Quantcast

MMA Discussion Thread Part XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
And again...

Continued from here.

And a reminder how long we've been around!

MMA Discussion Thread Nov 06 - Dec 08

MMA Discussion Thread Part II Dec 08 - May 09

MMA Discussion Thread Part III May 09 - July 09

MMA Discussion Thread Part IV Jul 09 - Oct 09

MMA Discussion Thread Part V Oct 09 - Feb 10

MMA Discussion Thread Part VI Feb 10 - May 10

MMA Discussion Thread Part VII May 10 - Aug 10

MMA Discussion Thread Part VIII Aug 10 - Nov 10

MMA Discussion Thread Part VIIII (IX) Nov 10 - Mar 11

MMA Discussion Thread Part X - Mar 11 - Aug 11

MMA Discussion Thread Part XI - Aug 11 - Nov 11

MMA Discussion Thread Part XII - Nov 11 -Feb 12

MMA Discussion Thread Part XIII - Feb 12 - May 12

MMA Discussion Thread Part XIV - May 12 - August 12

MMA Discussion Thread Part XV - Aug 12 - Dec 12

MMA Discussion Thread Part XVI - Dec 12 - ?

Last edited:

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
with regards to Melendez, do you think he'd get a shot at the title as his first UFC fight or will Dana make him fight a top 10 guy first?
I think Melendez has enough hype to get a shot, plus there isn't any clear no 1 contender in the UFC, (possibly Pettis if he beats Cerrone, given that Henderson's last defeat was against him).

It's an interesting debate on the SF champs. Obviously when Pride went under, any Pride champs who came to the UFC (only Henderson) were given unification fights against the UFC counterparts, hence Dan Henderson fighting both Rampage and Silva.

Should the same happen with Strikeforce? They are the no 2 promotion, like Pride were. Then again there isn't the same history and legendary status of fighters like Fedor, Big Nog, Cro-Cop, W Silva, Rua etc that Pride had. What makes it awkward is that some of the SF champs are worthy of a unification fight such as Melendez. But is Nate Marquardt really worthy of a WW shot in the current crowded WW picture? And would he take one against teammate GSP? Would the UFC have him back considering that they cut him for a drugs bust?

Last edited:

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
Indeed and this is where the future for TUF lies, imo.
Did I hear right that Japan or China are doing a TUF series next? I'd love to see some really good Japanese fighters make it in the UFC.
I think they could also do one in Europe and have German, Dutch and French fighters in it as i'm sure there's plenty of nuggets to be found there
TUF India is supposed to be next. Never seen any Indian fighters in any promotion, but the MMA scene is growing there as a few fairly big events have been held there.

England vs Ireland would be fun... There are a few very good prospects coming through in Ireland, especially at lower weights. Conor McGregor being the pick of the bunch probably.

djcla

Distinguished Member
id much rather see a mix of nationalities in the main US TUF's myself it makes it far more interesting for me.

BigStu1972

Distinguished Member
TUF India is supposed to be next. Never seen any Indian fighters in any promotion, but the MMA scene is growing there as a few fairly big events have been held there.

England vs Ireland would be fun... There are a few very good prospects coming through in Ireland, especially at lower weights. Conor McGregor being the pick of the bunch probably.
I think Wrestling, or a version of it, is quite big in India. If they already had that as a base it would help.

I think Ireland should get their own TUF but the UK have already had two so not sure who Irelands opponents would be, if not UK or England.
I'd still prefer Europe, maybe Europe vs USA, like the Ryder cup.

djcla

Distinguished Member
I think Wrestling, or a version of it, is quite big in India. If they already had that as a base it would help.

I think Ireland should get their own TUF but the UK have already had two so not sure who Irelands opponents would be, if not UK or England.
I'd still prefer Europe, maybe Europe vs USA, like the Ryder cup.
i guess the only issue with this and my thoughts on a mixed nationality TUF are that you are limited to english speaking fighters.

repoman

TUF's sort of running out of steam now.

TUF16's talent pool is ludicrously poor. Not many of them are getting a shot on the finale. Same with Smashes. How bad were those Aussie fighters? Awful. The UK weren't much better either.

TUF17 has to pin the freakshow that is Jones v Sonnen on it to make it interesting.

UK vs Ireland? No thanks. Europe vs USA? Nope.

A comebacks season is the only way I'd be interested.

mooperman

Distinguished Member
A comebacks season is the only way I'd be interested.
now THAT could be interesting... kind of a "best of".....

problem is, youre asking a lot of them who still get fights easily enough (leben for example) to give up their home and family for around 2 months, i think they would stuggle to put up with that when they are already relatively famous...

