MMA Discussion Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasnt the last Heavyweight TUF the one with Kimbo Slice?
From what i remember it had some pretty shocking fights

yep but the HW devision is one of the weakest and needs more tallent, the last HW season produced Matt Mitrione, Big Country etc so it was a success imo.

djcla said:
yep but the HW devision is one of the weakest and needs more tallent,

We disagree again!

The 146 card showed that there is plenty of HW depth around. The likes of Miocic for example will only get better.

Flyweight has about 10 fighters at the minute!

JDS returning as a TUF coach? For the love of god... just stop.

Are these people fking idiots?

If I was commissioning that bullsh*t I'd pick Meathead Matt vs Roy Nelson. Total insanity but with decent fighting credentials.

I remember having a conversation with someone as they said that MMA fighters were jack of all trades and master of none and I countered that with examples of fighters, like GSP, who held multiple black belts.

As for JDS, he does have good boxing skills but he is also a Brown belt in BJJ and clearly has good takedown defense to keep all his fights standing which means he must have trained wrestling, at least defensively.

If he was only a boxer, Mir would have taken him down and then taken his arm home with him :)

Twas me!!

and perhaps not 100% right about if he was only a boxer Mir wouldve taken him down, boxer probably wouldve not given his arm up in the first place.. ;)

Anyway, i know you all disagree with me on this one so no point going over old ground :D

JDS returning as a TUF coach? For the love of god... just stop.

Are these people fking idiots?

If I was commissioning that bullsh*t I'd pick Meathead Matt vs Roy Nelson. Total insanity but with decent fighting credentials.

I agree. The coaches need to be fighters who are as mad as hell.
Meathead against Nelson? I'd tune in for that :thumbsup:

We disagree again!

The 146 card showed that there is plenty of HW depth around. The likes of Miocic for example will only get better.

Flyweight has about 10 fighters at the minute!

i did say one of the weakest and im bored of these little guys on TUF. Anyway all UFC 146 showed was some good fights at HW and the majority of the fighters on the card will not be challenging for the title anytime soon. Seriously after Cain who is there to take out JDS in the current roster? I have high hopes for Stefan Struve but i dont think he is there yet.

i know Struve is tall but is it me or does he seem a little on the "small" side for a heavyweight?

i did say one of the weakest and im bored of these little guys on TUF. Anyway all UFC 146 showed was some good fights at HW and the majority of the fighters on the card will not be challenging for the title anytime soon. Seriously after Cain who is there to take out JDS in the current roster? I have high hopes for Stefan Struve but i dont think he is there yet.

The same could be said about some of the other divisions as well.
Who is likely to beat GSP?
Apart from Sonnen, who can beat Silva? and Jon Jones looks unbeatable at LHW
The LW division looks the most interesting at the moment

mooperman said:
i know Struve is tall but is it me or does he seem a little on the "small" side for a heavyweight?

He's a but lanky, but he is still young. He seemed a little bulkier in his last fight though.

He looks slim because he is soo tall.
I don't see Struve challenging just yet, I think he is too easy to hit

The same could be said about some of the other divisions as well.
Who is likely to beat GSP?
Apart from Sonnen, who can beat Silva? and Jon Jones looks unbeatable at LHW
The LW division looks the most interesting at the moment

hmmm at least you can say at LHW there are more contenders who have a shot e.g. Henderson.

WW i think there are quite a few contenders who could beat or at least put up a good fight against GSP.

LW i agree is the strongest and closest division which is why it puzzles me we have another TUF in that catagory.

MW is pretty strong and some interesting challenges ahead for Silva but could probably do with some additions.

My point is at HW there just isnt anyone who will even give JDS a fight, Big Country was his toughest challenge to date and thats because he has a granite chin.

Doing some work at On Top 5 tomorrow night in Glasgow so get some nice cage side seats to report on the action, will throw some pics up from the event when i'm there.

Last edited:
djcla said:
hmmm at least you can say at LHW there are more contenders who have a shot e.g. Henderson.

My point is at HW there just isnt anyone who will even give JDS a fight, Big Country was his toughest challenge to date and thats because he has a granite chin.

I don't think Hendo has any more of a chance than Evans has, the only thing in his favour is Jones' mental state following his DUI charge (and the question of why he had 2 25 year old women in the car at the time, and neither was his fiancé).

As regards HW, I think the Celasquez rematch has to be seen after how fast the first one was. After that match Overeem will be back on the scene and Dana has already said that he will still be in line for a title shot.

After the Overeem challenge, Cormier will have arrived from Strikeforce. So that's 3 solid challengers lined up!

And by the time those 3 fights have passed, we should have some idea what the likes of Miocic and Struve for example are doing.

Yeah Struve seems to be filling out his frame more and more each time i see him.

His main problem as others have said is his tendency to get hit too much, but he finally showed some improvement in that area against Johnson. He got tagged a few times so he pulled guard and got the submission fast.

He's a solid kickboxer so he shouldn't be getting owned in the standup so much. But with that height, kickboxing ability and super ground game he could be a force in a few years time.

DrPhil said:
I don't think Hendo has any more of a chance than Evans has, the only thing in his favour is Jones' mental state following his DUI charge (and the question of why he had 2 25 year old women in the car at the time, and neither was his fiancé).

As regards HW, I think the Celasquez rematch has to be seen after how fast the first one was. After that match Overeem will be back on the scene and Dana has already said that he will still be in line for a title shot.

After the Overeem challenge, Cormier will have arrived from Strikeforce. So that's 3 solid challengers lined up!

I think hendo will ko jones in the fight and then retire if he has any sense but just my opinion.

JDS will destroy DC i just not convinced by him

My seat tonight

8fbd8ea3.jpg

Nobody talking about tuf finale???

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom