Quantcast

MMA Discussion Thread

booyaka

@repoman - I would remove any comments about torrents/illegal uploads etc before a section mod arrives!

Hawklord

So who's your choice McGregor or Cowboy?

Cowboy is my favorite fighter in the UFC and hope he give's McGregor a whooping.

I doubt that will happen though and believe McGregor will be too accurate and strong finishing Cowboy early. Cowboy tends to start slow too so a good match for Connor at this weight imo. If Cowboy gets it to the ground early he may stand a better chance of a submission and surviving the earlier rounds and will get stronger as the fight goes on.

Not long to wait now.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Will be interesting to see McGregor's skill-set after so long out of the Octagon. I know he trains hard for a fight, but there's something to be said about the benefits of competing more regularly than he does. This goes for any sport really. Training and practise is one thing, and whilst useful, the situation of the actual event/game, etc. is different.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
@MarkyPancake thats the decider for me.

McGregor at his best beats Cerrone 9 out of 10 but he's been half assing his MMA career for years now.

That said he was half assing before the Khabib fight and still became the first guy to take a round off him.

Either way he still shouldn't be getting a Khabib rematch even if he beats Cerrone decisively. Give him someone like Gaethje first, assuming that he'll be returning to 155.

mitch

Distinguished Member
If Cowboy tries to stand and trade he’ll get knocked out in the 2nd round. If he fights smart and uses leg kicks to take away Conors movement and mixes in some takedowns he could get a win in the later rounds.

mitch

Distinguished Member
UFC Brasilia card looking very solid

Kevin Lee x Charles do Bronx
Demian Maia x Gilbert Durinho
Johnny Walker x Nikita Krylov
Amanda Ribas x Paige VanZant
Maryna Moroz x Mayra Sheetara
Elizeu Capoeira x Alexey Kunchenko
Rani Yahya x Enrique Barzola
Veronica Macedo x Bea Malecki
Jussier Formiga x Brandon Moreno
Francisco Massaranduba x John Makdessi

repoman

I'm not sure why everyone is writing off Cerrone. I think it's a good, competitive match. I do think Conor has a very good chance of winning but he likes to sit at a long punching range and pick people off and for me that'll be perfect shin range for a Cerrone headkick.

I can see this hitting the side of the cage and having a lot of tedious grappling though.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I'm certainly not writing off Cerrone. He can't be underestimated. Conor should win this, but it won't be a walk in the park. He needs to be fighting more regularly, but he's only after the paychecks, so picks and chooses and doesn't seem to care if he loses.

djcla

Distinguished Member
Would not be shocked to see Cerrone win, just not convinced by McGregor's camp coaches etc but maybe I'm wrong.

mitch

Distinguished Member
Would not be shocked to see Cerrone win, just not convinced by McGregor's camp coaches etc but maybe I'm wrong.
Cerrone could certainly win if he fights smart which he won’t. I think he’s more interested in trying to put on an exciting fight which will end up with him being knocked out.

djcla

Distinguished Member
Cerrone could certainly win if he fights smart which he won’t. I think he’s more interested in trying to put on an exciting fight which will end up with him being knocked out.
He is a big guy with good striking and grappling skills, if he fights smart he should win. I think all the exciting fight talk is for show but we shall see.

booyaka

Got to say that McGregor looks very relaxed, way more happy/laid back that his previous few fights.

I know it's been a while for him to get back but he looks and sounds like he's really enjoying the build up and looking forward to the fight.

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
I agree. I've watched some McGregor interviews and his demeanour and body language seem different for this fight. Shame it's on BT Sport Box Office, as I'm not paying for that, so don't know when I'll see the fight and will be difficult to avoid spoilers.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Wowsers. That was quite some performance. Would love to see him knock out masvidal.

booyaka

Indeed - superb stuff. Donald had no clue what hit him at all....

djcla

Distinguished Member
I made a mistake and skipped forward too much lol. I wanted to watch the main event before the rest of card do I don't get any spoilers and then ruined it for myself. Great performance though and a good way to deal with the clinch.

Mystery Man

What a 40 seconds. Would have been nice to see it go longer just to see how Conor performed if it had went further but can’t take that win away from him, what a match. If his running left had connected at the very start it could have been even shorter.

hopefully he keeps himself clean and keeps this behavioural approach to training and fighting.

repoman

Nah, man. After 30 secs I was hoping the ref would step in. Anything over 40 would have been criminal. Cowboy was done. His only hope is that it went the way of Carwin vs Lesnar!

Stunning performance by Conor. Absolutely impressed.

Even though Cerrone is the 'better' human, this was the best result as it sets up loads of exciting fights. And we don't lose anything because Cerrone will go on to fight some one in the lower reaches of the top ten.

I just hope he gets a win within the next two or else he's in danger of becoming a BJ Penn and he deserves better than that.