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
now THAT could be interesting... kind of a "best of".....

problem is, youre asking a lot of them who still get fights easily enough (leben for example) to give up their home and family for around 2 months, i think they would stuggle to put up with that when they are already relatively famous...
It worked last time because the prize was a title shot. It's worth a try, take a division that's not stacked and run a TUF offering a title fight to the winner.

Who knows, the next Matt Serra could be loitering out there waiting to KO Jones, JDS, Silva or Henderson!

What about HW? Arlovski, Sylvia, Barnett for starters. None are stuck for opponents, but a shot at the UFC belt commonly called the biggest prize in MMA isn't something many could turn down. I think Pedro Rizzo is still fighting too. Sergei Kharitonov, even Brett Rogers. It's just too epic!

Last edited:

mooperman

Distinguished Member
thats a pretty good point actually.... most of the belt holders are pretty much unbeatable at the moment, Silva/Jones/GSP(when he shakes his ring rust).... so perhaps this would be a good way to go... question is, who would/could coach them.... :confused:

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
thats a pretty good point actually.... most of the belt holders are pretty much unbeatable at the moment, Silva/Jones/GSP(when he shakes his ring rust).... so perhaps this would be a good way to go... question is, who would/could coach them.... :confused:
Couture and Brock!

On a serious note, Chuck and Tito would actually work except they're both retired. The coaching wouldn't be a big deal though with that kind of cast. Probably better to, have actual coaches rather than fighters. Jackson, Delagrotte, Gracie etc. Not sure that would work though, too big a comittment for guys with loads of other fighters.

Last edited:

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
i didnt know GSP called out Diaz>?
Dana White was asked if Hendricks was next in line and he said that he wasn't sure because GSP had specifically asked for Diaz.

GSP can claim its because of disrespect etc but at the end of the day Diaz poses very little threat (IMO) to him while Hendricks is a threat to anyone.

It also makes a joke of the title, possibly even worse than the Jones vs Sonnen issue. Hendricks is on a big win streak, including Koscheck, Fitch and Kampmann. Diaz is coming off a loss AND a drugs suspension and hasn't beaten anyone of the calibre of the 3 I mentioned.

BigStu1972

Distinguished Member
It also makes a joke of the title, possibly even worse than the Jones vs Sonnen issue. Hendricks is on a big win streak, including Koscheck, Fitch and Kampmann. Diaz is coming off a loss AND a drugs suspension and hasn't beaten anyone of the calibre of the 3 I mentioned.
I disagree, Diaz was in line for a title shot before the drugs thing and GSP's injury and most of us were looking forward to them both fighting so they do kind of have unfinished business. But I do agree that Hendricks is the more dangerous fighter :thumbsup:
Sonnen vs Jones is a different kind of joke altogether.

repoman

Diaz had that dominant win over BJ Penn but that's looking less impressive these days. Prior to that he beat Paul Daley who is a bit rubbish (and also heavily rocked Diaz in that fight). Add to that his stupid performance against Condit and the suspension and I say he's due a tough tune up fight against someone before he jumps the Hendricks queue.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
I disagree, Diaz was in line for a title shot before the drugs thing and GSP's injury and most of us were looking forward to them both fighting so they do kind of have unfinished business. But I do agree that Hendricks is the more dangerous fighter :thumbsup:
Sonnen vs Jones is a different kind of joke altogether.
It's tough that he missed his shot due to injury, but that's the game. If he had sat out waiting for GSP we'd all have moaned. But he took a fight and lost it. Same happened to Pettis. I have no problem with him not dropping down the list too far, but he still shouldn't get the shot ahead of someone with a run like Hendricks.

djcla

Distinguished Member
This is kinda why Bellator is so different to the UFC with the tourny style in that the winner gets the shot.

As for Diaz in my eyes and a lot of other peoples he beat condit so is a worthy contender. Id also say he is a huge threat both on the feet and on the ground with subs etc.

BigStu1972

Distinguished Member
As for Diaz in my eyes and a lot of other peoples he beat condit so is a worthy contender. Id also say he is a huge threat both on the feet and on the ground with subs etc.
Diaz is a threat on his feet only if you stand in front of him and trade, and only then if he hits you with multiple punches. GSP is pretty mobile so I reckon he would beat Diaz in a kickboxing contest anyway but GSP will definately beat Diaz with his Wrestling, which is where he'll likely take the fight. GSP hasn't been submitted since 2005, when he was 23 and still very wet behind the ears so I just cannot see Diaz subbing him from his back.

djcla

Distinguished Member
The Diaz brothers i admit do see a little one dimentional in that they can attempt subs from their back or box. Wish they would work on the kickboxing and wrestling a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.