MMA Discussion Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS Bigstu, Kalib Starnes vs Alan Belcher. Doctor stopped the fight between rounds because of a cut on Starnes forehead. I remember either the doctor or one of the cornermen saying that the cut was so deep he could see the skull!

PS Bigstu, Kalib Starnes vs Alan Belcher. Doctor stopped the fight between rounds because of a cut on Starnes forehead. I remember either the doctor or one of the cornermen saying that the cut was so deep he could see the skull!

I remember that now but stops in MMA due to cuts are not as frequent as they are in boxing. I sometimes wonder whether the guy checking the cut is in fact Dana White in disguise:D

Definitely bit as common as boxing. Thankfully.

I was just thinking before the other night that I hadn't seen a cut stoppage in ages.

Remember Koscheck vs Lytle and Penn bs Stevenson? 2 of the bloodiest fights I've even seen. There's a picture of Stevenson (easily found on google images) of him on his hands and knees after the loss, face completely scarlet with blood, and crying. Not one for the squeamish.

Struve vs Stonjic was another epic bloodbath.

Bigfoots eyes are so deep-set they were like egg cups filling with blood.

I never saw the actual cut, but WOW it was a gusher

He might have had a slim chance if he could stand, but it was a dangerous place to be blind; on his back with Cain dropping bombs

DrPhil said:
Definitely bit as common as boxing. Thankfully.

I was just thinking before the other night that I hadn't seen a cut stoppage in ages.

Remember Koscheck vs Lytle and Penn bs Stevenson? 2 of the bloodiest fights I've even seen. There's a picture of Stevenson (easily found on google images) of him on his hands and knees after the loss, face completely scarlet with blood, and crying. Not one for the squeamish.

Struve vs Stonjic was another epic bloodbath.

Bj penn vs Diego Sanchez was a stoppage wasn't it?

andywiltshire said:
Bj penn vs Diego Sanchez was a stoppage wasn't it?

Think you're right. That was a crazy cut. BJ's leg was on the way down again and the blood started streaming. Looked amazing in the slo mo replay.

Although not UFC, Diaz was stopped via a cut against KJ Noons too.

I remember that now but stops in MMA due to cuts are not as frequent as they are in boxing. I sometimes wonder whether the guy checking the cut is in fact Dana White in disguise:D

When you mentioned cuts, the fight that immediately came to mind was Belfort vs Eastman. I've just watched it again and it was actually a TKO, not a cut stoppage. If it had not been a TKO though, what do you think the chances of the doctor letting him continue with this cut? It has to be the worst one I've ever seen in MMA. :rolleyes:

Ps. I think Belfort vs Couture was stopped due to a
cut on the eyelid but I can't remember who was cut.

Boris360 said:
When you mentioned cuts, the fight that immediately came to mind was Belfort vs Eastman. I've just watched it again and it was actually a TKO, not a cut stoppage. If it had not been a TKO though, what do you think the chances of the doctor letting him continue with this cut? It has to be the worst one I've ever seen in MMA. :rolleyes:

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIUqvNMBsu8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ps. I think Belfort vs Couture was stopped due to a
cut on the eyelid but I can't remember who was cut.

No way it would have continued. That cut was actually very similar to Starnes cut against Belcher, except Eastman's was worse.

It was Couture who lost in that fight, losing the HW title in the process. I thought it was actually a cut/scratch to the surface of the cornea from the edge of Belfort's glove. I could be wrong though.

Speaking of Belfort, he has broken his hand in training so he is out of the 147 main event against W Silva, the coaches fight for TUF Brazil. Wanderlei has branded him unprofessional and a coward!

Razor said:
Just read the payouts for last weekends fight. Cain got paid more than JDS which seems a bit unfair seeing as JDS is the champ.

UFC 146 Salaries: Heavyweights Dos Santos, Mir, Velasquez Lead Payroll with $200,000 Purses

He didn't get more, they both got $200k.

Bear in mind that Cain got $100k basic and $100k win bonus while JDS got $200k basic. The fact that JDS didn't get a win bonus suggests that his contract includes a cut of PPV revenue so he will end up with more than $200k.

He didn't get more, they both got $200k.

Bear in mind that Cain got $100k basic and $100k win bonus while JDS got $200k basic. The fact that JDS didn't get a win bonus suggests that his contract includes a cut of PPV revenue so he will end up with more than $200k.

I see I thought he got $200,000 plus another $100,000. I didn't know they also got a cut of the ppv revenue. Any ideas how much JDS would of made that night?

Razor said:
I see I thought he got $200,000 plus another $100,000. I didn't know they also got a cut of the ppv revenue. Any ideas how much JDS would of made that night?

Not all fighters get a PPV cut but when you see a fighter at the top of the scale not getting a win bonus it usually indicates that they are on a PPV cut deal.

No idea if JDS definitely is, or what his percentages are.

Brock Lesnar's basic pay at UFC 100 was (I think) $400k. Once sponsors and his PPV cut from the 1.6m buys went on, it is rumoured that he made about $4M.

Not all fighters get a PPV cut but when you see a fighter at the top of the scale not getting a win bonus it usually indicates that they are on a PPV cut deal.

No idea if JDS definitely is, or what his percentages are.

Brock Lesnar's basic pay at UFC 100 was (I think) $400k. Once sponsors and his PPV cut from the 1.6m buys went on, it is rumoured that he made about $4M.

Wow, $4m is a nice pay out.

Dan Hardy made 120k out of that night. Not a bad living!

Not bad at all. I wonder how much goes to their trainers/coaches etc....

Franklin has stepped in for belfort at 147 excuse me if I don't get excited about that one :(... It's about as exciting as watching Tito fight griffin again. The card was already weak , for me with all the fighters they have you would expect decent cards and fights.

Franklin as usual the company man who'll do anything he is asked.

In fairness their first fight was good, and a close decision that some felt Silva should have got.

I'm a fan of Franklin, but the reality is that his best days are behind him.

I think both fighters are pretty irrelevant in the current climate, but maybe that might make for a more interesting fight, fingers crossed.

Anyone else seen Cole Konrad fight before he is the Bellator HW champ. He is a massive guy probably around 285lbs and has a very good wrestling background . I wonder if he could challenge in the UFC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom