MMA Discussion Thread

certainly whets the appetite

I bet Mighty mouse is shivering in his boots watching TUF (whatever number it is) )

I bet Mighty mouse is shivering in his boots watching TUF (whatever number it is) )
I'm re watching old seasons of TUF. I'm currently on Season 3, the one with Bisping. Its hilarious

It is comical.

The fights are definitely a much higher quality this season, but you just know that there is a pre-recorded segment from Dana for each and every fighter, making the case for how that guy is the perfect style/power/ground game/striking/whatever to give Johnson (who has already fought everyone without being stretched at all) a fight.

I'm not a big fan of fighters moving up chasing higher belts (I'm looking at you Conor) but in DJ's case I don't understand why he hasn't. He is utterly dominant at 125, considered a P4P great, and has fought at 135 before. McGregor is chasing that 2 belt status so hard, yet Johnson seems to have no interest. He could have legitimately called for a 135 shot ages ago.

it makes me cringe @DrPhil watching it Dana's comments are so cheesey and if these guys were that good they would be in the UFC already I'm sure. DJ will walk through whoever wins ive no doubt about that. P4P great to me means you conquer 2 divisions and for me that comes down to DJ and DC currently and if Conor wins the LW belt you cant imo really argue against him being the best P4P in the UFC.

It is comical.

The fights are definitely a much higher quality this season, but you just know that there is a pre-recorded segment from Dana for each and every fighter, making the case for how that guy is the perfect style/power/ground game/striking/whatever to give Johnson (who has already fought everyone without being stretched at all) a fight.

I'm not a big fan of fighters moving up chasing higher belts (I'm looking at you Conor) but in DJ's case I don't understand why he hasn't. He is utterly dominant at 125, considered a P4P great, and has fought at 135 before. McGregor is chasing that 2 belt status so hard, yet Johnson seems to have no interest. He could have legitimately called for a 135 shot ages ago.

I think I remember reading an interview with him where he said he wasn't interested in moving up and he wanted to break Andersons title defence record. Add that to the fact that he'd be fighting Cruz who's already beat him and you can see why he won't move up. In my opinion I'd bin off 125 anyway and merge it with 135.

In other news there's rumours of Moose vs Hall 2 headlining the Belfast card whic I think would be a great fight.

In other news there's rumours of Moose vs Hall 2 headlining the Belfast card whic I think would be a great fight.

Not just a rumour, unfortunately it's a replacement fight rather than an addition.

Gunnar Nelson is injured and out of the main event with Kim.

Mousasi vs Hall is a better main event, but Nelson had the adopted Irish angle so the atmosphere will take a hit.

In my opinion I'd bin off 125 anyway and merge it with 135.
Tottally agree I also think they should cut half the rosta and have fewer but higher quality cards as lately they have been shockingly watered down

Tottally agree I also think they should cut half the rosta and have fewer but higher quality cards as lately they have been shockingly watered down

There are rumours that the new owners are looking to put on less cards next year.

Quality over quantity.

Did anyone else feel the promotion for 204 was distinctively subpar?

Me being me i'll have to bring the subject up again but what can I say to convince him that MMA is not all bad?

Tell him to watch UFC 2. That's the one I always show anyone that doubts the need for grappling. After they've admitted that grappling is important, they surely have to accept that mixing martial arts is the logical way forward. If your colleague isn't convinced of this after watching that, he's burying his head in the sand.

Last edited:
Tell him to watch UFC 2. That's the one I always show anyone that doubts the need for grappling. After they've admitted that grappling is important, they surely have to accept that mixing martial arts is the logical way forward. If your colleague isn't convinced of this after watching that, he's burying his head in the sand.
I was gonna rnc him at his desk until he went to sleep but I guess getting him to watch ufc 2 would at least keep me in employment.

Remember also that UFC 2 features a bout between 2 Karate fighters (Rhodes vs Ettish) both of whom have zero grappling experience. Within one minute, they've abandoned their Karate and are rolling around on the floor trying to learn grappling on the fly and failing badly. It'd be interesting to hear what your Karate workmate says about that.

Remember also that UFC 2 features a bout between 2 Karate fighters (Rhodes vs Ettish) both of whom have zero grappling experience. Within one minute, they've abandoned their Karate and are rolling around on the floor trying to learn grappling on the fly and failing badly. It'd be interesting to hear what your Karate workmate says about that.
I doubt he'd even watch it, in case his Sensei found it
he's probably one of those people who isn't allowed to train anywhere else as his sensei told him not to.

To be honest, since our last conversation, he has spoken a word to me.

Faber's fight against Brad 'No Wins' Pickett is going to be his last. He's retiring.

What a career. And going out on a guaranteed win against the worst fighter in the UFC (aside from Joanne Calderwood).

Lol, bit harsh on both Pickett and Calderwood!

Pickett really needs to retire too though. He was annihilated in Manchester. Not sure why they have taken him on a loss and given him a much tougher fight. Probably just so they can give Faber an easy send off.

Faber's fight against Brad 'No Wins' Pickett is going to be his last. He's retiring.

What a career. And going out on a guaranteed win against the worst fighter in the UFC (aside from Joanne Calderwood).

That's way harsh on Pickett mate the dude always comes to fight and some of his WEC fights were epic.

Pickett is right up there with Paul Varleans , as far as losing badly goes [emoji3]

Bisping claims that he has signed to fight GSP at UFC 206 in Toronto. Says he is waiting for GSP to agree.

No word on whether it's for the belt or just another "superfight" that the new owners are so keen on.

Bisping claims that he has signed to fight GSP at UFC 206 in Toronto. Says he is waiting for GSP to agree.

No word on whether it's for the belt or just another "superfight" that the new owners are so keen on.
That would be a very winnable fight for GSP

I'm not so sure.

Bisping has always had great takedown defence, he would have a major size advantage and GSP hasn't fought in 3 years.
I'm not saying it would be easy but it's certainly less risky than some of the fighters being spoken about

Is there any chance of Bisping fighting the number one contender instead of all this hand picking bollocks?

GSP has posted on his facebook that he is keen to fight Bisping and met with Dana last week to "resolve" things, but unfortunately it's not happening.

Georges St-Pierre | Facebook

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom