MMA Discussion Thread XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
djcla said:
Anyone else seen Cole Konrad fight before he is the Bellator HW champ. He is a massive guy probably around 285lbs and has a very good wrestling background . I wonder if he could challenge in the UFC ?

I know he trained with Brock a lot. Never seen him fight though.

Bellator 70 highlight should be on YouTube he was on that

Thought UFC 146 was a great event. Couple of very quick stoppages from the Sky Scraper and Big Country, whom i'm really warming too of late after having watched a couple of his fights now.

JDS is a bit of a stand up animal isn't he...

Must say I do like these Heavyweight events, as very rarely do any of them go the distance.

What a mess BigFoot was at the end of his fight. Thought the guy couldn't get any uglier :laugh:

Someone on here mentioned a long while ago least i think they did, that if you were a complete master of one martial art then you should not need any others . I was thinking that is JDS a prime example of this as he seems to be a master boxer and is so quick on his feet that he does not need any other skillsets like BJJ etc.

Someone on here mentioned a long while ago least i think they did, that if you were a complete master of one martial art then you should not need any others . I was thinking that is JDS a prime example of this as he seems to be a master boxer and is so quick on his feet that he does not need any other skillsets like BJJ etc.

I remember having a conversation with someone as they said that MMA fighters were jack of all trades and master of none and I countered that with examples of fighters, like GSP, who held multiple black belts.

As for JDS, he does have good boxing skills but he is also a Brown belt in BJJ and clearly has good takedown defense to keep all his fights standing which means he must have trained wrestling, at least defensively.

If he was only a boxer, Mir would have taken him down and then taken his arm home with him :)

djcla said:
Someone on here mentioned a long while ago least i think they did, that if you were a complete master of one martial art then you should not need any others .

I think that theory died around UFC 12...

Maia and Palhares are masters of BJJ but they're not champions. James Toney is a hell of a boxer but...

As for JDS, he does have good boxing skills but he is also a Brown belt in BJJ and clearly has good takedown defense to keep all his fights standing which means he must have trained wrestling, at least defensively.

takedown defense in my view always seems like common sense and not something you would need a great deal of training in. Howver ive not been in the ring with someone trying to take me down lol

:eek:

Well I wholeheartedly disagree! :D

Me too and JDS has never been put on his back so he must have done some serious Wrestling training

:rotfl: well i just thought id throw that out there i maybe underestimating the skill involved

and of course a brown belt in BJJ is no easy thing to get. I would say that an average fit and healthy twenty something male, training two to three times a week would take, on average, between 6-10 years to get a brown. Mayeb someone like Boris can confirm this:thumbsup:

and of course a brown belt in BJJ is no easy thing to get. I would say that an average fit and healthy twenty something male, training two to three times a week would take, on average, between 6-10 years to get a brown. Mayeb someone like Boris can confirm this:thumbsup:

oh ive no doubt its hard to get a BJJ belt as it looks highly skilled. Do they teach take down defense in BJJ similar to that of wrestling TTD or are the techniques totally different?

djcla said:
takedown defense in my view always seems like common sense and not something you would need a great deal of training in. Howver ive not been in the ring with someone trying to take me down lol

I've got pretty good takedown defense and for my last fight I trained for a kickboxer but he said he had saw my fights online and saw that i had heavy hands so that resulted in me getting put on my ass time after time lol for 15 minutes. Something I train hard at now so I don't get that embarrassment again :) Don't skimp on the takedown defense training lol.

So it's Patrick Cote in for Franklin against Le and Shane Carwin has been given the all clear to fight again. Never thought he would be back.

Cain and JDS are reported to be the next TUF coaches, or UFC live its now called i think... :smashin:

Lets hop they do another HW edition as im getting tierd of the lighter weight classes as that seems to be all they have done in TUF latley

djcla said:
Lets hop they do another HW edition as im getting tierd of the lighter weight classes as that seems to be all they have done in TUF latley

Don't get your hopes up. The flyweight division is brand new and low in numbers so I wouldn't be surprised to see them featured. They could do 2 classes though, means that they could do 2 fights per Friday too.

oh ive no doubt its hard to get a BJJ belt as it looks highly skilled. Do they teach take down defense in BJJ similar to that of wrestling TTD or are the techniques totally different?

It depends on the club tbh. For the BJJ clubs that focus on MMA I would say yes, but the ones that focus purely on sport BJJ rarely do any stand up work at all.

id like to see a female TUF with Ronda as a couch but obviously there is no female division as yet in the UFC.

Wasnt the last Heavyweight TUF the one with Kimbo Slice?
From what i remember it had some pretty shocking fights

BigStu1972 said:
Wasnt the last Heavyweight TUF the one with Kimbo Slice?
From what i remember it had some pretty shocking fights

Yeah, cardio out the window.

I doubt that they will do another HW version for a while after that debacle.

Did anyone hear that K Flo announced his retirement yesterday?
I didn't think he was that old, I wonder if he's realised that his role as gatekeeper is the highest he's going to achieve, and just wants to go away and do his own thing. If that's so, then I anticipate his return within 2 years...

He has an ongoing back injury that forced the decision.

Shame, he was a solid fighter but could never quite hit the top. He's moving into broadcasting for the UFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom