MMA Discussion Thread Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrPhil

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
And we keep on going...

Continued from here.

And a reminder how long we've been around!

MMA Discussion Thread Nov 06 - Dec 08

MMA Discussion Thread Part II Dec 08 - May 09

MMA Discussion Thread Part III May 09 - July 09

MMA Discussion Thread Part IV Jul 09 - Oct 09

MMA Discussion Thread Part V Oct 09 - Feb 10

MMA Discussion Thread Part VI Feb 10 - May 10

MMA Discussion Thread Part VII May 10 - Aug 10

MMA Discussion Thread Part VIII Aug 10 - Nov 10

MMA Discussion Thread Part VIIII (IX) Nov 10 - Mar 11

MMA Discussion Thread Part X - Mar 11 - Aug 11

MMA Discussion Thread Part XI - Aug 11 - Nov 11

MMA Discussion Thread Part XII - Nov 11 -Feb 12

MMA Discussion Thread Part XIII - Feb 12 - May 12

MMA Discussion Thread Part XIV - May 12 - August 12

MMA Discussion Thread Part XV - Aug 12 - ?

Last edited:
I agree with Stu btw. I wouldn't say the LHW division is weak. It just happens that Jones has been prolific. Not only battering people, but fighting very regularly.

I still look forward to it though. There's Hendo first. Then the Machida rematch, which is the only one of the 4 potential rematches that is actually interesting. Then guys like Gustafson and Texeira and possibly Phil Davis. I honestly don't think Sonnen will ever get near a LHW title shot.

And we keep on going...

Continued from here.

And a reminder how long we've been around!

MMA Discussion Thread Nov 06 - Dec 08

MMA Discussion Thread Part II Dec 08 - May 09

MMA Discussion Thread Part III May 09 - July 09

MMA Discussion Thread Part IV Jul 09 - Oct 09

MMA Discussion Thread Part V Oct 09 - Feb 10

MMA Discussion Thread Part VI Feb 10 - May 10

MMA Discussion Thread Part VII May 10 - Aug 10

MMA Discussion Thread Part VIII Aug 10 - Nov 10

MMA Discussion Thread Part VIIII (IX) Nov 10 - Mar 11

MMA Discussion Thread Part X - Mar 11 - Aug 11

MMA Discussion Thread Part XI - Aug 11 - Nov 11

MMA Discussion Thread Part XII - Nov 11 -Feb 12

MMA Discussion Thread Part XIII - Feb 12 - May 12

MMA Discussion Thread Part XIV - May 12 - August 12

MMA Discussion Thread Part XV - Aug 12 - ?

Just started reading the first thread and the talk was around Hughes V GSP 2. It’s funny how most people thought Hughes was unbeatable and that GSP didn’t stand a chance. If it proves anything it’s that all great champions careers come to an end at some point and they will lose. It will happen to GSP & Silva soon, if they don’t retire first that is.

Some news too...

There were rumours that Fox were unhappy at the quality of cards the UFC were putting on the main broadcasts. They won't be complaining now...

UFC on Fox 5 is scheduled for December 8th. Headliner is Ben Henderson vs Nate Diaz. Supported by Penn vs McDonald and Shogun vs Gustafson! Hell of a lineout, and there's still room for another. Fox events usually have a 4 fight main card.

Glad to see Henderson straight back in too. Long gaps between title defences are a pain so great to see Henderson and Jones wasting no time.

Aldo, GSP, JDS and Cruz have been slowed down by injury, Condit is choosing to wait for GSP rather than defend the interim belt and Silva seems happy to fight twice a year. He's not planning to fight again until early 2013.

BigStu1972 said:
Just started reading the first thread and the talk was around Hughes V GSP 2. It’s funny how most people thought Hughes was unbeatable and that GSP didn’t stand a chance. If it proves anything it’s that all great champions careers come to an end at some point and they will lose. It will happen to GSP & Silva soon, if they don’t retire first that is.

I loved watching Hughes back in the day. One of my early favourites. Although his striking was awful, he wasn't a lay'n'pray merchant even though his wrestling pedigree gave him the tools to be just that. Always going for GnP and had a superb submission game.

Silva seems happy to fight twice a year. He's not planning to fight again until early 2013.

That sucks. It also means that we dont get to see weidman fight again until then

I loved watching Hughes back in the day. One of my early favourites. Although his striking was awful, he wasn't a lay'n'pray merchant even though his wrestling pedigree gave him the tools to be just that. Always going for GnP and had a superb submission game.

Me too, although after Hughes appeared on TUF I slowly went off of him.
He was a very dominant champion though and I thought he was unbeatable at the time.

BigStu1972 said:
That sucks. It also means that we dont get to see weidman fight again until then

Weidman hasn't been confirmed as no 1 contender yet. Silva's team have been running down his credentials etc.

I think Dana is waiting for the outcome of Stann vs Bisping. I think if either of them win impressively they'll get the shot. If they don't look good doing it, they might face Weidman first with the winner getting Silva.

That would leave too long a gap for Silva though. I think the UFC are just having trouble persuading him to take the Weidman fight.

Weidman hasn't been confirmed as no 1 contender yet. Silva's team have been running down his credentials etc.

I think Dana is waiting for the outcome of Stann vs Bisping. I think if either of them win impressively they'll get the shot. If they don't look good doing it, they might face Weidman first with the winner getting Silva.

That would leave too long a gap for Silva though. I think the UFC are just having trouble persuading him to take the Weidman fight.

Who ultimately decides who the fighters have to fight? Is it the UFC (Joe Silva/Dana White) or is the fighters manager?
In Boxing, champions can duck other fighters for years without ever being stripped of the title, i'd hate to see the UFC fighters following that path.

Who ultimately decides who the fighters have to fight? Is it the UFC (Joe Silva/Dana White) or is the fighters manager?
In Boxing, champions can duck other fighters for years without ever being stripped of the title, i'd hate to see the UFC fighters following that path.

My understanding of boxing (could be wrong) is that the fighter is contracted to the manager, and the manager then arranges the fights with the different organisations etc. So in that situation Anderson Silva would have a contract with Ed Soares rather than the UFC, and Soares would negotiate with the UFC or Strikeforce etc. That would of course give the fighter or manager more power than the organisation.

I think one of the big benefits of having 1 major organisation like the UFC is that they have the power. Fighters can’t duck other fighters because the UFC holds their contract so they fight who they have to, or they don’t fight. As far as I remember from the Couture/UFC/Fedor battle, a standard UFC contract guarantees a fighter a set number of fights within a set timeframe. If the UFC don’t offer you a fight within that time then they are in breach. But if they offer and you refuse then that’s your tough luck. They have not broken their agreement to offer fights.

Of course the downside of the 1 big organisation situation is that the UFC have maybe too much power. But aside from the occasional disgruntled fighter, the majority tend to praise the UFC, and not just to keep in their good graces. There was an interesting article a while back (I may have posted it a while ago) where Sean McCorkle posted on the Underground (the MMA site, not the tube) about his recent UFC contract. He lost 2 of 3 fights and was cut, but during his contract he was paid approximately 40% more than he was entitled to. He won a fight bonus, and in 2 other fights he received extra cheques simply for putting on a good fight.

Of course there are still some refusals. Shogun Rua allegedly (he denies it) turned down a fight with Glover Teixeira. Lyoto Machida turned down a fight with Rashad Evans unless he got a pay rise to “Anderson Silva money”. Melvin Guillard says that 3 other guys turned down the Cerrone fight before he stepped up. But I think when it gets to the title, it’s a different story. If there is a clear number 1 contender then you can’t just refuse. That’s why the UFC hate the “I don’t fight teammates” argument. Dana once said that Koscheck wouldn’t get another WW title shot unless he fought Fitch first. Kos said he’d move to MW to solve the problem!

So to answer the original question, I think the UFC (Silva/White) control the decision 90% of the time.

And interestingly on that note, Daniel Cormier says he wants a HW title shot if (when) he beats Frank Mir. But if teammate Cain Velasquez is champion by that time he says he will cut to LHW and go after Jon Jones!

Sonnen is starting to turn his sharp tongue in the direction of Jon Jones so I guess he's seeing Griffin as a stepping stone to the title. Jones sounds a little bit bemused by it all.

I'd give Sonnen about a 5% chance against Jones.

Too small, not enough power, too vulnerable to subs. Jones is better everywhere except wrestling.

I don't think he'll even get past Griffin.

Dan Henderson must not know what to make of it. Everyone is busy planning Jones's future fights as if Hendo didn't exist!

Sonnen is starting to turn his sharp tongue in the direction of Jon Jones so I guess he's seeing Griffin as a stepping stone to the title. Jones sounds a little bit bemused by it all.

i think jon jones would batter sonnen and not even break a sweat!!

Also, as much as i love Griffin he's no stepping stone these days.

I don't think he'll even get past Griffin.

I didn't realise that Griffin and Sonnen had fought before. Griffin won via triangle choke in the first round.

BigStu1972 said:
I didn't realise that Griffin and Sonnen had fought before. Griffin won via triangle choke in the first round.

Yeah it was years ago though. Both much different fighters now but I still think Griffin will win comfortably.

Ps, Sonnen losing by triangle? Who'd have thought it... :laugh: That was the first of many...'

Last edited:
Surprised that you think Griffin will win easily. He's looked super blaverage in some of his fights. Still, you may be right.

Rousey's beginning to really y'know annoy me y'know like totally y'know.

I want Kaufman to punch her head clean off.

haha, got to love the early parts of the thread - Im trying to convince people that some guy called GSP is quite good, and will beat the unstoppable Matt Hughes :laugh:

Dan Henderson must not know what to make of it. Everyone is busy planning Jones's future fights as if Hendo didn't exist!

Dan is the underdog for a reason , but I will be having a few bets on him, make no mistake, the odds should be delicious. Jones hasn't been caught flush very often, I think Machida caught him once or twice, and I got the impression Jones didn't like it much. If Henderson can keep plodding forward long enough , and capitalise when Jones loses concentration for a second, it could be lights out. Hopefully anyway.....

and who was that making fun of the lovely Rhonda? shame on you, she is awesome:devil::love:

Hendo has so much power its stupid last guy I really remember winding him up proper was Bisping and look what happened there. Although Bones isn't doing the winding up its the press I bet he will be Mega fired up.

Hendo has so much power its stupid last guy I really remember winding him up proper was Bisping and look what happened there. Although Bones isn't doing the winding up its the press I bet he will be Mega fired up.

He'll be mega gassed as usual.

Just watched Anderson Silva v Dan Henderson (UFC 82) for the first time.

Jesus ****ing Christ, man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any of you get to see the Rousey vs Kaufman fight?? Man that girl is a demolition... She took her out in 54secs of the first round via... Guess.... Yep, Armbar!!!

6-0. All 1st round armbars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom