vividly recall seeing Lebron James standing in the front-row, all blinged out in a white sweat suit and sporting jewelry that we can safely presume were diamonds, unless $150 million athletes have turned to cubic zirconia for their fashion needs. This scene will forever be etched in my mind of that night: Jones The Great sprawled out on the canvass unconscious, and Lebron shaking his head in disbelief and saying repeatedly into a cell phone: “I don’t believe the sh—that I’m seeing.”
Let me tell you, if Ortiz manages to upset Liddell, I too could wind up on my cell phone telling someone, “I don’t believe the “sh—that I’m seeing!” – provided Lebron doesn’t have the phrase trademarked, since pro athlete sorts like to copyright the most mundane, oft-used phrases these days.
Now if only Ortiz can get in Liddell’s face before the fight and ask him sarcastically, “Got any excuses tonight, Chuckster?” Hey, it worked for Tarver.
Though a 2 to 1 underdog, the Ortiz bandwagon seems to grow by the hour, with people reminding me of how talented and ****** off he is. On paper, I can see where they’re coming from. Ortiz is the stronger of the two, a superior grappler, a solid striker and boasts exceptional cardio. Liddell has a Kangaroo pouch for a stomach, the worst haircut in all of sport, and questionable stamina if pushed hard past the second round.
Liddell is a hard hitter and has awesome ground defense, but what about his age? He’s 37 after all, making him an anomaly in a sport dominated by twentysomethings and champs about 30 or so. What if Liddell, with a 19 and 3 record, gets old overnight?
Ortiz, meanwhile, is only 31 and riding a five-match win streak, which is supposed to boost his confidence coming into second go-round with Liddell (Buyer Beware: Two of those wins were over an aging Ken Shamrock, who lost 7 of his last 9 fights before retiring). The self-proclaimed Huntington Beach Bad Boy has said repeatedly he does not fear Liddell, a former training partner whom he dodged several years ago, though The Iceman begs to differ.
Make no mistake, Liddell’s public comments are serious fighting words. Growing up in blue-collar Baltimore, long before anyone had dreamed up the genius idea of an Ultimate Fighting Championship, I learned all too well that even seeming pacifists have a boiling point at which they will behave like pugilists.
Among enemies, there are well-established limits about what should – and should not -- be said. At the top of the “Never Say This To Your Enemy” list is this taboo: Any derogatory comment about the other guy’s Mama. The other big No-No is calling the other guy a coward, which is essentially what Liddell did.
On occasion, that kind of trash-talking can transform puny David’s into ferocious Goliaths. But will the insult embolden and rile Ortiz, who was knocked out in his first fight with Liddell?
What is certain is that, as usual, Ortiz’s long and spirited walk toward the Octagon is worth the price of admission, regardless of how the fight plays out.
No fighter milks drama better than Ortiz on his way to the ring. He doesn’t walk; he marches. Hero to some and villain to others, he favors an intense and fiery look rather than the stoic stare so many fighters wear.
Ortiz carries with him a two-sided flag which represents his own heritage: one-half American, one-half Mexican. Loud music will pump and the crowd will go wild. Rest assured, all of New Year’s Eve on the Strip will prove a distant second to the hair-raising electricity of that moment.
It would be memorable if Ortiz stole a page from Tarver on Saturday. In fact, on paper Ortiz matches up much better against Liddell than Tarver did with Jones. Tarver was much slower and less spectacular than Jones, and had not fought any big names. But he had in his favor that which is difficult to measure: He had obsessed about Jones for years after losing to him as a teenager. He knew Roy Jones’ tendencies inside and out and, most importantly, stepped into the ring knowing he would win.
When I interviewed Ortiz last month, I did not sense that same obsession, that same fire for revenge, that same conviction in himself. I perceived a gifted fighter who is still trying to win a battle in his own mind, perhaps still telling himself “I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.”
The odds are heavily stacked against someone with a “Little Engine” mentality toppling a great champion in his prime – and that is precisely what Liddell, winner by six straight knockouts, is at the moment. Despite his age, Liddell does not have a lot of wear on his body because he hasn’t had many wars and only 22 fights.
Still, in mixed martial arts, anything can happen in the blink of an eye, which is why we will all be watching. If Ortiz can somehow produce a fast-paced fight and take the match into the third round, he may manage an upset and prove a lot of us to be liars. Otherwise, if he loses again, he can see the situation as win-win: He will have pocketed a nice payday and probably never have to fight Liddell again.

I've got a funny feeling about this one... I can see Tito, getting past Chuck's jab and taking him down...end of fight! :eek:

CFC1

Distinguished Member
It's finally here.... UFC66 is taking place tonight. :thumbsup:
It is being shown on Bravo on Monday at 9.00pm! :smashin:

CFC1

Distinguished Member
Match-ups and weights:

UFC Light Heavyweight Championship
Chuck Liddell (205) vs Tito Ortiz (205)

Forrest Griffin (205) vs Keith Jardine (205)

Chris Leben (186) vs Jason MacDonald (184)

Andrei Arlovski (236) vs Marcio Cruz (236)

Michael Bisping (205) vs Eric Schafer (205)

Thiago Alves (170) vs Tony DeSouza (171)

Gabriel Gonzaga (244) vs Carmelo Marrero (220)

Rory Singer (185) vs Yushin Okami (184)

Anthony Perosh (236) vs Christian Wellisch (235)

Status
Not open for further replies.