MMA Discussion Thread

Is he more of a grappler then, what sort of level is he at on the BJJ front compared to other HW UFC fighters do you think?

His dad Andy is a BJJ coach. I think he coached the Kaobon guys. So that's Darren Till but more notably Terry Etim who had a great sub game and Paul Sass who was the original T-City.

So he's been raised in that world. He'll be a high level black belt.

Khabib vs Gaetjhe in October.

I'm excited. I'm excited about any fight where someone presents a challenge to Khabib who I want beaten every time he fights. He's the most overrated GOAT contender out there. Obviously with the caveat that by normal standards he's very talented.

Losing out on the Ferg fight is heartbreaking because El Cucuy had the tools to beat him. Justin is an easier match up but still a very tough task for anyone.

I'll be rooting for Justin big time on this.

I'm excited. I'm excited about any fight where someone presents a challenge to Khabib who I want beaten every time he fights. He's the most overrated GOAT contender out there. Obviously with the caveat that by normal standards he's very talented.

Losing out on the Ferg fight is heartbreaking because El Cucuy had the tools to beat him. Justin is an easier match up but still a very tough task for anyone.

I'll be rooting for Justin big time on this.
Tony just didn't look like he had anything in the fight with Justin though. Justin just took him apart. I don't think that Tony would stand a chance against Khabib. Maybe this Justin does though. He really appears to have stepped up his game and he'll be preparing big time for this fight. I desperately want Khabib beaten too. So boring to watch, no matter how good he is.

Tony just didn't look like he had anything in the fight with Justin though. Justin just took him apart. I don't think that Tony would stand a chance against Khabib. Maybe this Justin does though. He really appears to have stepped up his game and he'll be preparing big time for this fight. I desperately want Khabib beaten too. So boring to watch, no matter how good he is.

I think Tony got complacent and hurt his conditioning with those back to back weight cuts.

On his back, which is where Khabib will put him, Tony has a good guard game and long legs with which to catch out Khabib. I wonder what Justin has from his back when his game is primarily punches and leg kicks.

Looking forward to seeing what Weidman can do this weekend. Back at 185. No longer ranked.

He needs a win or it's over.

Looking forward to seeing what Weidman can do this weekend. Back at 185. No longer ranked.

He needs a win or it's over.
Hope he gets finished I can’t stand the bloke

I don't mind him. He was unlucky to not get more credit for making Silva seem human.

Reasonable card this. I'll swerve that WBW fight but Dariush, Stewart, Weidman and Lewis should be worth a watch. Well, it depends what Lewis shows up. The good one or the fat bum who gets in his own head.

HeavyweightDerrick Lewisvs.Aleksei Oleinik
MiddleweightChris Weidmanvs.Omari Akhmedov
MiddleweightDarren Stewartvs.Maki Pitolo
Women's BantamweightYana Kunitskayavs.Julija Stoliarenko
LightweightBeneil Dariushvs.Scott Holtzman

Beneil Dariush looked superb - missing weight for the fight but really impressive.

Chris Weidman just looks like an ex-champ on the way down....yes he won, but nothing suggests to me he's on his way back to the top any time soon.

Derrick Lewis - Just a scary man....ridiculous power in the hands and his ground and pound is relentless when he gets the chance.

Can't argue with any of that. I liked Dariush's interview after. He's got a good head on him.

Weidman looks so sloppy with that stand up. He was in so much danger in the 2nd. Anyone in the top 10 will punish that and put him to sleep easily. His cardio looked dreadful.

Lewis. Yeah, that was something. He was in a lot of trouble too though in that first round. I don't see him ever being champ, something is off about his mentality I think.

DC v Stipe then.

I think I want DC to win but if he does, it'll likely be less entertaining to watch as a fight. But I reckon Stipe has to be the favourite just because of DC's age.

I hope DC retires after, regardless.

I want DC to win too, but think he got lucky in the first fight. I think Stipe has this.

I think Stipe will finish DC yet again.
Probably in the 4th or 5th but tire him out and then a big finish.

I think Stipe takes him out in the 2nd.

DC is a great bloke and role model but the first fight he won by substantial eye pokes, he should've been disqualified, he already poked Stipe 2 or 3 times, scratching at his face then just blatantly throws his fingers out in his eye and then a few seconds later catches him in the clinch on the side Stipe cant see out of.

Eye poke wasn't a the deciding factor - Stipe just had a little more about him. 3 excellent fights - props to them both.

I do think Ngannou is next in line and beats Stipe....Jon Jones giving it big chat on twitter but he can't just jump in at HW and expect a title shot right away.

Shame about O'Malley - looks like the same injury from before which is worrying for him.

TWood vs Colby - Not sure who I dislike more....Would love a double KO in that fight for them both to loose!:D

Not a great card for me too to bottom, I skipped most of it.
Agreed I thought the main event was a borefest despite the overhyped commentary. I’m a big fan of Chito Vera so it was good to see him get the win over the utterly obnoxious O Malley especially as he landed a kick which lead to the injury.

I'd say the eye poke was a big factor in so far as DC was badly compromised in the 5th but he did need a finish as Stipe had enough rounds banked by then. That said, I couldn't see a finish coming. DC dropped some bombs on him.

O'Malley isn't very likeable but that was a tough way to go out. That kick from Vera didn't look like anything but O'Malley must have been in a lot of pain with it.

Not the best event overall. I think I preferred the prelims.

Hope it live up to the hype - Israel Adesanya vs Paulo Costa

Should be a belter!

Why is it that everyone that Adesanya fights looks like they should be in a weight division above him. I guess his height adds the weight? Romero looked like he should be fighting someone like Stipe/DC

I'll be hoping Costa KOs him. I find Izzy to be absolutely insufferable. He's such a dork and I say that as someone with an 80s arcade game as his avatar!

Very impressive performance from Nemkov last night in Bellator I wonder if we might see him in the UFC soon?

Bader getting TKOd was a shock. Fat Roy losing a decision wasn't. He's looking to go out with one last fight against Meathead Matt.

The UFC was a bit of a weird one. Objectively it was good with lots of finishes and a typical Frankie Edgar war but I couldn't have been less engaged with it. Such a low quality card on paper and because it was at the Apex, it felt like a series of TUF fights.

Frankie winning was good but it was close (a split) so I don't think it gets him near the title. I'd give him a top 5 and then a contender fight and if he's still able to spell his own name I'd give him the title shot.

Christ, I don't even remember who the champ is at 135 right now. It was so much more fun when we had the Cruz/Cody/TJ beefs going on.

Bader getting TKOd was a shock. Fat Roy losing a decision wasn't. He's looking to go out with one last fight against Meathead Matt.

The UFC was a bit of a weird one. Objectively it was good with lots of finishes and a typical Frankie Edgar war but I couldn't have been less engaged with it. Such a low quality card on paper and because it was at the Apex, it felt like a series of TUF fights.

Frankie winning was good but it was close (a split) so I don't think it gets him near the title. I'd give him a top 5 and then a contender fight and if he's still able to spell his own name I'd give him the title shot.

Christ, I don't even remember who the champ is at 135 right now. It was so much more fun when we had the Cruz/Cody/TJ beefs going on.
I thought Munhoz won that fight.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom